Harry94_

What would you rate this game?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rate this game?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8671/gamereviewthreadheader.png

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2725/averagereviewscore85.png

Average Game Rating = 8.5

How To Review

1. Please don't post a review without having played the game first!
  2. Please don't post a review unless you have played alot of hours or have completed the game.
  3. Please DON'T write any spoilers. If in doubt contact me.
  4. Only write about the multiplayer aspect in the 'Multiplayer Experience' heading.
  5. Please put a description in each section & then rate it out of 10.
  6. Do not review on the trophy aspect of the game.
  7. Anybody can review, you dont have to write a huge review. Just your thoughts on the game.
  8. Review what YOU think & don’t be influenced by others.

Template

Story:

Gameplay:

Controls:

Graphics:

Sound (Gameplay):

Sound (Music):

Wow Factor:

Replay Value:

Multiplayer Experience:

Rent or Buy this Game?

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll!

Please Use the above as a template for your review. But if you want you can add your own titles. Remember to use the poll!

NOTE: This is not a discussion thread, please only post your reviews. Any other posts will be deleted.

Please don't create these type of threads yourself, If you need further assistance contact:

:psn: Harry94

:psn: OLIVERMC97

Edited by Harry94_

Story: Its very interested and something that is forgotten in most fighting games and here its done very well, adds a good 3 hours of playtime and feels like a movie

Gameplay: Its spot on and its great for beginners and has many tools for experts as very, its been balanced very well but still needs to be tweaked. Tournament level gameplay forsure

Controls: The controls are perfect for anyone as they are customizable and responsive

Graphics: The graphics will make your jaws drop

Sound: The sound is tip top especially with surround sound with the blades and moves of every character and the music is perfect for the mood.

Wow Factor: Its definally breath taking

Replay Value: Its has limitless replay value, the more you play the better you become and with more than 28 fighters, it will take years before you master them all to professional level

Multiplayer Experience: It started out laggy and horrible but is now mostly lag free, with a large range of skill in every player

Rent Or Buy This Game? MUST BUY

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll : I gave it a 10, once you understand how to play and learn not to button smash then you have entered a game in which only you can push to become better.

• 2 weeks later...

Story: I know I might get flamed for this like I have once or twice before, but seriously I don't get it. How can anyone like this game's story? It was pure ass, from the time altered reboot story, the whole "He must win" BS, Ed Boon's obsession with screwing over the 2nd Sub-Zero, poorly written dialogue, killing off too many iconic characters (I get it, some had to die but they went way overboard so much I think anti-depressant meds need to be given out to the whole NRS team), and changes to the original story that made no sense (like why was Quan Chi there when he originally worked behind the scenes until MK4 for example). Now I've followed MK for nearly 20 years now and the way this story destroys the original timeline is an insult to fellow veteran fans like myself. Back in 2006, I was under the impression that MK would start a new era with only a few survivors where Taven won against Blaze (and one of those survivors should've been the 2nd Sub-Zero given his vital contributions to the heroes over the course of the original timeline). But no, they opt for a reboot instead and reboots are frequently a sign of running out of ideas. Boon and NRS, you'd have been better off having Taven win against Blaze as I'd just said. By killing off so many characters and especially heroes at that, they may have dug themselves too deep a hole for MK10 in 2 years (4 or more if Warner Bros forces them to do another MK/DC or God forbid MK vs. Looney Tunes or some other lame assed crossover shit). MK clearly had 2011's worst game story ever, and if this game was based on story alone, I'd give it a big fat zero. But games are not made on stories alone, so onto the next category.

Gameplay: One of MK's biggest strengths, the return to 2D combined with solid controls makes for a solid experience whether online or off, against AI or human opponents.

Controls: The controls work well and anyone familiar with old favorites in the series will be able to adapt to this game with a minimum of fuss. New players can too.

Graphics: The graphics are very impressive, from detail on the fighters to the backgrounds. Graphically, MK made the jump to next-gen with flying colors.

Sound: Sound effects are done very well from the screams to the contact in kombat, and one major plus in the voice acting department is the talented Richard Epcar voicing Raiden (it's regretful that the story is full of abysmal writing and dialogue, but that's not his fault).

