Trophy: Is This Just Fantasy? - Detailed Breakdown

atirador

Ok guys, so I did a good explanation on how to got this trophy by yourself using 3 microphones and 2 youtube videos without having to sing anything on my Trophy Guide.

Since a number of people are still struggling to get this method to work, I tought about putting a detailed breakdown of the setup I was using when I got it.

I have 2 Singstar mics, 1 Rock Band mic and 1 RB mic that died but the USB converter (that little box near the USB plug) still works, so I cutted the wire near the microphone and I connected a cheap PC microphone there. I'm telling you that because this "new" mic ended up being far more sensitive than the original mic was, so it's a really good option for the "fan trick" on GH5 or Band Hero and to capture audio from speakers (like for this trophy and the Harmonies trophies on The Beatles: Rock Band).

I don't exactly remember if it was the high pitches that were giving me trouble. But it was like the mic didn't picked up any sound at all on some parts of the song.

At first I was having trouble syncronizing the two videos on my computer and notebook. After I got that part right, my main problem was getting the mic to pick up sound from my wife's notebook, since the speakers on it are very weak and I didn't have external speakers to use.

For this trophy I used the 2 Singstar mics on the Left and Right speakers (the stereo video) and this "recovered" mic on the notebook for the mono video (Freddie's part).

I used the 2 speakers with the front down over the microphones and I placed a cushion over each speaker, to prevent crosstalk (they were about 1 meter or 3 feet away from each other). I was using the youtube video itself and the volume on the PC and speakers was fairly low.

The notebook was on the couch, by my side, and I placed the cheap mic very close to the speakers and I used a cushion over there too. The notebook was, obviously, on the highest volume possible and I used VDownloader to download the youtube video and convert it to MP3. I used Winamp to play the MP3 and since the maximum volume wasn't doing the trick I used that "Preamp" option on the equalizer to get an even higher volume.

After the first few phrases worked, I was luck to get the trophy on my first full song attempt.

Like I said, after I got the trophy I immediately tried again and I didn't got a Triple Awesome near the end of the song (don't know why, since I didn't touch anything).

So maybe I just got lucky, since only a few people got this trophy using the videos.

Hope it helps you guys!

Good luck and don't give up!

Edited by atirador

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the VDownloader tip! I tried this with my stereo and singing the blue but there is a very short part I never seem to nail right before the "Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me for me" part and I cannot learn it as I cannot pick apart what is sung by Freddie and what is harmonized.

Then I gave up and tried with my laptop playing the blue parts but it couldn't make loud enough sound for the low parts and always failed around the "landslide" in the very beginning.

Next time I can play from mp3 and I guess I'll hook up my iPal to get louder voice for the blue parts.

Got it, yay! First attempt on tuesday took two hours of messing around but with downloaded version of Freddie's track and Winamp preamp I succeeded too. I let the track sing first two verses, then took over for the "caught in the landslide" which it failed always and sung all the way to where solo section starts. Then I put the mic back against my laptop speakers and finally grabbed it again to sing those final vocal harmonies before "nothing really matters, anyone can see" in the end because that was another part the track failed.

well, "good" job tho

but i fucking hate these crap cheatstuff -.-

did it legit - Is This Just Fantasy? - YourGamerCards.net <- first to ever get it on here; first ever is "g1xone" thirst is "Serious1337" <- did it w/ them though; 3 times so all of us got it after 2 days of hard work - took us about 14h total .... now e1 can get it in no time -.-"

Actually the only difficult thing is getting together three people who know the song and can sing. I can and I do have one pal who can too but three? Never.

So basically this trophy is not about you and you should not feel too much better than the rest of us for having other people helping you :)

Edited by pmm_fin

Actually the only difficult thing is getting together three people who know the song and can sing. I can and I do have one pal who can too but three? Never.

So basically this trophy is not about you and you should not feel too much better than the rest of us for having other people helping you :)

well, i dont feel any "better"

its just not meant to be like: have 3 mics and put them in front of speakers

its meant to be a 3 player offline trophy

same as the beatles and green day vocal harmonies

well, i dont feel any "better"

its just not meant to be like: have 3 mics and put them in front of speakers

its meant to be a 3 player offline trophy

same as the beatles and green day vocal harmonies

Thing is, the Beatles' triple & double harmonies trophies are ridiculous. Sure, you can get them on easy... but I don't have many friends who can sing harmonies. If the harmonies were given in standard music notation, then sure - we wouldn't have any problem at all. But as it's just blue, orange, and brown 'vocal tunnels', it's not exactly all that helpful.

