Operation: Anchorage - Road Map and Trophy Guide

Terminator

As part of the new site update, we've made significant changes to how our guide system works. All new guides will only appear on the front page, but for the best possible experience in using our older guides, we encourage everyone to use the front page version as well, to take advantage of all of our new features and to avoid any forum-side bugs.

mhtkE2V.png

This Road Map and Trophy Guide are written by Harry94_ and Terminator and is the property of us and Playstationtrophies.org. If you find this posted anywhere but here then please let us and the staff know so we may take action against the offender(s).

If you felt compelled to join the forum as a result of this guide then please give one of us a referral (Type Harry94_ or Terminator in the referrer box), thank you.

Road Map

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 3/10 (personal opinion)
  • Offline trophies: 4 (3trophy_silver.png, 1trophy_gold.png)
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 3-4hrs
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 1
  • Number of missable trophies: None.
  • Glitched trophies: None but see the individual trophies for progress blocking glitches and how to avoid/fix them.
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: There are no difficulty trophies.
  • Do trophies stack?: No
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheats available.

Introduction:

Operation: Anchorage sees the Lone Wanderer help some Brotherhood of Steel Outcasts gain access to an Armoury, full of lost technology, by entering the simulation of a pivotal battle from Earth's pre-war past. You need to wait for a message to appear that says "A new radio broadcast has been heard across the Capital Wasteland" before you can start. Once you enter the simulation you will not able to leave until you have finished your mission.

Also note that you need the 1.06 patch installed or have the Game of the Year Edition, before you can play this DLC and earn any trophies.

Walkthrough:

Step 1: Answer the call for help and enter the simulation:

Once the DLC has been installed you will get a new radio signal called "Outcast Distress Call" added to your Pip-Boy's Radio menu. Select it to add the "Aiding the Outcasts" quest to your Active Quest list. After selecting the new quest, make your way to Bailey's Crossroads, wipe out the Super Mutants, make contact with the Outcasts then make your way to their base and enter the simulation.

Completing this Step will net you the Aiding the Outcasts trophy.

Step 2: Destroy the guns!:

This section is extremely linear so you can't get lost, just follow the Quest Marker and you will be fine. Anything you can interact with will flash red and make an electronic "buzzing" noise. There are no health items and little ammo lying around, only Health and Ammo Dispensers so make use of them. Destroying the guns is easy, just clear out the enemies then plant your charges and get out of there before they blow.

Finishing this Step will net you the The Guns of Anchorage trophy.

Step 3: Clear a path to the Chinese HQ:

For this Step you need to clear-out the Mining Village and Ice Camp as well as destroying the Fuel Tanks at the Tank Depot and Capturing the Listening Post. For some reason certain enemies will take a lot of hits to kill, even though there is no logical reason for it.

Finishing this Step will net you the Paving the Way trophy.

Step 4: Kill the Chinese General and claim your reward:

Make your way through the heavily guarded trenches and past the bunkers and guard towers to the Pulse Field Control Room and overload the Field Generators. After the Pulse Field has been neutralised make your way to the Chinese HQ and kill the General. Once the General has been eliminated you will be returned to the real world, make your way to the Armoury Access terminal then open the Armoury and clean it out.

There is a snag with cleaning out the Armoury i.e after a while, Sibley and a few others will take offence to your presence and try to kill you so they can claim the gear for themselves. Your only option after they attack is to kill them. Fortunately, killing Sibley and his buddies will not cause you lose any Karma and will not make the other Outcasts hostile.

Finishing this Step will net you the Operation: Anchorage! trophy.

Notes:

• You might wish to start a new game for this DLC as doing it when your save file is approaching the 10mb Danger Zone may make life harder for you but travelling light will help ease the lag a little
  • See here for info on what bugs you can expect to encounter whilst playing this DLC: LINK. Credit to the Fallout Wiki for the link).
  • Potential problems with Companions means we recommend that you either tell them to wait at your chosen home or dismiss them, then collect/re-hire them once you've finished this DLC.
  • Due to the huge amount of gear you get as a reward for finishing this DLC, make sure you travel extremely light at all times prior to entering the Simulation. This way you will have room to carry everything you want without making multiple journeys. It may also help if you bring some Buffout with you.
  • Thanks to some pointless changes made due to censorship, the "Gary 23" Holotape (an optional, non-mission/story related item) is harder to get in the German and Japanese versions of the game and makes no sense when you listen to it due to Gary having his arm intact.
  • See here for general advice and other tips: LINK
  • Warning: It's possible to screw yourself out of all or some of these trophies by allowing the Neural Interface Suit to become damaged as there's no way to repair it. To avoid this issue, ensure you only put it on when first told to then remove it once the Simulation is complete. Credit to jmac92123 for this info.
Edited by Terminator
Update 1.9.

