Proteus ~ Trophy Guide & Road Map

Ah Pook

Another guide has been chosen as the preferred guide for this game.

This thread has been closed and is not maintained and as a result may contain outdated or incorrect information. Please follow the link below for the preferred guide.

Road Map:

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 1/10 (Trophy Difficulty Rating)
  • Offline trophies: 11 (6(B), 4(S), 1(G))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 3-4 hours
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 3
  • Number of missable trophies: 0
  • Glitched trophies: 0
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: No difficulty settings
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheats

Introduction:

Proteus is a free form exploration game that takes place on a randomly generated island. There really isn't a lot of gameplay to be had, but its a really cool experience. It's not for everyone, but hopefully you know yourself well enough to know if you would enjoy wandering around an abstract environment for some hours and seeing neat things while listening to a cool soundtrack. Either way the trophies are easy and that's what we're here for!

Walkthrough:

Step 1: Play through the game and fully explore the island.

During this Step you want to complete all the trophies that are based on fully exploring the island since that's the most time consuming thing and there's no reason to have to do it repeatedly. Walk around the whole island on the beach, walk all of the path, touch all of the stones and fully explore the island in each season looking for all the different plants. Feel free to do the miscellaneous trophies during this step to or you can do them at any time during your other two required playthroughs.

At the end of this step you will have unlocked:

• Silent And Void (B)(H)
  • Beachcombing (S)
  • Generall Historie of Plantes (S)
  • Unraveling the Landscape (G)
  • The Garden Of Forking Paths (S)

Step 2: Play through the game two more times, and complete any miscellaneous trophies you didn't unlock during Step 1.

The two other hidden trophies are for completing the game twice more from the beginning to the end. It doesn't take very long to go through the seasons to the end so this step isn't too bad. Read the Trophy Guide to see what you have to do for the other miscellaneous trophies.

At the end of this step you will have unlocked:

• Turning Back (B)(H)
  • The Further One Goes (B)(H)
  • Think Like a Mountain (S)
  • The Hidden Door (B)
  • The Circular Ruins (B)
  • Lost Gods of Albion (B)

Edited by Terminator
Removed dead image and associated text.

Trophy Guide:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/D43.jpg The Circular Ruins (B)

Does it exist within the heart of a stone? Did I see it when I saw all things and then forget it?

Somewhere on the island there is a circle of stones. Once it becomes night you will see white particles start flying around it. After you step inside the circle and walk towards the center, the particles will condense into a white portal. When you walk into this portal it will take you to the next season (Spring -> Summer -> Autumn -> Winter). This is how you progress to the end of the game.

Stand inside the circle of stones, near the white portal but not in it and watch the days go past really fast. The trophy will pop after minute or two.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/AF3.jpg Lost Gods of Albion (B)

We had strayed into some region where the frontiers of some unknown world lay close about us.

At night in the Autumn the various landmarks around the island have special events that occur when you approach them. This trophy is for seeing three of the events (I think it has to be all in one night, if anyone can confirm then please let me know). I went to the totems (the group of statues that are shown in the trophy tile. The sky lights up red then a man appears and runs off to the giant tree) the giant tree (the area lights up and a ghost fox plays hide and seek among the trees) and the cabin (the area lights up). The trophy popped when I got to the cabin. Other people have reported it popping for them when they went to the totems, the giant tree and the towers.

I recommend you go during the day and familiarize yourself with the route from the totems to the tree and to the cabin, this so you can find your way once it's dark and you're under some time pressure.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/BDF.jpg The Hidden Door (B)

We have to find the door, daddy.

Scattered around the island there are towers, they look like big tree trunks. When you walk into the side of one the screen will briefly fade and you will be teleported to a different tower. Keep teleporting around and the trophy will pop after a little while.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/CEB.jpg Beachcombing (S)

To see a world in a grain of sand...

Walk all the way around the island on the beach.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/DD9.jpg Generall Historie of Plantes (S)

If delight may provoke men's labour, what greater delight is there than to behold the earth apparelled with plants?