Green Day - at least the vocals harmonies only require you to do it on one song, not all of them.

RB3 - A little harder than Green Day in that you need to do a specific song on at least medium.

• 2 weeks later...

Even after reading these tips and trying countless audio files, I still can't get even one harmony track to work flawlessly. How many other people got it so easily is beyond me. I can't get anywhere close to doing it and I've been trying since I got the game back at the beginning of February. The videos on Youtube for the trophy aren't working for me at all, so if anyone has their own audio file, even just for one harmony track, I'd love to use it. This has got to be the most annoying trophy I've ever attempted...

I'm about to give up, which is a shame, as I've spent hundreds of dollars buying the keyboard, pro drums, and even the Squier. It sucks that one measly bronze trophy is holding me back from the plat.

Edited by Pyramat

It was not easy at all and took me two sessions of two at least two hours each. I ended up singing most of the blue part myself and really needed the sound file only for that half spoken part with all the "mamma mia"'s and "skaramoosh"'es that I couldn't be bothered to harmonize properly.

Have you used pillows or something to isolate your speakers and the mics? Are you sure your sound card isn't adding any faux 3D effect or such?

It was not easy at all and took me two sessions of two at least two hours each. I ended up singing most of the blue part myself and really needed the sound file only for that half spoken part with all the "mamma mia"'s and "skaramoosh"'es that I couldn't be bothered to harmonize properly.

Have you used pillows or something to isolate your speakers and the mics? Are you sure your sound card isn't adding any faux 3D effect or such?

Yeah, I did put a pillow over each speaker to make sure there was no crosstalk. I'm not entirely sure about if my sound card is adding any 3D effects or not though, where would I check that?

Not really sure, depends on make and model I guess but it's probably somewhere under Device Manager (right click my computer, pick properties and from there find a link if you use Win7) and there Sound, video and game controllers. There I found my Soud Blaster and on some tab there was check box to disable all effects. It worked for me without unchecking that one though.

Are you having any lucky with those stereo voices from the video or does it just fail eventually at some point?

Okay, it's working a bit better now, but now I'm having trouble specifically with the fast part. Both the orange and brown harmonies hit all the sections in the first part, but once the fast section starts, and after that too, they miss half the sections. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Woot! I got both the orange and brown harmonies to get 100%! I tried switching out the mic for the brown track (the one that wasn't working very well) and I got 100% for both harmonies on my next try. Now just to do the blue track (with a working mic).

EDIT 2: I got the trophy! The whole time my problem was the mics I was using. Two of my mics weren't picking up some of the pitches, but luckily I have five mics so I had just the right number of working ones. I still hate that trophy trophy with a passion. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! Platinum, here I come. :D

Edited by Pyramat

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to thank you guys for putting up those files for getting that trophy. It took me just over an hour with two laptops, three microphones, and two sets of computer speakers. I had the microphones as far apart as I could, each pointed about 120 degrees from the other two. I balanced the microphones on stacks of two hockey pucks to keep the ends (whatever you call the part you sing into) off of the ground.

It took me many tries to learn when to start up the videos (the video with the blue track I started right as the vocal tracks on the screen scrolled to the left side of the overdrive meter, and then a moment later I started the video with the other two tracks) and the blue track kept missing the fourth or fifth line as I was trying to get it to play with the laptop speaker and then a pair of headphones.

I finally gave in and went through the hassle of unhooking my speakers from my desktop computer and bringing them out into the living room to use with the laptop. On my second try with it (I started the video too late the first time), every line of the song hit and I got the trophy.

• 10 months later...

This is basically my last trophy to get... and I'm having such a hard time with this...

I've been using headphone speakers, but maybe that's the problem. As soon as the Bridge starts, the brown and yellow parts start to have trouble picking up the pitch... Maybe I need to get some good desktop speakers.

Anyone know if it matters which desktop speakers to get?

I don't believe Macbook Pros have 3d faux effect... Those are the ones I've been using...

The blue part gets perfect every time.

Edit: July 27. Got it with Desktop speakers and the pillow trick. First try!

Edited by HaoleDave