Sorcerer's Lair DLC trophy guide

steviej

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/zen_sorcerers.png

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 7/10 (personal estimate)

-Offline: 3(B) & 1(S)

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to 100%: Depends greatly on skill, and luck.

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

-Number of missable trophies: Tampering with factory settings or saving and reloading a game disables trophies

-Glitched trophies: None

-Do cheat codes disable trophies: Tampering with factory settings or saving and reloading a game disables trophies

This guide will try to explain how we can bring the epic tale of little Jake and his sister, and a friendly ghost named Whisper to a happy ending. And more importantly how YOU can earn some trophies along the way! For an in-depth description of basic tactics and terminology, please refer to the guide by skippycue, found here.

Table specifics

Ramps, orbits and sinkholes:

This table has 5 ramps and 3 orbit.

The left and right orbits, in game refered to as the "Forest Loops" take the ball all the way around the table. The right orbit sends the ball towards the bumpers. The Mini Orbit is the one with the spinner in front of it in the very center of the table. Hitting it opens up the Gargoyle's sinkhole in which you can lock balls with the top right flipper.

The Right Tower Ramp or Citadel Ramp is located right next to the right orbit. Every first hit will guide the ball towards the right flipper and spell one of the CITADEL letters. Every second hit will send the ball towards the upper playfield from which you can access a hidden ramp with the top left flipper.

The Left Tower Ramp is the small ramp to the left of the Mini Orbit. Every first hit will send the ball towards the left flipper, every second hit towards the right flipper and every third hit towards the Sorcerer, who will lock the ball.

The Ghost Ramp can only be hit using the top right flipper. The Stairs Ramp, together with the Magical Cellar sinkhole, becomes accessible after hitting the 3 Guardian Stones in the center of the table. Whisper's hideout is the sinkhole beneath the bumpers. After hitting it 4 times, Whisper will give you a random gift.

Outlane Diverters and Ballsave:

Lighting up all 5 "Ghost Runes" in front of the in- and outlanes will activate the left outlane diverter, or secret passageway. Light all 5 again to activate the right diverter. The lit runes can be swapped around using the flippers. The diverters remain activated throughout the entire game, so it's a good idea to activate them as soon as possible.

The ballsave is activated by shooting the upper playfield ramp 5 times. Because the ramp is only accessible after every second hit up the Citadel Ramp, and because progress is lost upon losing your ball, I wouldn't recommend making the effort.

Alternatively, both diverters, as well as the ballsave can be obtained as a random gift from Whisper by finding her in her hideout.

Mulitpliers and Extra ball:

The Multipliers can be increased by hitting 3 targets. 2 of them are right above the left and right outlanes, and the third one is just below the Ghost ramp.

Extra balls are pretty easy to come by on this table, and there are several ways to earn them:

- Score a 6-way combo

- Random gift from Whisper

- Reach x10 multiplier

- Perform 10 Elusion Mastery Combo's (Left orbit -> Ghost ramp)

After any of the above requirements has been met, the extra ball light in front of the upper playfield ramp will light up. Hit said ramp to claim the extra ball.

Trophies

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/41.jpg Quick handed (B)

Score a 6-way combo!

This trophy will probably pop up somewhere throughout your games without really trying for it. Maintain your combo for 6 successful shots up any of the 8 ramps and orbits. As long as the combo is going, all ramps/orbits remain lit.

If you're going for this trophy specifically, pick some ramps/orbits you feel comfortable hitting. Remember that the Upper Playfield Ramp counts as well, so 2 shots up the Citadel Ramp, should equal 3 shots for your combo. Raising the blue spinning platform opens up the Stairs Ramp, thus increasing your options.

Check Midnight Madness for a video of how it's done.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/42.jpg Slingshot Master (B)

Defeat all 10 spiders in the Arachnid Attack cellar mode within 20 seconds from start.

The Arachnid Attack is one of the 6 story missions listed on Sorcerer's Lair. It's played on a playfield outside of the main table. Starting the mission, and even beating it, is pretty easy. Killing all 10 spiders within 20 seconds however, is not.

