'High Score' Glitch Guide

SandeProElite

This guide will show you how to perform a glitch with the Stage 1 boss to get infinite points in the game. With this glitch, you can get the High Score trophy a lot faster than having to go through the whole game on Hardcore.

Estimated difficulty to perform: 4/10

Estimated time to get 800,000 points: 30 minutes

Character required to use: Max

First of all, before starting a New Game, go to Options and enable Rapid Fire. You'll need this to get maximum points while performing the glitch. Next you wan't to make sure you have atleast two free save slots (three recommended).

Start a New Game with Hardcore setting with Max. Make sure you don't increase your lives or anything so it counts as Hardcore. You need Max to get the trophy because the glitch will only work with his throw.

Now you need to play the game normally until you reach the Stage 1 boss. I'd recommend getting the extra live at the beginning and using state save abuse to make sure you make it to the boss with maximum lives. You can lose one or maybe two, but it's recommended not to lose any incase you're having trouble getting the glitch to work. Go through the first two minibosses by using save abuse all the time so they won't get much damage on you. You'll need your health for the last boss.

When you enter the area with the last boss, Barbon, save to State C. If at any time you or the enemies destroy the trash cans, you need to reload. Don't break the can to get health or you won't be able to do the glitch. Walk just a little bit so the first enemies unfreeze and take them out. Don't unfreeze the boss yet. Save to State A, every time you get one kill. The small enemies will keep appearing for a while. Keep taking them out.

When there are about 2 small enemies left to come, the boss will automatically unfreeze. Now save to State A. Take out the last two enemies, while making sure the boss won't get any damage or throws to you. If he goes for a throw, make sure to block his path by walking infront of him and hitting him once with :square:. This will cancel his attempt. Keep saving to State A and once the small enemies no longer appear, go and unfreeze the two bigger ones. Here you should again use State A save abuse to take them out. Reload every time you take heavy damage. Once you're only left with the boss, save to State A. This is the part where you will do the glitch.

If you are on the left side of the boss, you can skip the next part. If you are on the right side of him, try to get to the left side. Easiest way is to let him throw you. Get to the very right side of the area and keep hitting :square: until he goes for a throw. Save once you get to his left side. If you didn't have enough health to survive the throw, don't worry. Get the boss to the right side of the map and let him kill you. You'll respawn at the left side of him.

Now that you are on the left side of him, walk up to the trash cans. Hold :up: to make sure you're right below them. Now hold :left: to get to the left corner of the area. Now save to State A. This is the hardest part. When the boss comes to you, you have to wait until he does his punch, punch, kick combo. Now reload and you'll know exactly when he does it. Right before he does his first punch, jump over him. The second punch should damage you. If it punched you backwards, you jumped too late and have to reload. When you land, hold :left: so you'll grab him. Immediately pause the game so he doesn't have time to counter. Do NOT save. You need to test if you got the glitch working first. Before you unpause, hold :right: and don't let go. During the glitch, you want to hold :right: all the time. Unpause and as soon as you do it start tapping :cross: until you jump. When you're in the air, hold :square: to get points. After you land, let go of :square: and start tapping :cross: again.

Three things could happen here:

1. You'll take the enemy with you and slam him to the ground sometimes breaking the trash cans.

Reason: You didn't do the glitch correctly. Reload and make sure you're right next to the trash cans.

2. The boss will throw you.

Reason: You either didn't hold :right: or didn't tap :cross: fast enough. Reload and try again.

3. You'll jump right while the boss leaves frozen to place and will automaticly grab him again when you land.

Congratulations, you got the glitch working.

After you get the glitch to work, you have to save. This is the part where you can mess it up, if you don't save correctly. Always save when you're grabbing the boss. That is the only way to make sure you can continue the glitch after you reload your save. When you decide to save, do like always. Tap :cross: and hold :square:. But when you land, don't tap :cross:. Wait until you grab him again and immediately pause. If you wait for too long, the boss will counter your throw and you have to reload. Once you're sure you got him grabbed, save to State B. (I saved to State A first and then kept on saving to State B to make sure that if I completely mess it up, I can reload)

Now just keep doing it. Everytime you unpause, make sure you're holding :right: and tap :cross:. Each time you hold :square: in air you should get 600-800 points. If you get less, you're not holding it long enough. I saved every 25,000 points I got. You should find your own style of saving. If you save too often, you might save a bad save and have to reload from the beginning of the glitch. If you take too long to save, you might mess up and have to reload from much lower score. You should keep doing this until you get time out.

When you get timeout, immediately save to State C. When you respawn, jump to North-West to make sure you get to the left side of the boss. Then just repeat the above steps to get the glitch working again. The reason why you won't lose all your lives before doing the glitch long enough is simple. The game gives you extra life every 100,000 points. Make sure you get the glitch working at about 80-90 seconds left in the timer and get those 600-800 points every time you jump and you won't have any problems with losing lives.

Now you just have to keep repeating the glitch until you get 800,000 points. It should take about 30 minutes to get it.

Below is a tip by hshirako. He found out that using a turbo controller and a rubber band, you can idle the 90 seconds of the glitch without having to worry about pressing the buttons and failing.

Hi, I followed your guide on obtaining 800,000 points in Streets of Rage 2 and it worked perfectly.

I wanted to add that you can get to 800,000 points in about 10 minutes instead of 30 minutes if you use a rapid fire controller plus there is no risk of messing up. What I did was wrap a rubber band around the left stick so that it was tilting right and then I just input :cross: & :square: for rapid fire mode when I unpaused. I was able to average 185,000 to 190,000 every 90 seconds. Plus the buttons were being automatically input so I could be doing something else like watch youtube:) Absolutely stress free.

