http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/demonslayer1/Savefile.png

Image made by FARAZ_1994

In this guide i will have...

1. Intro

2. Corrupted / Glitched Saves

3. Ways To Help Prevent Save Loss

4. Game Save Glitches

1. Intro

Before I start this guide I just wanted to mention that their is no 100% way to prevent save data loss however, following this Guide will help make you less of a victim of it.

2. Corrupted / Glitched Saves

Corrupted Saves

Definition

A corrupted save is broken save data that can not be accessed or used.

Causes

Error when saving the game.

Dead Sectors on hdd.

Glitches in the game.

Prevention

1. Never Play a game during a thunderstorm or when there is a good chance of their being a power surge.

2. Never turn off your PS3 when the HDD access indicator is flashing (it is safer to turn it off in the XMB).

3. Never take out the harddrive unless it is neccessary (When doing this do not drop it and set it down gently).

Glitched Saves

Definition

A glitched save is when there is a glitch in the game that stops you from continuing through the games story.

Causes

1. Improper coding in the game.

2. Improper coding of the systems firmware.

Prevention

1. Never attempt to do anything in a game that you know causes the save to glitch on either your main save or your back up save.

2. Do not play a game if you know that the firmware you have can cause the save to glitch.

3. Ways To Help Prevent Save Loss

Duplicate Saves

1. Start up the game.

2. Select new game and save to slot 1 (this is going to be your main save and will use auto saves).

3. After the first cutscence immediatly pause the game and save to slot 2 (this is going to be your back up save and will use manual saves).

4. When you are done playing overwrite the back up save with the updated main save everytime.

5. In the event you need your back up save, load the back up save.

6. Manually save over your main save.

7. Load the main save, and You're good to go.

Save Data Back Up (recomend doing this once a week).

1. Go to game > saved data utility in the XMB.

2. Insert flash drive.

3. Press triangle and select copy.

4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 for everything under save data, memory card utility, and minis saved data.

5. In the event you need one of the backed up saves, Insert the flash drive.

6. Go to game > saved data > flash drive in the XMB.

7. Highlight the save you need and press triangle.

8. Select copy, and You're good to go.

Full System Back Up (recommend doing this once every couple weeks) (works for locked saves).

1. Plug in an external HDD into one of the USB slots.

2. Go to settings > back utility in the XMB.

3. Select back up.

4. Select USB device.

5. Wait for the back up to finish.

6. Click "OK".

7. In the event you need the data back, plug in the external HDD.

8. Go to settings > back up utility in the XMB.

9. Select restore.

10. Select USB device.

11. Wait for the restore to finish.

12. Click "OK", and You're good to go.

4. Game Save Glitches (PM me if you know anymore game save glitches) (causes are in the spoiler tags).

Ratchet And Clank Future Tools Of Destruction

Negative bolts glitch

[spoiler=0000001]This is caused by getting 999,999,999 bolts and then doing either a space combat level, a pirate jig, or a clank section, and it will put you at -1 bolts and continue to count down as you collect more bolts. When you reach Rykan V you need to pay 5,000 bolts for the gyro cycle, and since you have no way of getting that many bolts You're stuck there and Can't advance through the story.

Ratchet And Clank Future A Crack In Time

Final boss battle access glitch

[spoiler=0000002]When you are in Great Clock Sector V as Ratchet and fall off the hoverboot ramps he respawns as Clank with Ratchet's abilities. Now this is cool, except when you reach the Orvus Chamber the door does not open and you are stuck their without a way to fight the final boss

Little Big Planet

Prize Bubble Glitch

[spoiler=0000003]This is caused by playing generated level and letting the inventory fill up with community items and collecting a story related prize bubble. It will not add the prize to your inventory and when you reach the sticker switch for it, you will be stuck since the game thinks you already have the prize.

Brutal Legend

Corrupted Save Glitch - Thanks to T_l_M_B_0 for this.

[spoiler=0000004]This glitch is trigger by using the "save and quit" option in the in game menu when you quit the game, as opposed to exitting to the XMB.

Heavy Rain

Corrupted Save Glitch - Thanks to DAS_COOL for this.

[spoiler=0000005]This glitch happens when a random freeze occurs that causes to to have to hard reset your PS3. When this type of freeze occurs wait at least 5 minutes before restarting your PS3.

Edited by morphingryno

Looks pretty good so far for work in progress, might wanna run a spell check once you get finished writing the guide. Good work my man, I might just start backing up my saves to my external hard drive every so often. Last time(only time) I have done it is when I upgraded my 40GB HDD to my 320GB HDD. Wouldn't be too bad of an idea with all the risks of glitches, corruption, and the horrible YLOD.

Edit: I'm trying to backup to data right now as we speak, and I plugged it in a while ago and it's sitting there at 0% completion and says "Remaining Time: Approximately 28 Hours and 0 Minutes"

Something must be terribly wrong, any suggestions my man?