For this trophy you need to see all of the different plants in all of the seasons. Be sure you explore fully during each season and it will pop eventually. Also ensure you see all the different colors of trees, the giant tree and all the various smaller plants.

I'm not sure if this is cumulative across different playthroughs or not, since this game is really hard to pin down specifics in. It popped for me while I was walking past some little shrubs during the Winter.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/96F.jpg The Garden Of Forking Paths (S)

I dreaded walking where there was no path And pressed with cautious tread the meadow swath.

Somewhere on every island there is a path. Walk on all of the paths, including all the forks and this trophy will pop.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/658.jpg Think Like a Mountain (S)

With tranquility, the small goes and the great comes.

Go to the top of a snowy mountain and sit down for 15-20 minutes, the trophy will pop eventually.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/37A.jpg Unraveling the Landscape (G)

Some of these developed stone rows or processional walks that channelled the approach of both the dead and those wishing to commune with them.

Scattered across the island there are rows of stones that point towards the stone circle. When you touch them in the right direction (towards the stone circle) they will make noise and cause all the plants around you to start moving around. You need to touch all the stones on the island and trigger the tone/animation, and then this trophy will pop. Be sure you scour every inch of the island, because there are probably small lines of stones all over the place. I recommend doing this in Spring or Summer, since you have the highest visibility in those seasons.

It's unknown if you need to also touch the stones that make up the stone circle for this to pop. They will generate the tone when you touch them in the right direction and it only takes a minute, thus I recommend doing that first just in case when you start trying for this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/3FD.jpg Silent and Void (B)(H)

There is a thing confusedly formed, Born before heaven and earth. Silent and void It stands alone and does not change, Goes round and does not weary. It is capable of being the mother of the world, But I know not its name.

The three hidden trophies are for completing the game three times from start to finish. To complete the game you need to progress through the seasons to winter, and then float up into the sky. Silent And Void will pop when you get back to the main menu after your first playthrough. Turning Back will pop when you get back to the main menu after your second playthrough and The Further One Goes will pop when you get back to the main menu after your third playthrough.

You do not have to look in specific directions or do anything specific during the ending for these trophies to pop (I personally tested and confirmed this). You also can't reload a postcard and just play the ending part three times, it has to be three full playthroughs.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/4EE.jpg Turning Back (B)(H)

Turning back is how the way moves; Weakness is the means the way employs. The myriad creatures in the world are born from Something, and Something from Nothing.

See Silent and Void

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2159/DD4.jpg The Further One Goes (B)(H)

Without stirring abroad One can know the whole world. Without looking out of the window One can see the way of heaven. The further one goes The less one knows.

See Silent and Void

Edited by Terminator
Editorial Sweep.

Great guide pook I went back and played it again on my other account if u get the right island u can get all but other two ending in one play through because the seasons won't change til u Stand in the circle so u could do all but the endings in one play through I really enjoyed this game and hoping maybe they add more to it well worth it

Thanks for making the guide, didnt feel like starting this before all info was in one place. Game looks awesome.

I had trouble getting Unraveling the Landscape to pop but i got it randomly after finding one stone that was alone near one mountain and after touching it i got the trophy. there was other stones that were alone also but none of the others made any sound like the lines of stone.

I cant get Generall Historie of Plantes, already played this two times and searched everywhere but nothing.. Is there a way to stop from progressing at winter? i feel like there is not enough time ..

Edited by Figma

I seriously doubt Generall Historie of Plantes is for finding all plants, i spend 2h to search thru both day&night on all seasons and even on rain, theres nothing i havent seen before and it does not pop.

Or is there more some plants that are only in one place, like those red things on autumn at grave and theres like only one or two of those green tubes on summer (i think)

Edited by Figma

I seriously doubt Generall Historie of Plantes is for finding all plants, i spend 2h to search thru both day&night on all seasons and even on rain, theres nothing i havent seen before and it does not pop.