Wow Factor: The game is fun to play, no question there. Story mode as I'd said sucks, but it does serve as an effective tutorial. Fights are fun, fast, and crazy, and like older MK titles of the PS2 era, there's plenty more to do besides arcade and versus.

Replay Value: It started out being something I played a lot but how they altered the past and paved the way to a negative future unless they learn how to tell a proper story next time has made me barely touch it the past few months.

Multiplayer Experience: Online has been a lot of fun and has some good options, one of my favorites which is being able to watch fights while waiting your turn in King of the Hill mode. It reminds me of the old days when the first 4 MK titles graced the arcades during the 1990s. There was some lag previously and King of the Hill points were glitched, but they supposedly fixed that which is a definite plus. Took them long enough though.

Rent Or Buy This Game? If I had to do it all over again, I'd have bought the regular addition at a lower price after it had been out awhile. It was fun to play for awhile, but the changes made in the story have turned me off. I regret buying the $100 edition the day it debuted. Buying it new for $40 or less would've been more preferrable.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll : I give it a 6 out of 10, a game whose creators should be thankful that stories don't make most games but when the next game comes out with so many favorite fighters gone, this game could be remembered as what might kill the franchise. For now, gameplay is its saving grace but the changes they made in terms of story will clearly come back to haunt this series.

Edited by Tiberius

Story: I know I might get flamed for this like I have once or twice before, but seriously I don't get it. How can anyone like this game's story? It was pure ass, from the time altered reboot story, the whole "He must win" BS, Ed Boon's obsession with screwing over the 2nd Sub-Zero, poorly written dialogue, killing off too many iconic characters (I get it, some had to die but they went way overboard so much I think anti-depressant meds need to be given out to the whole NRS team), and changes to the original story that made no sense (like why was Quan Chi there when he originally worked behind the scenes until MK4 for example). Now I've followed MK for nearly 20 years now and the way this story destroys the original timeline is an insult to fellow veteran fans like myself. Back in 2006, I was under the impression that MK would start a new era with only a few survivors where Taven won against Blaze (and one of those survivors should've been the 2nd Sub-Zero given his vital contributions to the heroes over the course of the original timeline). But no, they opt for a reboot instead and reboots are frequently a sign of running out of ideas. Boon and NRS, you'd have been better off having Taven win against Blaze as I'd just said. By killing off so many characters and especially heroes at that, they may have dug themselves too deep a hole for MK10 in 2 years (4 or more if Warner Bros forces them to do another MK/DC or God forbid MK vs. Looney Tunes or some other lame assed crossover shit). MK clearly had 2011's worst game story ever, and if this game was based on story alone, I'd give it a big fat zero. But games are not made on stories alone, so onto the next category.

Gameplay: One of MK's biggest strengths, the return to 2D combined with solid controls makes for a solid experience whether online or off, against AI or human opponents.

Controls: The controls work well and anyone familiar with old favorites in the series will be able to adapt to this game with a minimum of fuss. New players can too.

Graphics: The graphics are very impressive, from detail on the fighters to the backgrounds. Graphically, MK made the jump to next-gen with flying colors.

Sound: Sound effects are done very well from the screams to the contact in kombat, and one major plus in the voice acting department is the talented Richard Epcar voicing Raiden (it's regretful that the story is full of abysmal writing and dialogue, but that's not his fault).

Wow Factor: The game is fun to play, no question there. Story mode as I'd said sucks, but it does serve as an effective tutorial. Fights are fun, fast, and crazy, and like older MK titles of the PS2 era, there's plenty more to do besides arcade and versus.

Replay Value: It started out being something I played a lot but how they altered the past and paved the way to a negative future unless they learn how to tell a proper story next time has made me barely touch it the past few months.

Multiplayer Experience: Online has been a lot of fun and has some good options, one of my favorites which is being able to watch fights while waiting your turn in King of the Hill mode. It reminds me of the old days when the first 4 MK titles graced the arcades during the 1990s. There was some lag previously and King of the Hill points were glitched, but they supposedly fixed that which is a definite plus. Took them long enough though.

