Guide By: yewjhin
There are 21 Trophies that can be earned in this title.
• Estimate difficulty: 2/10
• Offline: 9
• Online: 3
• Approximate time: 10-20 Hours (With Boosting), 30+ (Without Boosting)
• Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1+
• Missable trophies: None
• Glitched trophies: None
• Cheats disable trophies: No cheats as far as I know
• Difficulty affects trophies: No
Trophy Breakdown: 7 | 4 | 1
Magic: The Gathering (commonly referred to as Magic or MTG) is an established trading card game since 1993 and now makes its way to the Playstation 3. Players will start with a basic deck of cards that follows a certain theme and duel against the AI opponents in offline Single Player or Co-op Campaign, or Online against other players using a variety of creatures and spells summoned from the deck. As you win, more decks and cards can be unlocked and you will be able to customise your deck to a certain extent. The basic objective of each duel is to reduce your opponent's life to zero, or make them run out of cards to draw, though there are other means to victory.
Useful MTG Resources:
Being a trading card game, there is no one way or best way to go about the game given the endless possibilities of ingame situations and combinations possible in MTG. It all comes down to which set of cards suits your personality, playstyle and your knowledge of the opponent's deck as well as your own.
Step 1: Complete Single Player Campaign
The Core Game's Campaign has a total of 16 Duels and you need to win all of them to unlock Epic Conclusion trophy. Also try to work on Life Preserver while going through the campaign.
Step 2: Complete Co-Op Campaign
You may play the offline Co-Op Campaign with a friend on the same console or by yourself with two controllers. There are 14 Duels in the Co-Op Campaign. Do refer to Master of Artifice trophy for tips.
Step 3: Complete Challenges
8 Challenges are available that throw you into tight situations right away and your task is figure out a solution to avoid defeat and/or achieve victory on the same turn. Do refer to Puzzling Master trophy for details. You will also have unlocked Devastator at the end of this step.
Step 4: Complete Online Trophies and Planswalker
Select "Play Magic: The Gathering on Playstation Network" to play online. Win 5 Ranked Matches for Duelist, 1 Game of Two-Headed Dragon for Defender of Foriys, and an additional 4 matches (total of 10 matches) of any type for Duel Master. Spellsinger is a viral trophy and you will need to seek out someone who currently has it and beat him. The last one you need is most likely Planeswalker, you can either keep playing and win against the AI or find a boosting partner to work on this which will reduce your required playing time to achieve 100% significantly.
Step 5: Complete DLC: Expansions 1, 2, 3
For those of you with the DLCs, each Expansion introduces more Campaign duels, Challenges, Additional Decks and more Unlockable Cards as well as 3 trophies for each expansion. Do refer to the following guides for each DLC.
[PS3T Would Like to Thank yewjhin for this Roadmap]
|Win a game||(2)|
Achieve victory in any Single Player or Multiplayer game to unlock this trophy.
|Increase your life total to 30 or more in single player, or 60 or more in Two-Headed Giant||(1)|
This is easily done in Single Player. You will start off with 20 life so you just need to gain an extra 10 life. This can be easily done by playing a Custom Duel against AI, using a Green "Teeth of the Predator" deck against Garruk or Nissa while having a couple of Wurm's Tooth (Gain 1 life for each Green spell) in play. Garruk plays a Green deck, whereas Nissa plays a Black-Green deck. All you need to do is to block any attacks and play Natural Spring (Gain 8 life) when you have it for an easy trophy.
|Magic: The Puzzling|
|Complete a challenge|
See Puzzling Master below.
|Deal 20 combat damage to a player in a single turn in a game||(1)|
As the the trophy says, you must deal a total of 20 damage to a player in a single turn. The 20 damage can be spread across any way you like, through the use of spells, abilities and/or creature(s). This can be easily obtained in the second campaign battle or a Custom Duel against AI using the Green "Teeth of the Predator" deck, just play lots of lands and creatures, Blanchwood Armor, Overrun, and Giant Growth to increase your attack also keep up some pressure by attacking periodically forcing him to block and sacrifice his creatures.
|Defender of Foriys|
|Win a Two-Headed Giant game|
Select "Play Magic: The Gathering on Playstation Network" then Player or Ranked Match choose to host or join a Two Headed Dragon game. This is basically a 2v2 mode similiar to the Co-Op Campaign and can be either played by having 4 individual players separated into 2 teams, or played by you and a guest player on your console against another opponent and his guest player.