Starting Arachnid Attack

In order to start any of the story missions you'll have to free up the "Magical Cellar" sinkhole by hitting the 3 "Guardian Stones" in the center of the table. After all 3 targets are lit, the blue spinning disk in front of them will rise, opening up the sinkhole. Hitting the sinkhole will start the mission that is currently lit on the table. Hitting the bumpers will switch between the uncompleted missions listed on the table. For this trophy, you'll want to look for the Arachnid Attack mission (4th from the top). Once it's lit, hit the ball up the cellar and find yourself on a completely seperate mini pinball table.

Killing the spiders

Spiders will quickly appear in front of all of the 5 ramps/orbits. In order to beat the mission, you'll have to hit all 5 spiders twice and leave the cellar using the exit that's lit thereafter. For the trophy however, you'll have to hit all 10 spiders within a 20 second time frame, which leaves virtually no room for error.

Keep in mind that the spiders can only be hit if the ramp/orbit it's hanging above is actually lit.

Also remember that every spider will respawn once, and it takes quite a bit of time for it to do so. It's best you go through your first set of 5 spiders entirely before you start killing your second set. You don't want to go through 9 of the spiders really fast, only to find yourself waiting for the last one to respawn. Also keep in mind that the orbits will send the ball through 2 of the spiders, so it's best to have them both lit before aiming at them.

Another thing to remember is the pin between the flippers. As counter-intuitive as it may feel, using it to let the ball settle is often a better decision than to try and save the ball with the flippers.

Lastly, a riccochet off the wall after a very late flipper shot sometimes sends the ball on a path skimming multiple spiders at once. It's a lucky shot, but it's a very welcome one if it does happen.

If all goes well, the trophy will pop up upon hitting the 10th spider. So you don't actually have to exit the cellar and complete the mission. If you've failed the mission, or didn't complete it in time, restart the game entirely, or you won't be able to play the Arachnid Attack mission again untill you've played though all the other missions.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/43.jpg Stockpiler (B)

Enrage the ent by completing Forest Loops and beat it during the hurry up mode!

This trophy is probably the easiest one of the table. Start up the Freaky Forest hurry-up mode by performing 6 "forest loops". Both the left and right orbits count and progress is saved upon losing your ball.

During this mode, the giant ent will bend over to block the entrance of the Citadel Ramp and a countdown from around 2.000.000 points will appear on the DMD. Hitting the ent 3 times wins the mode and earns you the trophy, as well as an Obsidian Stone. The timer resets after every hit. You can hit the ent with either of the flippers.

Edited by steviej
Editorial Sweep

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/44.jpg Midnight Madness (S)

Complete the final mission: Midnight Madness!

Contrary to what we're used to from Zen Studios, the wizard mode on Sorcerer's Lair is not overly difficult to reach. The biggest reason being that the 6 main missions don't actually have to be beaten in order to start Midnight Madness. Just playing them is enough. 3 of the missions are played on a different playfield, meaning there is no risk of losing your ball. The other 3 are timed, so if you don't feel like risking your ball, you can simply wait for the timer to run out. However, apart from the obvious points you get for completing the missions, you'll also receive Obsidian Stones. Collecting these will greatly increase the scores you achieve during Midnight Madness.

The missions:

In order to start any of story missions you'll have to free up the "Magical Cellar" sinkhole by hitting the 3 "Guardian Stones" in the center of the table. After all 3 targets are lit, the blue spinning platform in front of them will rise, opening up the sinkhole. Hitting the sinkhole will start the mission that is currently lit on the table. Hitting the bumpers will switch between the uncompleted missions listed on the table.

• Behind the Walls
    This is a fun little puzzle game where you'll have to guide the ball to the exit by manipulating the rotation of the gears and by tilting the platforms using the flipper buttons.

The first part consists of several gears. It's a very simple puzzle, but it can feel a bit awkward at first because you're using 2 flipper buttons. After the ball drops from the first gear, use the right flipper button to change the rotation of the mechanism. From that point on it's just alternating left and right till you reach the bottom. Try to change the rotation as the ball is dropping down and before it touches the next gear. If the ball gets stuck between gears, the mission is lost.

