American's Reviews!

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Spec Ops: The Line- http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/3958762-post1.html

2. Far Cry 2- http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/4069798-post4.html

Here I'll be making reviews of games that I've played! Hope this helps you guys decide whether you want to buy the game or not!

Feel free to comment!

Spec Ops: The Line

RATED M

2K GAMES

YAGER INTERACTIVE

Story: Spec Ops: The Line follows Captain Martin Walker as he leads a squad of Delta operators into Dubai after hearing a message from Colonel John Konrad asking for evacuation of Dubai. This is where the games shines. This has to be the best story of any game I have ever played. At first, it seems like just some generic shooter with a bland story. But it is anything but. This game makes you think about what you are doing, and why. It'll have you questioning if you are doing right or wrong. The game has multiple endings, and they'll keep you thinking about them for a long time to come.

10/10

Gameplay: Gameplay is average, nothing special. I'd compare it to the Uncharted series. Sadly, it's pretty short, about 3 and a half hours long. You probably won't be buying the game for it's gameplay.

7/10

Controls: The controls are fine, but Walker can feel a bit clunky.. Sometimes it can be difficult to move Walker from cover to cover, and he can get stuck on it.

7/10

Graphics: Dubai looks beautiful, vibrant colors all around. The characters look good as well, but nothing ground breaking. In some cutscenes, textures will take a few seconds to load.

8/10

Sound: The sound is amazing. You can hear the cries of your enemy in battle, and the Delta operators have very good voice actors, especially Walker, who is voiced by Nolan North. You can believe everything they are saying. The guns all sound fine. Yager's choice of music is outstanding. As you get engaged in firefights, music can be heard blaring out of speakers, or in the background.

10/10

Wow Factor: I was extremely surprised by how good the story is. You'll be completely sucked in, and you'll probably finish it all in one sitting. The multiple endings are surprising too, adding a depth to Walker's story, and how it can be interpreted.

10/10

Replay Value: You can just use chapter select to see all the endings, but this game warrants 2 playthroughs at least. You'll want to see what you missed after beating the game once, and will probably play it a 2nd time. After that though, you probably won't be returning to the game ever again.

7/10

Multiplayer: It's so bad. It can be played for a while, but it will get stale quick. No thought was put into it at all, and there is barely any enjoyment to be had. You can't blame Yager though, they didn't want multiplayer in the game, but 2K insisted and assigned a different developer to do the multiplayer. Skip the multiplayer, you don't want it to affect your view of the singleplayer.

5/10

Rent or Buy:: This game is worth buying at 20 bucks or less, but anything more doesn't warrant a purchase. I bought the game at 30 dollars, and would probably not have bought it at 60 dollars. Renting would be the better option (unless the game is on sale).

FINAL VERDICT: 10/10

Spec Ops: The Line is an outstanding game. A story that can be interpreted many ways, and one of the best soundtracks in any video game. The gameplay is sadly average, but I believe it was intended to be that way. This isn't a game for people who care more about gameplay than story, or people who buy games for multiplayer. This game is for people who want to play through an amazing story that will keep them up at night long after beating it.

i am really biased lol

Edited by The Great American Savior

• 1 month later...

This is a review of Far Cry 2 that I posted in the "Rate The Last Game You Finished" thread, so it's in a different format than my Spec Ops: The Line review. Enjoy! Please comment on what you think of it!

Far Cry 2 9/10 (get ready for a long review ;))

This game was really good in my opinion. I bought it after playing the masterpiece that is Spec Ops: The Line because I heard that it was inspired by Heart of Darkness. It's story is actually kind of bland at the beginning, right before you enter the South region in the game, it really gets good. You really start to get sucked in, waiting for the next atrocity you'll have to witness (or even commit yourself! :o) There are many moments in the game where you have to make choices that will affect you and the people who know you, and even some that will decide the fate of Africa and it's people (yes I said some.) One of the endings is complete garbage , and one of them is pretty good. None of them can dethrone Spec Ops: The Line's multiple endings though. I'm getting off topic, I don't want to start rambling on about Spec Ops :D.

Seriously though, if you have any questions about Spec Ops: The Line, PLEASE MESSAGE ME. I would be happy to answer them.

The gameplay is so fun. It really changes depending on where you are, or what you do. On one playthrough, you might assault a fort head on and get one of your buddies killed (more on that later) and on another playthrough you might eliminate everyone there silently. I do have to say though, if you don't switch up your gameplay style every once in a while, it gets boring. After using the AR-16 for so long, I was so bored of the game. Then I switched to using IED's and grenade launchers, and wow, the game completely changed. I hid in bushes waiting for convoys to pass by, waiting for the perfect moment to detonate the bombs I had set earlier. Really fun if you experiment with new techniques a lot! Also, you have safe houses all around the world. You can save here by sleeping, get weapons from any storage boxes you may have, get health and ammo, and get your 2nd best buddy prepared for battle (you have to sleep in a safehouse for him/her to get ready.) To unlock them, you have to kill the 2 or 3 guards that are usually posted in front of them.