|Defeat someone who has earned the Spellslinger trophy||(5)|
This is a Viral trophy and you will need to defeat any player that has unlocked it. Seek out the Trophy Boosting Thread if you need help with it.
|Win 5 ranked PlayStation Network matches|
Select "Play Magic: The Gathering on Playstation Network" then Ranked Match and choose to host or join a current game. There are 4 types of Ranked Matches: 2 player Versus, 3 and 4 player Free for All, and Two Headed Dragon (2v2) matches. Playing alot and having good observation skills, and obviously a good balanced deck will increase your chances of winning.
|Defeat Tezzeret in the final single-player campaign battle|
There are 16 Duels in the Single Player core campaign and you must win the first duel to unlock the next one and so on. Playing on Mage (Easy) difficulty definately speeds up the pace as opposed to playing on Planeswalker (Hard) difficulty.
|Complete all challenges||(2)|
Select "Play Magic: The Gathering" then select "Challenge" to access a list of 8 challenges available for you to test your wits in various difficult situations. These challenges will test your ability to analyze, strategize and execute your plan to earn victory in one turn or suffer defeat. If you stuck with a particular challenge, do refer to Rappappar's excellent Challenge Guide.
|Master of Artifice|
|Defeat Tezzeret the Seeker & Sarkhan Vol in the cooperative campaign|
Select "Play Magic: The Gathering" then select "Co-Op Campaign". This is just like the Single Player Campaign except you now play with a friend beside you (or with 2 controllers) against 2 AI opponents. There are 14 Duels and again you must beat the first one to unlock the next and so forth. Tezzeret & Sarkhan are the final pair in this Campaign. Playing on Mage (Easy) will help alot as on harder difficulties both AI players are smarter and can string together card combos and effects that leave you frustrated.
3. Ensure you have enough lands in BOTH hands from the start otherwise pause and restart the duel. The mana pool is NOT shared (i.e player 2 cannot tap player 1's lands for mana). Having 1 player with insufficient lands effectively renders him useless (Mana Screw or Mana Short in MTG Jargon) as he can't play anything and the other player will have an uphill task of battling against the 2 AI players on his own until the other player gets lucky and starts drawing lands.
|Win 10 PlayStation Network matches|
All you need to do is win a total of 10 matches of any game type online. You will have won 6 games if you've done Defender of Foriys and Duelist trophies above, so just win 4 more games in either Player or Ranked matches.
This trophy is a little tricky. Basically you need to have complete the Campaign, the Challenges, and unlocked all the cards for each deck. Each time you win a game of any type in Single Player or Multiplayer, you will unlock a card for the deck you're currently using. Certain decks are unlocked upon completing the Single Player Campaign. You can press in the main menu to see a list of decks you've unlocked, number of cards unlocked for each deck, as well as change decks and/or customize them to a very limited extent.
|DLC: Expansion One|
|Cost: 4.99 Trophies: 3|
|Defeat Nicol Bolas in the single player campaign (Duel the Dragon)|
Expansion Pack 1 introduces 5 additional campaign duels and Nicol Bolas is the 5th and final opponent you will battle against. Defeat him to unlock this. Take note that he has the Platinum Angel artifact creature card (Controller of this card cannot lose the duel, and the opponent cannot win the duel) in his deck and if you reduce his life to 0 while this card is in play, you lose instead. The "Ears of the Elves" deck is a good deck to use and also has Naturalize (destroy target artifact or enchantment) that can be used to get rid of Platinum Angel.
|Control creatures with a total power of 75 or more (Duel the Dragon)|
This is easily done with the "Ear of the Elves" deck. The key cards you should have in the deck are:
|Earn Puzzling Master and complete all Duel the Dragon expansion challenges|
There are 3 new challenges that come with Expansion 1. Please refer Rappappar's excellent Challenge Guide if you are stuck. You also need to have earned Puzzling Master in the Core Game trophy set.
|DLC: Expansion Two|
|Cost: 4.99 Trophies: 3|
|Last One Standing|
|Win a 3- or 4-player match on PlayStation Network||(3)|
Select "Play Magic: The Gathering on Playstation Network" then Player or Ranked Match and choose to host or join a 3 or 4 player Free for All match. Win the game to unlock this. Trophy Boosting Thread.