A couple of notes. I used a HORI rapid fire controller which enables me 3 options of 12 inputs per second, 20 IPS, and 32 IPS. I found out that 12 is too slow or not enough inputs to "trick" the game. It would work for 4-5 seconds but then Max would always slam the enemy and destroy the cans. 20 and 32 worked perfectly. Also, the faster the inputs, the faster the glitch works. Over a 87 second period, the 20 IPS gave me a score of 116,400 while the 32 IPS gave me a score of 185,200. Thats a difference of 68,800.

Below is a video showing how to do the glitch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FYYY6l0KP4]YouTube - ‪streets of rage 2 high score trophy guide 800,000 points 1st level ps3‬‏[/ame]

This glitch was found by BlakeyBlake999 who also made the video tutorial about it.

Edited by SandeProElite

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Works perfectly; I'm surprised you could actually extract enough information from the video to figure it out haha.

You might want to mention that if you hold down :square: for too long after you land, you will throw the boss into the bins, it was confusing me at first and I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong exactly.

If you start the glitch before the timer reaches 90 you can easily get 100,000 points each time, so it is rather quick once you get your routine down.

Works perfectly; I'm surprised you could actually extract enough information from the video to figure it out haha.

You might want to mention that if you hold down :square: for too long after you land, you will throw the boss into the bins, it was confusing me at first and I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong exactly.

If you start the glitch before the timer reaches 90 you can easily get 100,000 points each time, so it is rather quick once you get your routine down.

That's actually not true. If you hold down square for too long, it'll just cancel the throw and the boss will grab you. The reason why you threw boss to bins is probably that you weren't close enough to the bins. It's pretty random anyway. Sometimes when I'm almost sure I got the glitch right, it just throws the boss. Best is to just keep trying until you get the glitch working and then save.

it honestly might of helped better to show from the start of the fight (like in the description) instead of just showing us the air humping part.

The video is not mine and I don't have a capture card to capture the boss fight so I'd actually appreciate if someone would do that vid for me. I'd give him credit for the guide if it ever gets stickied or something.

That's actually not true. If you hold down square for too long, it'll just cancel the throw and the boss will grab you. The reason why you threw boss to bins is probably that you weren't close enough to the bins. It's pretty random anyway. Sometimes when I'm almost sure I got the glitch right, it just throws the boss. Best is to just keep trying until you get the glitch working and then save.

Yeah I'm just saying sometimes for me when the glitch was working it did it too, if I held down square for too long.

It never really happend to me at the start of the glitch becasue I could get into the glitch position easily and stat grinding away the points, it was just randomly half way through the round he would throw him into the bins..

But then I would just reload State B where I have him in the grab and continue just fine.

Meh, it was proably just me, It's a glitch of course it isn't going to work perfect all the time aha.

Anyway thanks for spending your time on this; the guide is written very well and saves a bunch of time.

This is a neat trick, but I swear, I had a hell of a time w/ the timing of the :cross: taps and :square: holds. It took me a solid 30-45 minutes of practice, but once I got it down, it worked like a charm and I had 800k within another 30-45 minutes or so. Still, I can't help but think that a legit run through Hardcore Mode would've been a lot less annoying.

Wow! Nice trick.. I will try this on later, I'll get the online trophies first. Thanks, this will save me a lot of time and effort.

EDIT:

I forgot to ask, will this work with multiplayer or just single player? TIA!

Edited by bharken

no truly, ty for the guide, but this stuff is a real mess, cant get how to, really borin and annoyn

edit: yay, the glitch finally worked! Took me longer then what wrote in the guide and wasnt that easy to apply it, but it worked. I did it till 780k then went ahead to defeat the 2nd boss on hardcore to get 100%

Edited by MerioMerio

I got the glitch but I have bad timing on hitting the buttons. >_<

EDIT:

I finally got this last trophy for me and took a video.. Thanks for putting up this guide!

Tips:

- Just practice until you got the rhythm, don't quit. Lol.

- Make sure you have "at least 2 lives left" before you do the glitch because when time runs out and you only have 1, your score will reset to zero! It happened to me. >_<

- Use your:

Left ring finger for right directional button ( -> )

Left index finger for []

Right index finger for X..

When I was at the correct position, my pattern was: 3-4 quick X, stop X then hold [] for about 1-1.5 secs, release [] then repeat..

- Saving the game:

When you want to save, after releasing [] quickly tap X 1-3 times then press start. Overwrite your oldest save data among the 3.

Good luck and see you on the finish line. Cheers! =)

Edited by bharken

Yeah I'm just saying sometimes for me when the glitch was working it did it too, if I held down square for too long.

It never really happend to me at the start of the glitch becasue I could get into the glitch position easily and stat grinding away the points, it was just randomly half way through the round he would throw him into the bins..

But then I would just reload State B where I have him in the grab and continue just fine.

Meh, it was proably just me, It's a glitch of course it isn't going to work perfect all the time aha.

Anyway thanks for spending your time on this; the guide is written very well and saves a bunch of time.

Oh that. Sorry my bad. That happens if you don't tap X to jump. The boss will counter your grab and throw you. Might happen if you tap X too early and start to hold square before you jump. Also, you could have pressed X too late. The boss is a pretty fast grabber so that's why I suggested tapping X instead of just pressing it once.

The hard thing was to grab the stupid boss the needed way. I have 238k points and I have a save where I have just grabbed him. In a few hours (work and exams call) I will get it.

Agree. The grabbing is definetly the hardest part. I spend a lot of time and swearing with it. It sometimes just doesn't seem to work even if you do it properly. After all, it's a glitch.