The second part requires you to tilt the platforms in such a way they safely guide your ball towards the exit. The trick here is to not let the ball fall off the platforms too fast. Try and balance it on the first platform to get the feel for it. The left flipper button tilts the platforms to the left, the right flipper button tilts them towards the right. The mission is won upon reaching the exit.

• Bones
    This one is played on the main table. You have 40 seconds to escape from the attacking skeletons. Hit the spinners or the bumpers to gain the speed you need for a successful escape. A 2-way, or sometimes 3-way combo between any of the 3 orbits should do the trick.

• Gates of the Void
    Played on the main table. Upon starting this mission, teleporters will appear in front of the Left and Right Tower Ramps, the Ghost Ramp and the Mini Orbit. Hitting them with the normal ball will do nothing but send it towards any of the sinkholes. You'll need Whisper's help to destroy the gates and win the mission. So start by shooting the ball into Whisper's Hideout and get a very shiny ball in return. Simply use this ball to shoot through and destroy the teleporters. Complete all the shots before the 40 second timer runs out to win the mission.

• Arachnid Attack
    Remember this one? Right... No timer this time, though. Hitting all 10 spiders opens up the exit. Shoot the ball up there to win the mission.

• Crazy Ghosts
    Played on the main table. 6 ghosts will appear in front of the 3 ramps and orbits on the table. You'll have 40 seconds to win this mode and every time you hit one of the ghosts, time is added to the counter. Problem is, the ghosts come back after while... So you'll have to be pretty quick to kill all 6 fast enough.

• Creepy Cellar
    This is played on the same mini table as Arachnid Attack. This time you'll have to destroy the obstacles in a particular order. Hit the lit ramps untill the exit opens up. Shoot the ball up there to win the mission.

MIDNIGHT MADNESS

After playing your sixth mission, the Magical Cellar sinkhole will open up automatically. Shoot your ball in there to begin the final chapter of this epic.

You'll see Whisper going back to her master on the ghost ramp, then the upper playfield and the upper playfield ramp. Can you save her? You have 25 seconds to hit the ball through Whisper, but again, this shot is not required to complete Midnight Madness and to earn the trophy. So don't worry if you miss. If you do make the shot, you'll be awarded with another Obsidian Stone.

After saving Whisper, or not, Midnight Madness begins. This "everything is lit" 4-ball multiball mode lasts for about 40 seconds and has an unlimited ballsave attached to it. So just have fun with it, killing creatures and hitting targets, and enjoy seeing your scores skyrocket, because the trophy is already yours.

When the timer runs out, the flippers will jam and the balls will drain, and this well deserved "complete the table" silver trophy will be yours to brag with. The score you've just earned during Midnight Madness will now be multiplied depending on the amount of Obsidian Stones you've earned throughout your game. 0 Obsidian Stones equals a x1 multiplier, and every stone you managed to collect adds 0.5 to the multiplier. So one Obsidian Stone means your Midnight Madness score will be multiplied by x1.5, two stones by x2, 3 stones by x2.5, and so on... (Thanks Hypno74 for figuring this one out!)

Here's a video, courtesy of Hypno74 of how to obtain the trophies, complete the missions, and more!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPQ0Ef_ef0]Sorcerer's Lair by Hypno74[/ame]

0:18 - Super Skillshot

0:30 - Quick Handed

0:57 - Stockpiler

1:49 - Opening up the Magical Cellar

2:13 - Arachnid Attack with Slingshot Master

2:44 - Gates of the Void

3:27 - Behind the Walls

4:12 - Crazy Ghosts

4:39 - Creepy Cellar

5:22 - Bones

6:15 - Midnight Madness

7:57 - Extra balls and Multipliers

Edited by steviej
Editorial Sweep

Thanks Hypno74 for the awesome video. If any of you would like to see a true pinball wizard in action, go check out his Youtube channel HERE!

If you see any mistakes or wrong information, or if you've got some further tips or input, feel free to let me know. Credit will be given where due :)

Edited by steviej

Hey Stevej a question about Behind the walls: What exactly do you mean with "tilt the platforms"? I never managed to get to phase 2, so once I will I wouldn't like to mess it up! Thanks.