|Put 8 lands onto the battlefield in one turn|
This can be easily done in Challenge 5 of Expansion Pack 2, against Sarkhan. Using the method shown in the video below won't achieve the target of clearing the challenge, but this is the easiest ready-made setup that you will find. Credits to GTecamirG.
|Everything at Stake|
|Defeat Sorin Markov in the single-player campaign (Expansion 2)|
Expansion Pack 2 introduces 8 additional campaign duels and Sorin Markov is the 4th and also 8th opponent you will battle against. Defeat him to unlock this. He plays a very aggressive mono-black Vampire deck that uses alot of low cost creatures with abilities that compliment each other and can easily overwhelm you in the first 5 turns if you don't have any creatures/spells to defend with. You also need a really good hand to beat him, so it'll take a couple of restarts. I used the "Heat of Battle" deck for this duel.
|DLC: Expansion Three|
|Cost: 4.99 Trophies: 3|
|Tsunami of Pain|
|Deal 12 combat damage to an opponent in a single attack with one blue creature|
1. Select the deck "Relics of Doom", remove all extra unlocked cards except for any Master of Etherium (Power/Toughness equal to number of artifacts you control) cards you have unlocked. There is only 1 copy of this card in the basic deck but you can unlock up to an additional 3 copies by winning with this deck in any type of duel. I played using the basic deck only as Step 4 below will solve this little issue.
2. Choose Custom Duel, press to access an advanced options screen. Set both player's lives to 40, your starting hand size to 9 and AI hand size to 5. Choose Gideon or Garruk as your opponent. Start the game and mulligan/restart until you have Master of Etherium or Sharding Sphinx in your starting hand. Having both will speed things up alot quicker.
3. Play as many artifacts as you can. Save your Terror (destroy target non-black creature) for getting rid of any opponent creatures that are above 4/4.
4. If playing against Garruk, ensure you have enough mana and the card Cancel (counter target spell) in hand to nullify Howl of the Night Pack (add 2/2 token into play for every Forest) when he plays it because it will stall the game for too long if he manages to play it
5. If you have Sharding Sphinx attack with it to generate a 1/1 artifact tokens, then next turn hold your sphinx back and instead slowly whittle down your opponent's health with the tokens which will create even more tokens, but don't kill off the AI.
6. Play Master of Etherium when you have it, and use it to attack the enemy, getting rid of blockers if there are any present. Any tokens generated by Sharding Sphinx will also contribute towards increasing Master of Etherium's power/toughness. When this card eventually deals direct damage of 12 points to the enemy player, the trophy will unlock.
Alternatively you can use Jace's "Thoughts of Wind" deck and include Sphinx of Magosi in it, which is the last unlockable card (Win 25 times with this deck to unlock). Play against Gideon and restart until you have Sphinx of Magosi in hand then play normally until you get the Sphinx into play. Use the Sphinx's ability (3 mana: Draw a card and put a +1/+1 counter on Sphinx) to beef it up then attack with it.
The other option is to boost this by using the same deck against your partner, and have your partner do nothing while you draw and beef up Master of Etherium and attack with it.
|Salt in the Wound|
|An opponent's last permanent leaves the battlefield|
Follow the steps below:
1. Select the deck "Thoughts of Wind", remove all extra unlocked cards if you have them to increase your chances of drawing Boomerang (Return target permanent to its owner's hand)
2. Choose Custom Duel, press to access an advanced options screen and set your starting hand size to 9, AI hand size to 5. Choose Chandra Ablaze as your opponent (Credits RappappaR)
3. Start the duel, and mulligan or restart until you are chosen to play first, and you have 2 Islands and 1 Boomerang in your starting hand. On your first turn, play an Island and any other card if you wish.
4. On Chandra's first turn, she will play a Mountain and should end her turn. If she plays any card that stays permanently on the battlefield, restart the duel and repeat from step 3 above.
5. On your next turn, play another Island and cast Boomerang targetting Chandra's sole Mountain, thereby removing all her cards in play. Trophy will unlock.
|Defeat Sarkhan the Mad in the single-player campaign (Expansion 3)|
Expansion Pack 3 introduces 8 additional campaign duels and Sarkhan the Mad is the 4th and also 8th opponent you will battle against. Defeat him to unlock this.
No screenshots available
No videos available
|You need to log in or register to use MyTrophies.|
|You need to log in or register to rate games.|
User Score is based on 113 user ratings.