Rent Or Buy This Game? If I had to do it all over again, I'd have bought the regular addition at a lower price after it had been out awhile. It was fun to play for awhile, but the changes made in the story have turned me off. I regret buying the $100 edition the day it debuted. Buying it new for $40 or less would've been more preferrable.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll : I give it a 6 out of 10, a game whose creators should be thankful that stories don't make most games but when the next game comes out with so many favorite fighters gone, this game could be remembered as what might kill the franchise. For now, gameplay is its saving grace but the changes they made in terms of story will clearly come back to haunt this series.

Everyone has their own opinion but thats really dumb. 6/10 just for the story. So if this fighting game didnt have a story mode like the rest of fighting games out there they would get a 9/10. I understand where your coming from on the story but I think its still very entertaining which is the main point of the story, whether is excites your or angers your or makes you sad its a story that brought emotions out like yours and that deserves a 8/10 at minimum for ths story

Everyone has their own opinion but thats really dumb. 6/10 just for the story. So if this fighting game didnt have a story mode like the rest of fighting games out there they would get a 9/10. I understand where your coming from on the story but I think its still very entertaining which is the main point of the story, whether is excites your or angers your or makes you sad its a story that brought emotions out like yours and that deserves a 8/10 at minimum for ths story

What you fail to understand is that with so many iconic characters gone is that they've alienated a lot of long time fans. Original fans like myself have followed this franchise since its debut back in 1992 and a lot of us find the changes to these characters and the storyline we've known since the early days a major problem. The story isn't entertaining at all, it's poorly written drivel for a franchise I reluctantly have to admit has seen better days. Shao Kahn wins MK: Armageddon and the only way Raiden can stop him is message his MK1 self saying Kahn needs to win during MK3 events? Sorry but that's incredibly stupid. Whoever wrote that story had no idea what the hell they're doing. Honestly I think the majority of the people who like the story are either those unfamiliar with the original timeline or weren't even born when this franchise started. When you follow a series for a long time (TV show, movies, books, game series, whatever) and they make vast changes like this, it's not going to sit too well with most people. Now while I know nothing about making video games, I'll say this much. I've done some writing in my spare time and I know I'm several times better than whoever wrote this game's story. You obviously have yet to follow a series of any kind for an extended period of time as I have. One day you will and when they make massive negative changes like what's been done with Mortal Kombat, you'll see why such a thing comes across as disappointing, upsetting, and disturbing.

What you fail to understand is that with so many iconic characters gone is that they've alienated a lot of long time fans. Original fans like myself have followed this franchise since its debut back in 1992 and a lot of us find the changes to these characters and the storyline we've known since the early days a major problem. The story isn't entertaining at all, it's poorly written drivel for a franchise I reluctantly have to admit has seen better days. Shao Kahn wins MK: Armageddon and the only way Raiden can stop him is message his MK1 self saying Kahn needs to win during MK3 events? Sorry but that's incredibly stupid. Whoever wrote that story had no idea what the hell they're doing. Honestly I think the majority of the people who like the story are either those unfamiliar with the original timeline or weren't even born when this franchise started. When you follow a series for a long time (TV show, movies, books, game series, whatever) and they make vast changes like this, it's not going to sit too well with most people. Now while I know nothing about making video games, I'll say this much. I've done some writing in my spare time and I know I'm several times better than whoever wrote this game's story. You obviously have yet to follow a series of any kind for an extended period of time as I have. One day you will and when they make massive negative changes like what's been done with Mortal Kombat, you'll see why such a thing comes across as disappointing, upsetting, and disturbing.

I might not be as old as you as Im just 18 but I do understand how you see the story is weak but that is because of how it is layedout. A good story mode has one main character but mk9 has over half the cast which makes the story jump around alot. I never cared for MK9 back in the day besides the movies so I can't say I was a long time fan. I see what you mean when they kill all the characters at once in a pretty pathetic scene as I follow GTA and when I saw the wall of all the main characters dead I was pretty pissed.

None the less you shouldn't have given MK9 a 6/10 just for a story mode when its not the core of the game at all.

I might not be as old as you as Im just 18 but I do understand how you see the story is weak but that is because of how it is layedout. A good story mode has one main character but mk9 has over half the cast which makes the story jump around alot. I never cared for MK9 back in the day besides the movies so I can't say I was a long time fan. I see what you mean when they kill all the characters at once in a pretty pathetic scene as I follow GTA and when I saw the wall of all the main characters dead I was pretty pissed.