Oh, great guide BTW!! ;)

Hey Michel. The second part of the mini game is actually a lot easier. As the ball drops down on the first platform, press the left flipper button straight away. The platform will go from a "\" position, to a "/" position and the ball will roll towards the left end of the platform. The trick is to not let the ball go over the edge at full speed... As it reaches the end, press the right flipper button to tilt the platform back to its original position. The ball should lose a lot of its momentum and just fall right of the edge and onto the next platform. Since it's not timed in any way, it may be best you play around with it a bit, trying to balance the ball on the first platform.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Edited by steviej

So I got the Quick Handed trophy fairly easily, wasn't really trying for it.

Almost got that Slingshot Master one... A few shots into the cellar, all five spiders dropped and all lanes were lit, and a wild shot of mine went in a circle and hit all 5 in a row! Only had one spider left then with at least 10 seconds left but of course I got nervous and screwed it up and failed. :mad:

Got four of the missions started in one game though, so definitely think I can get to Midnight Madness eventually.

Extra balls are definitely easy to get, I got two in one game without trying.

Ok i understood the finale mission.

For exemple you win 50 million in this mode:

If you have 1 obsidian your score is multiplied by 1,5 = 75 million

2 obsidians : score X2 = 100 million

3 obsidians: X2,5 = 125 million

"

"

10 = X6 = 300 million

20 = X11 = 550 million

Know that you can only have 2 obsidians maximum for each mission.

WHISPER save before the final mission, you win 1 obsidian.

If you do not understand, ask me.

Ok i understood the finale mission.

For exemple you win 50 million in this mode:

If you have 1 obsidian your score is multiplied by 1,5 = 75 million

2 obsidians : score X2 = 100 million

3 obsidians: X2,5 = 125 million

"

"

10 = X6 = 300 million

20 = X11 = 550 million

Know that you can only have 2 obsidians maximum for each mission.

WHISPER save before the final mission, you win 1 obsidian.

If you do not understand, ask me.

Great! Thank you very much for figuring this one out Hypno. I'll add it to the guide straight away. :)

Have you noticed wether or not you can lose your ball during the "save Whipser" shot? Haven't been playing the table too much lately :o

Great work hypno, handy information. I'm not sure you can lose your ball during the 'Save Whisper' shot as I think the ball-save is activated until you hit her or the timer runs out and Midnight Madness begins. I think anyway... :rolleyes:

PS: I got my final trophy for this table today, the Slingshot Master. A couple of lucky shots took out several spiders then I just picked them off. I also managed to complete the Behind the Walls mini-game for the first time, the first part with the cogs is tricky but the second part is simple.

Great work hypno, handy information. I'm not sure you can lose your ball during the 'Save Whisper' shot as I think the ball-save is activated until you hit her or the timer runs out and Midnight Madness begins. I think anyway... :rolleyes:

PS: I got my final trophy for this table today, the Slingshot Master. A couple of lucky shots took out several spiders then I just picked them off. I also managed to complete the Behind the Walls mini-game for the first time, the first part with the cogs is tricky but the second part is simple.

I thought so too about the ballsave during Whisper's shot, but I'll leave it open for the time being.

And nice job on the trophies man. That one really may just come down to a bit of luck :rolleyes:. Which table are you gonna go for next?

Here's a Sorcerer'Lair vid.

The sound is not great :o

Comments are welcome :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPQ0Ef_ef0]YouTube - ‪Zen Pinball Sorcerer's Lair : Trophies, Missions, Extra ball...‬‏[/ame]

Edited by Hypno74

• 5 months later...

So I fired up this table yesterday since I was playing it on my Android tablet, and went for the Midnight Madness trophy. I should have fully read the guide because when it got to the part when the flippers lock, I didn't know it was supposed to do this. I thought the game had glitched so I freaked and started nudging and all - the table tilted, so then when I got the ball back I lost it. It was my last ball and I didn't get the trophy. :mad:

I had to do it all over again and finally got it yay. :) Little by little chipping away at some of these ZEN trophies.