I'll also send you a message. :)

Edit #2: Checking some of the stuff on my external harddrive through my computer to see why it was taking so long this time, after that I'm gunna let it run while I sleep.

Edited by Whiteclone

I'm still experiencing the same problem where it's taking anywhere between 21 and 28 hours in order for it to backup the data. I started when I went to bed last night, where it said about 21 hours, then when I awoke it still has 13 hours and 20 minutes left. That's just ridiculous. I'm going to cancel the backup process for now.

I was using the Western Digital 600 MB HD, I also own a shiny new Seagate 1TB HD which seems to never get recognized as a storage media when I plug it into my PS3. It recognizes fine on computer, but never on the PS3.

But I have no idea why it doesn't take anywhere between 1 and 3 hours and instead is litteraly taking more then a full day's length to backup the data.

Can you back up lock games like GTA 4.

I don't think you can, when I tried to backup it had a special message "This utility backs up all data, but does not included locked saves" or something along those lines. The only known way to exchange locked saves is to deactivate your current system when you exchange 100% of your data and settings using the ethernet cable with your new PS3; at least that is the only way I know of.

I don't think you can, when I tried to backup it had a special message "This utility backs up all data, but does not included locked saves" or something along those lines. The only known way to exchange locked saves is to deactivate your current system when you exchange 100% of your data and settings using the ethernet cable with your new PS3; at least that is the only way I know of.

Damn that seem like 2 much work.

Well after all that time with 13 Hours and 12 Minutes remaining with 43% completion it popped up with the error message "THE USB DEVICE CANNOT BE ACCESSED" and everything is plugged in correctly and I have not touched it the entire time this whole process. This is getting on my last nerve trying to do something unneeded and good for my PS3 and all it does is bite me in the ass.

I took an extremly low quality camera shot off my webcam, I would be surprised if you could even see it but I made a 4 second video for youtube and took a picture just incase.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8194/img000028n.jpg

Edit: Here is the video too from youtube that I recorded very shortly:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xVRD-dS4z0]YouTube- PS3 Backup Utility Error[/ame]

Edited by Whiteclone

I don't know about this Game Save Glitches... but It's an awesome guide for these people that have problems with these games or other glitched game saves

neither did i until i ran into one while playing jak 2 and had to start the whole game over just to finish it

Can you back up lock games like GTA 4.

you can but they will only restore on the system it was originally on and if i remember correctly you have like 10 save slots in that game

Out of curiosity, Whiteclone, what make/model/size hard drive is installed in your PS3? I remember reading somewhere that certain larger-sized HDs can cause problems when restoring and backing up data.

I also had issues when upgrading my fat PS3 from 60GB to 160GB... the backup utility appeared to work OK, but then the restore process would seize up at around 75% completion. I attempted this 3 times, but after getting the same result I gave up and just transferred all of my save files and re-downloaded everything else from the PSN Store. Even with some help from Sony Support peeps, I couldn't confirm what was causing the issues... I still suspect a corrupted save file or something similar.

I'm about to try the backup utility again with my newer HD, so I'll get back to this post when it's all through.

UPDATE: While it appears to have worked, I don't understand why a majority of the game saves didn't transfer to my backup hard drive. I figured that this was part of the backup utility... oh well. I just backed up the game saves manually.

Edited by eLefAdEr

Out of curiosity, Whiteclone, what make/model/size hard drive is installed in your PS3? I remember reading somewhere that certain larger-sized HDs can cause problems when restoring and backing up data.

I also had issues when upgrading my fat PS3 from 60GB to 160GB... the backup utility appeared to work OK, but then the restore process would seize up at around 75% completion. I attempted this 3 times, but after getting the same result I gave up and just transferred all of my save files and re-downloaded everything else from the PSN Store. Even with some help from Sony Support peeps, I couldn't confirm what was causing the issues... I still suspect a corrupted save file or something similar.

I'm about to try the backup utility again with my newer HD, so I'll get back to this post when it's all through.

I have the release version of the 40GB original phat PS3. I upgraded it to a 320GB Western Digital 2.5inch SATA FAT32 7200RPM 8MBPS with a 16MB cache. I had absolutely no problems backing up my saved data the first time at the start of March when I upgraded my harddrive and backed everything up. Took about 2-3 hours, no problems at all. But as you have read all throughout this thread, I have been encountering massive problems of the sort trying to use the same exact external harddrive. I am using a 500+ GB Western Digital External Drive with plenty of room left on it. The first time I used the utility, I only had about 28.6GB of stuff on there. I'd imagine it would still be well under 50GB of memory right now currently on my PS3, no idea why it would take 28 hours to try to backup that little of a memory storage. :(

Edit: Third time was litteraly the charm, after plugging it in and attempting to backup for the third time I gave me an immediate estimate time of under 2 hours and starting making progress instantly. After just over an hour and 45 minutes, it was done; and everything worked out okay. I guess it just didn't want me to let it run overnight while I was asleep, or maybe it sensed that it was mother's day and put a 24 hour timer so I couldn't play it. Oh well, at least it is backed up now.