Trophy Guide:

051.jpg Aiding the Outcasts (S)

Completed 'Aiding the Outcasts'

Story Related and Unmissable

WARNING: The entrance to Bailey's Metro is extremely freeze and lag prone once your save gets to 10mb or above, it may take several attempts before you can enter without the game freezing.

Before starting this DLC, ensure all your equipment is fully repaired and that you have plenty of ammo and health items because there are some major battles coming up. The fastest way to get to the Crossroads is to Fast Travel to the Red Racer Factory and walk South until you see a door on your left. This door will lead to a collapsed Metro Station (with a few Feral Ghouls in residence) and at the other end of the station is another door that opens onto the Bailey's Crossroads itself. After helping the Outcasts clear out all the Super Mutants, talk to Outcast Defender Morrill. He will ask why you're there and will be extremely interested in your Pip-Boy when you say how you picked up their signal. After a short conversation Morrill will radio ahead so you can enter the Outcast base without being shot at.

On entering the base you will be stopped by Defender Sibley, who will order you to holster your weapon and follow him to Protector McGraw. After McGraw explains the situation, Sibley will take you to Scribe Olin who will explain what's going to happen and give you a Neural Interface Suit, which you must equip before you can enter the Simulator. Once you enter the simulation you will be greeted by Benjamin Montgomery who after a short conversation will give you a Stealth Boy, a Trench Knife, a Silenced 10mm Pistol, 50 Bobby Pins, Winterized Combat Armour, Winterized Combat Helmet and 60 rounds of 10mm ammo.

The trophy will pop shortly after the conversation is over and Benjamin has left.

052.jpg The Guns of Anchorage (S)

Completed 'The Guns of Anchorage'

When you start this part of the DLC you can earn a new Perk by collecting all 10 Intel Suitcases, see here for their locations: LINK (credit to the Fallout Wiki for the link).

After receiving your new gear equip it and make your way through the various tunnels and caves, killing every enemy you see until you meet up again with Benjamin, in a cave further in. After you've regrouped you can take a back seat and let Benjamin do all the work as he can't be killed, just rendered unconscious. Whilst making your way through this next area you will encounter several snipers, soldiers and a couple of heavily defended bunkers.

The three guns to be destroyed are in close proximity to each other and lightly guarded. Before you can destroy a gun you must wipe out all the soldiers who are guarding it, then you can plant your charge and get out before it blows. After the last gun has been destroyed the screen will fade out and you will end up in front of a General Chase, who will congratulate you.

WARNING: There is a nasty but rare glitch with the third gun that can cause your console to hard-freeze when it blows up. To avoid this glitch, save before planting the charge and don't stray too far beyond the safe zone.

The trophy will pop once the conversation with General Chase is finished.

053.jpg Paving the Way (S)

Completed 'Paving the Way'

After speaking to General Chase and receiving your orders and field promotion, you will have to select your team and equip them and yourself. You get your equipment by placing a requisition order at the Main Terminal and taking the Holodisk it gives you to the Quartermaster. You can select the make-up of your team from the other terminal and you will get a message afterwards saying they're waiting for you outside. How you setup your team is up to you but I would make sure you have at least one Sniper. If your Speech Level is high enough, you will be able to persuade the Quartermaster to give you a Gauss Rifle and some ammo.

WARNING: The Frame-Rate will plummet to almost nothing on exiting the tent the first 3 times you're sent there so save, exit, reload the game and clear the cache to fix it each time. See the linked advice thread mentioned in the Road Map for how to clear the cache.

Speak to Benjamin then you will be free to tackle the objectives in any order. After you've secured the area, destroyed the Fuel Tanks and captured the Listening Post the quest will end and you will auto-return to General Chase. Three things to watch out for are the tanks in the Fuel Tank area, Snipers (there are loads scattered throughout each of the objective areas) and many Elite Dragoon Soldiers, all equipped with Stealth Suits.

The trophy will pop just after you have returned to General Chase.

054.jpg Operation: Anchorage! (G)

Completed 'Operation: Anchorage!'

WARNING: Some areas you will visit for this final trophy have an extremely low Frame-Rate so react appropriately.

This trophy is relatively simple up to a point as all you have to do is go through the trenches to reach the Pulse Field Control Centre, overload the Pulse Field, go to the HQ and kill General Jingwei. Now comes the hard part. If you have a high enough Speech Level then you can persuade Jingwei to commit suicide but if your Speech Level is too low then you will have to kill him, which is not easy as his main weapon is a powerful sword and he has lots of health. Regardless of how you get rid of him, General Chase will appear shortly afterwards and pull you out of the simulation and back to the real world.