Honestly, I was never really compelled to do any of the side activities, and this is where the game falls short. Sure, doing the assassination missions give you diamonds, but you're already stacked with them by just doing the main missions! The convoy missions are actually pretty fun. I did all of them. By taking out a convoy, you unlock new weapons. The thing is, if you don't do any of them, you still get all the weapons at towards the end of the game. Yeah, you'll get the weapons early, but not all of them are that good. Some convoy missions give you really shit weapons (looking at you mortar). They're actually fun to do though, so I'd recommend to do them just because of that. You can tackle them in any way you can imagine. With IED's, RPG's, from afar with a sniper rifle or just head on with whatever you got! By far the most important side activities are the Underground missions. If you don't do them, you don't get the medicine you need to treat your malaria. So it's basically a main mission even though I didn't do all of them (I barely had enough pills to make it to the end:o). There are also side missions you can do for your buddies, which are pointless because all they do is raise you reputation, which makes game even harder than it already is. It gives you more backstory on your buddies, so if you want, you could do it for that, but I didn't do any of them. Also, you can collect diamonds and Jackal audio tapes, but that's kind of boring. Multiplayer is GARBAGE, do not play it :mad:.

I guess what you could call another side activity is subverting main missions, but they're basically side missions in main missions. I did them at first, to tell you the truth, for the trophies they gave you. But after a while, I realized they were just too tedious. Not the actual activities, but the driving you have to do. It drastically increases the length each mission, and gives you more history with your buddies (more on that later :D). Sometime in the Southern region, I just said "screw it" and stopped doing the missions. Sure, they actually got a bit tougher (the subverted missions make the missions easier because you got your buddy to help you at the end), but a lot shorter as well. It's shame that most of the subverted missions are interesting, like instead of assaulting a boat head on, in the subverted mission you drop a gigantic bomb on it from a bridge overlooking it :cool:. It's just too tedious driving to and from every single objective :2walls:.

Now to the buddies! Your buddies are awesome! You save one from whatever area you start in (cool huh? You start in a different area depending on something you do in the beginning!) and he becomes your best buddy. Your best buddy is the one who offers you subverted missions. Then you meet another buddy at a bar, and that buddy becomes your second best buddy. Your second best buddy is the one who rescues you if you get hurt on the battlefield. I had about the same attachment to both buddies (you get a lot more buddies, but your 2 main buddies don't change unless they die). The game makes you care about your buddies, even if they have almost no personality at all, and takes them away from you by giving buddies permanent death. If they die, they're gone. A lot of my buddies died during my mission in Africa:(, but one that is seared into my brain is when my first 2nd best buddy, Marty Alencar, died in the field rescuing me. I was being chased by 2 assault jeeps, and they forced me to crash into a river. I got out, and as I was fighting some guys in front of me, a I took multiple bullets and went down. Marty came to my rescue, dragged me away, handed me a desert eagle, and then he turned to defend me as I dug out a bullet from my knee (the way you heal yourself is really brutal, if you don't have any syringes, you have to do lots of nasty stuff, like taking a bullet out of your hand, fixing a dislocated shoulder, and even cauterizing a wound with a cigarette. OW! :eek:), he took a sniper bullet. I got on the ground next to him, and gave him my only morphine syrette. He needed more. I had no choice but to shoot him in the head, to ease his suffering. As a trophy popped in the corner ((S) Good night sweet prince), I was shocked at what I had just done. My buddy, who had rescued me countless times, was dead by my hand :(. It really hit me. That's Far Cry 2. Making you care about characters with absolutely no personality (Earlier I said you can do buddy side missions for more backstory on them, so yeah, I guess some personality :whistle:).

All in all, this game is very good. The things that really holds it back is the tedious driving and the side activities that are not fun (there are good ones like the convoy mission!), and even pointless. I decided not to add multiplayer into my rating, because it's like a whole other game. I wholeheartedly recommend Far Cry 2 for it's gameplay, story and the connections it makes you have with characters that seem very hard to care about. :applause: :nana:

Spec Ops, for me, I thought was fairly average when I first played through it. Then, over the next few days, I kept thinking about the story and it really grew on me, much better than all the other OTT Hollywood-esque interpretations of war (I will mention no names :whistle:)

Nice reviews though mate! :)

Spec Ops, for me, I thought was fairly average when I first played through it. Then, over the next few days, I kept thinking about the story and it really grew on me, much better than all the other OTT Hollywood-esque interpretations of war (I will mention no names :whistle:)

Nice reviews though mate! :)

Thank you! I'm seriously biased towards Spec Ops: The Line because of how awesome it was when I played it, and 10/10 isn't the score most people think, but that's what I think.

On another note, I was planning to just write a little bit for my Far Cry 2 review, which is why I posted it in the "Rate The Last Game You Finished" thread, but I ended up writing over 6500 words, lol.