It was 50GB this time instead of just 28.6GB, but it still took a pretty reasonable amount of time. 2 hours is pretty quick in my opinion.

Edited by Whiteclone

I'm still experiencing the same problem where it's taking anywhere between 21 and 28 hours in order for it to backup the data. I started when I went to bed last night, where it said about 21 hours, then when I awoke it still has 13 hours and 20 minutes left. That's just ridiculous. I'm going to cancel the backup process for now.

I was using the Western Digital 600 MB HD, I also own a shiny new Seagate 1TB HD which seems to never get recognized as a storage media when I plug it into my PS3. It recognizes fine on computer, but never on the PS3.

But I have no idea why it doesn't take anywhere between 1 and 3 hours and instead is litteraly taking more then a full day's length to backup the data.

Hey man. Is you 1TB HDD a "fat32?" You can format it to that type on your computer, but it takes a few minutes to get done.... The PS3 recognizes most hard drives, but if it's not formatted in fat32, then it won't be recognized...

Prevention

1. Never Play a game during a thunderstorm or when there is a good chance of their being a power surge.

Don't agree with this one at all. I play during thunderstorms all the time, the only difference is I have my PS3 routed through one of these:

http://www.popmonkeys.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/belkin-12-outlet-surge-protector-300x300.jpg

A surge protector.

You should change/modify that phrase.

@SinRG

you are kinda right and wrong lol, depends on what you want to 'save'. First, with the surge protector, it only saves your PS3 or other electronics devices connected to it. BUT it wouldn't save your save data if you are playing, because most likely when the surge protector dies, the power dies too.

And if your PS3 losses power when you are accessing your HDD/usb, your hdd/USB will also most likely be corrupted, as hdd/usb should NEVER be out of power when they are still being accessed.

So yea, depends on what you want to save. For best measure, it is just better to avoid playing during thunderstorm. Beside thunderstorm usually only lasts for few hours.

Don't agree with this one at all. I play during thunderstorms all the time, the only difference is I have my PS3 routed through one of these:

A surge protector.

You should change/modify that phrase.

Better yet, have your PS3 plugged into one of these:

http://www.ukclearancecentre.co.uk/272-424-large/apc-smart-ups-750-ups-battery-power.jpg

It's a universal power supply, or "UPS." It will provide uninterrupted power to anything plugged into it for a short period (this one lasts about 5 minutes), giving the user time to shut all connected devices down properly until the power returns to the local electrical system, as well as surge protection.

A surge protector on its own is important to have--it will prevent any electrical spikes to your PS3, which could render it useless--but if the power happens to go out during a save process, you're more than likely going to loose that data.

As a general rule, it's good advice to not use anything "important" using an electrical power source that could result in lost data, i.e. your computer, during a major storm, but of course everything could be fine... as long as you don't lose power.

Power outages can happen at any time, independent of weather. They're just slightly more likely to happen during high winds or lightning strikes, causing trees to take down overhead power lines. Still, it's a case-by-case basis. Some homes have underground cables connected to the electrical grid, and they're generally fine even during the worst storms, unless the local substation goes offline.

I'm not looking to take sides here or start an argument--just wanted to say that all sorts of scenarios are possible and will be different for everyone.

@elefader: It kinda depends where you live but... Like if you live in a country with constant power drop-out, then yea UPS is needed. But if you live in a country with stable flow of constant power, then UPS is only really needed if you have the money.

Personally, UPS is more for very important data like office/work, because I don't have like $150 that I can waste around. But if you have the money and do treasure your PS3 like above your life, then by any mean get it lol.

• 4 weeks later...

@morphingryno:

i just realized there was a section for save data glitch haha. Anyway, 1 question and 1 suggestion to add into your list...

1. With Brutal Legend save data glitch, could you explain more? I mean, based on your info, are you saying I shouldn't use 'save and quit' from the pause menu?

2. Heavy Rain has been known for having a save data glitch. Problem is, the cause is random. I myself haven't played it because it is locked, and don't want to risk it. But a lot of board has stated about the problem.

1. With Brutal Legend save data glitch, could you explain more? I mean, based on your info, are you saying I shouldn't use 'save and quit' from the pause menu?

yes that is what i am saying but i will go into more detail

2. Heavy Rain has been known for having a save data glitch. Problem is, the cause is random. I myself haven't played it because it is locked, and don't want to risk it. But a lot of board has stated about the problem.

i will add it once i get more information