Once back in the real world, re-equip everything you were wearing and using prior to entering the simulation. Drop any un-necessary items, make your way to the Armoury door terminal and use it to open the Armoury. The trophy will pop once Scribe Olin has finished talking to you.

Addendum: If you have started but yet to get the Main Game trophy called You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head, then there is a trick you can use to get it during this final Quest with very little work. All you have to do is after you gain access to the Armoury in the Outcast base, pick up the Winterized T-51b Power Armour then drop it and pick it up again. The trophy will pop once you've picked it up again, if you haven't started the mission then talking to Mister Crowley and accepting the mission will pop the trophy (credit to The Great American Savior, x410xDragon and Fordis for confirming this actually works and how to do it).

Note:

• The Winterized T-51b Power Armour you get from the Outcast Armoury is virtually indestructible so it's highly unlikely you will ever have to repair it.
  • See here for info on some bugs you might encounter and how to fix/avoid them: LINK (credit to the Fallout Wiki for the link).
Edited by Terminator
Update 1.7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is most certainly NOT normal :confused:. I'm sure I've read something about this on the wiki, give me a minute to find it.

EDIT:

Here you go: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Aiding_the_Outcasts#Notes there are a number of things you can do accidentally to annoy them that will make the hostile.

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info.

That is most certainly NOT normal :confused:. I'm sure I've read something about this on the wiki, give me a minute to find it.

EDIT:

Here you go: Aiding the Outcasts - The Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more there are a number of things you can do accidentally to annoy them that will make the hostile.

I read those and none of them applied in my case. I didn't encounter the Outcasts at the Fort in this playthrough, and my dialog choices were either cooperative or neutral throughout my interactions.

Everything was completely normal until I got inside the armory and I heard one of them complaining to the others that I shouldn't be given any of the loot. Then I heard gunfire and assumed they were fighting amongst themselves as I continued to go about my business of looting the armory. When I stepped out, they were all shooting at me. Weird.

[spoiler=OAA]That battle is supposed to happen but what's meant to happen afterwards is the Rebels get killed and everything returns to normal though it sounds like that didn't happen.

Do you have a save from before you opened the Armoury? If you do then try loading it but this time, make sure you help to kill the rebels that don't want you to have anything.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed spoiler.

[spoiler=OA]That battle is supposed to happen but what's meant to happen afterwards is the Rebels get killed and everything returns to normal though it sounds like that didn't happen.

Do you have a save from before you opened the Armoury? If you do then try loading it but this time, make sure you help to kill the rebels that don't want you to have anything.

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I'd probably have to go back to a save just before the pulse minefield in Operation Anchorage, but it's good to know I have that option if I find the Outcasts in the Wastes are all hostile to me.

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to halt the simulation? I am approaching my first karma trophy and I didn't even realize this dlc could run me through so many levels. There is only 1 ncp terminal I have seen and it doesn't lower my karma, what can I do?

Edit: I managed to get through, I let the squad do all the killing and only killed a very few enemies, that was way too close.

Edited by NY_Madness

• 11 months later...

UPDATE:

As promised yesterday in the Main Guide, I have made some adjustments to this one though these are relatively minor in comparison. I've updated the Road Map a little bit as well a the tiles, values and descriptions in the Guide itself so everything is up to code now :). I've also added some additional information to a couple of the trophies and tightened up the formatting overall.

I'll be doing updates to The Pitt and Broken Steel Guides as well so keep an eye out for those :).

That's already there :):

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/70/052.jpg The Guns of Anchorage (S)

Completed 'The Guns of Anchorage'

When you start this part of the DLC you can earn a new Perk by collecting all 10 Intel Suitcases, see here for their locations: LINK (credit to the Fallout Wiki for the link).

After receiving your new gear equip it and make your way through the various tunnels and caves, killing every enemy you see until you meet up again with Benjamin, in a cave further in. After you've regrouped you can take a back seat and let Benjamin do all the work as he can't be killed, just rendered unconscious. Whilst making your way through this next area you will encounter several snipers, soldiers and a couple of heavily defended bunkers.

The three guns to be destroyed are in close proximity to each other and lightly guarded. Before you can destroy a gun you must wipe out all the soldiers who are guarding it, then you can plant your charge and get out before it blows. After the last gun has been destroyed the screen will fade out and you will end up in front of a General Chase, who will congratulate you.

WARNING: There is a nasty but rare glitch with the third gun that can cause your console to hard-freeze when it blows up. To avoid this glitch, save before planting the charge and don't stray too far beyond the safe zone.

The trophy will pop once the conversation with General Chase is finished.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

• 10 months later...