If you are having issues with your PS3 read this!!!!

chucknorris078

Here's my scenario, just received MK vs DC from Gamefly and I pop it in and the system resets itself when I push okay to download the update. Does this 3 times in a row. I try two other games (GTA 4 and Dead Space) same problem and I've never had this problem before. I turned my system off for one hour then tried again, same problem.

So I'm very worried I search the internet and stumble across something:

Hold the reset button down until for about 10-12 seconds and a menu will pop with a bunch of options. (okay I knew about this)

Select the option that say restore files. What this does is checks all the config/system files for defects. You know what mine said........... hard disk files corrupted press x to restore. My stomach sunk when I saw this, I have a 250 gb hard drive. So I did it anyways.

After it finished everything was still there and my xmb ran faster, all three games loaded with no problems. Now I get to play this crappy MK game. lol

So before you send your loved one back to Sony try this quick tip that may save you time, money and a huge headache.

Edited by mjc0961
Emphasis added to everything being there after the process had completed.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter which one. The PS3 has to be off hold the power till you here 3rd set of beeps then let go. If the PS3 turns off you've held the button to long and if it asks for you optimal display setting you haven't held it long enough.

Edited by chucknorris078

I'm almost wondering all the people sending there crap into sony, if this is what sony does to fix it, and you pay the 150.00 for it. I thought my system had an overheating problem or something, but wasn't that hot. Maybe the program that controls the autoreset/power down function had a bug that caused it to prematurely reset the system. Who knows i'm just glad i know about this now.

• 1 month later...

I am so glad i ran across this thread. My ps3 has been stuttering for a couple weeks. It would freeze, it wouldn't play dvds or blu ray movies. I tried reformating the whole hard disk, erasing everything, and that worked....for about 2 weeks. I just did the file system thing, and it is faster than ever and hasn't frozen yet. Thanks man, seriously.

i did this even though my ps3 isn't broke all it does is freeze but it seemed to freeze more and more often so i tried it and WOW you can really tell my in-game XMB loads ALOT quicker and so far *touch wood* it hasn't froze.

thanks man :)

I've just ran the restore files option from the start up config menu. Can report that certain freezing which was occuring for me when I was updating/patching games has currently stopped. XMB access also is faster.

Thanks to the OP well found!

Edited by mjc0961
cleaning up thread; this post has some good stuff in it so complete deletion is unnecessary

• 2 weeks later...

cant get this to work...

i tried now several times and everytime i get either the resolution select screen (after the second beep), or if i hold slightly longer (till the third beep) it turns off again...

just tp confirm how it should work: PS3 is turned off, i press and hold the power button and wait for the third beep, right? anything else to consider?

Here's my scenario, just received MK vs DC from Gamefly and I pop it in and the system resets itself when I push okay to download the update. Does this 3 times in a row. I try two other games (GTA 4 and Dead Space) same problem and I've never had this problem before. I turned my system off for one hour then tried again, same problem.

So I'm very worried I search the internet and stumble across something:

Hold the reset button down until for about 10-12 seconds and a menu will pop with a bunch of options. (okay I knew about this)

Select the option that say restore files. What this does is checks all the config/system files for defects. You know what mine said........... hard disk files corrupted press x to restore. My stomach sunk when I saw this, I have a 250 gb hard drive. So I did it anyways.

After it finished everything was still there and my xmb ran faster, all three games loaded with no problems. Now I get to play this crappy MK game. lol

So before you send your loved one back to Sony try this quick tip that may save you time, money and headache.

When this happened to me I was scared but I was like "screw it" and did it as well. Thank god!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I have no idea. However, I can perform a backup of my stuff and find out. I'll post when I have the results.

EDIT: Wow, my files were corrupted and I had no idea. It seemed to be running fine. But all my saves and what have you are still there. So you don't have to back your files up first. But you probably should back them up regularly anyway in case your PS3 craps out.

Edited by mjc0961

Yeah, I did this when LBP made my ps3 restart every time I would quit a game through the XMB. I believe it was chuck norris and mjc who directed me to this thread and it worked wonders. It only takes a few minutes and you dont lose anything. I was surprised as well that my data was corrupted so Im glad I did this before it caused any real damage (I wonder if this may have caused a YLOD in the future). I would suggest everyone at least checks this option out and see if any of your data is corrupt. If it is just run this quick restore and you may notice a performance increase in your ps3. As the OP said it seems like my XMB loads faster in game as well. When trying to pull up a trophy list or message a friend it loads almost instantly instead of the 5-10 seconds it would take before. Thanks again, great find

Chuck, you're awesome.

I've had problems with bluetooth devices for a few months now. Sometimes while playing the controllers would just stop working unless I plugged them back with a USB cord. Then someday, all bluetooth devices simply stopped working whether it was normal controllers or bluetooth headset. I could still play by keeping controllers plugged through USB, but lack of wireless on the controller and lack of headset was a pain, so I mailed Sony support with my problem. They replied that it was most likely a problem with the bluetooth receptor as I had suggested, and that I could send it back for repairs, but that it would cost 169$ (presumably in Can$ since I'm in Canada) since the 1 year warranty is expired.

I've been debating whether I should bother sending it back and pay the repair fees or if I should just keep playing with cords (especially since I have an original 60gb model and I didn't want to risk getting a different model) when I stumbled on this thread. My problem didn't seem to be like anything you guys had, but I figured that if I didn't even need to backup files, it wouldn't cost anything to try.

So I did, and O SHI-, it fixed the problem! Thanks a lot for the information, and please, SOMEONE freaking sticky this ASAP. This is such a simple fix for so many irritating problems.

Hi, I just want to say a big thank-you for the tip. I'm new to PS3, had it just two weeks [the 60GB version, bought it secondhand as I wanted backward compatibility].

It seemed a little slow, so I tried your trick and it found 'corrupted files'! And your trick sorted it out. So a big thank-you... you might well have saved me from frustration in the near future!!

~ squodge ~