Or is there more some plants that are only in one place, like those red things on autumn at grave and theres like only one or two of those green tubes on summer (i think)

I'm sure it has to be done in one playthrough to. Heres what I did to get it. First you need a map where the graveyard and big tree are close to each other. Now, start the game. On your first season travel around the map until sunset. making sure that you hit both the big tree and the graveyard. Aswell as any big clumps of trees. Do the same with the second season. In the third season do the same. One thing differently I did in the third season was making sure I hit both the small red and green plants. It seems that they are never close together. Also in the third season hit the big tree both during the day and night. As the scenery changes between the two for the tree. The forth season is the trickiest because you are limited in time obviously. That's why I suggest a map with the graveyard and big tree close to each other. So, when winter starts head for the graveyard and big tree. Hopefully the trophy pops.

A small checklist I made was

Trees

Green w/ brown bark

Pink w/ brown bark

White w/ purple bark

White w/ Pink bark

Green w/ brown bark (Long Slender)

Of course all the autumn trees as so differently colored. But, I tried to hit every different color.

Dark trees (Winter)

Plants

Small green

Small red

Small brown

Small white

Small pink

Roses (in graveyard)

Pink singing plants

White singing plants

White scared plants (Looks like claws)

Cattails

Normal grass

Long grass

Seaweed? (On the beach)

Pink long grass

Long dead grass

Mushrooms? (In autumn)

White snow covered normal grass

White snow covered long grass

Lol i cant get it to pop, i looked at everything even animals. day/night versions. snow versions. nothing, i give up.

That trophy is a pain, it took me 4 tries before it finally popped. I basically just went around the island in each season for about 20 minutes looking at everything during the day and night. As far as I can see there's no way to tell if you've actually seen everything or not, it's just luck. Annoying trophy...

Glad it's done, didn't really enjoy the game. Not even sure I'd call it a game to be honest....

• 1 month later...

I'm on the "I hate Generall Historie of Plantes trophy" bandwagon now. But I found a tree that looks like a Christmas Tree on my island, maybe that's the one y'all are missing?

I haven't finished with this island yet.

EDIT: How does the game keep track of this? Do you have to touch the plant or just see it?

Edited by MyrequeArk

haha Lucky me! Popped on my first attempt at the plants trophy. No real advice I can give, just that it popped in the winter season when I got to the beach and looked at seaweed in the snow. Never found that christmas tree. I spent about an 30 minutes to an hour during each season though, just wandering around, going along the paths, around cemetery, house, etc. Best advice is to just be patient with the first 3 seasons and try to walk over as much area as you can. Don't expect to get the trophy if you get bored too quickly or want to rush through the seasons.

I enjoyed the game, it seemed stupid at first but you gradually get immersed into it when you start seeing all the little things you come across. It's definitely not for everyone and without trophies, I wouldn't recommend the game at all, as there's no sense of purpose whatsoever, so this is a case where trophies really can help the experience.

Thank you very much for this trophy guide :) It would've been extremely hard to know what to do and where to go without it.

Generall Historie of Plantes was fickle, as others have said before, and I ran around looking at all plants, trees, the big tree, the graveyard flowers etc., but it didn't pop for me. What I did was I had a save during autumn, where I was almost certain that I'd checked everything, and then went into winter (where the exploration time is shorter), and just as some others said, the trophy popped when I went down to the beach and looked at the scarce plants around there.

Edited by Gameguardian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's an option to change the day length in minutes which is set at 15 minutes by default. If I change it to 60 minutes, does that mean that I will get to explore each season/day for 60 minutes, including winter?

Edit: It does change the seasons to an hour long before it's night although I can't confirm it for winter as I got my General Historie of Plantes trophy not long into winter and I just quit as it was my last trophy.

Edited by Harley Quinn

• 4 months later...
Looking forward to trying this game with PS+. Looks interesting, but boy are those trophy descriptions vague and bizarre. Thank goodness for the guide. But according to some of the comments here I'll be happy if I finish with 90%.

+1 to this. It's a good relaxing game. I'd put it in the bracket with Flower and Flow