None the less you shouldn't have given MK9 a 6/10 just for a story mode when its not the core of the game at all.

This series is nearly 20 years old, and just like any other series out there with a long lifespan, long time fans get attached to the characters and other factors like ongoing story for example. And as for your claim that I gave it a 6/10 just for story mode, that's completely false. I rated all of the categories but 6/10 is my final verdict because what you might not see is this. What they've done for story mode sets the table for this and future outings. A lot of long time fans have characters they really like and if they're gone, that has the chance to make those fans not return for the next title. I'd said before knowing that the story has been severely screwed with as well as the death of some iconic characters has made me want to play this less (haven't touched it in months in fact). Story can have more of an effect on a game franchise a lot more than you think, even more so for a series like this one that's nearly 20 years old with a lot of fans who have followed it from the beginning. I might come across as a cranky old fart venting about remakes and reboots of something that was clearly better in my opinion when I was younger, but trust me on this. You'll be doing this yourself when they mess with a series that you like when you get older, probably at a younger age than I started to do because so much stuff is getting reboots and remakes at a much quicker pace these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Story: Enjoyable, though kinda of annoying at how you couldn't skip through the cut scenes if continuing the next day.

Gameplay: Great, easy gameplay

Controls: Simple enough to understand, for newbies and oldies

Graphics: Amazing.

Sound (Gameplay):Two words.......Finish him!

Sound (Music): Perfect music, fits the mood of the levels and gameplay perfectly.

Wow Factor: For me it was the X-Ray's and graphics

Replay Value: Ton's especially if you are going for the platinum

Multiplayer Experience: Not played much so can't review atm.

Rent or Buy this Game? Buy

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: 9 /10. Great game and looking forward to getting the platinum

• 1 month later...

Story: Can I say best story ever considering its a fighting game.I mean what fighting game you know actually give a damn about the storyline???Anybody...........i didn't thinking so.Applause to the actors who voices go well with each character,the way they was able to connect the previous game together(If you don't know it was MK:Armageddon),and there ability to shake things up a bit with the plot of MK,MKII,andMK3

Gameplay:With the inducting of the X-ray meter,Kombo moves and Breaker it sets up for a fast pace,in-your-face type of fighting game,you will not see a lot of players play turtle style or play lame becasue the game do not award you for such style

Controls:It is fluent at time but there is a thing called Negative Edge,which the computer in the game try to predict what your input in for a certain special move and sometime the computer gets it wrong and the character does the wrong move and your opponent punishes you for it

Graphics:The graphics are beautiful as it should be,they use a modify version of the latest Unreal Engine,the blood,scrapes,and bruises are visually "beautiful"

Sound (Gameplay): You really get a sense of the character pain when the X-Ray is activated and you hear each rib breaking,skull cracking,and the feel of a man getting punch repeatedly in the groin,(Shoutouts to Johnny Cage for that)its a wonderful thing to hear.

Sound (Music):Classic Music from the original MK Trilogy was a trip back down memory lane

Wow Factor: The Wow Factor for me would have to be the amount of time it was put in this game to make it a tournament worthy fighting game while previous MK games wouldn't even be talked about among fighting game enthusiast

Replay Value: Where do I start,we have the Challenge Tower which has 300 missions to complete than you have the minigames like test your might,test your sight,and the arcade ladder which helps you unlock new character and costumes.

Multiplayer Experience: One word: LAG

Rent or Buy this Game? Definitely Buy this game

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll! Overall I gave it a 9/10

Edited by bluballs20

• 3 weeks later...

Story : well if you're waiting for a screenplay worthy of Rockstar Games you'll be disappointed BUT we must admit that NetherRealm tried to do something with the mythology and background of MK and we cannot blame them for that.

Of course, the psychology of characters is pretty thin and sometimes, justification for fights are a bit ridiculous but the story have few surprising twists.

Gameplay : deeper than it seems, especially with X-Ray moves, Breaker and Enhanced Special Attacks, the game become a little bit more technical.

Controls : good ! Kombos and special attacks comes pretty fast and the Fatalities and Babalities seems to be easier to do than in previous games.

Graphics : apart the breast size of female characters which I find a bit exagerated and the faces sometimes rigid, it's beautiful, especially the stages, really varied.

Sound (Gameplay) : well it's MK so you hear cracking bones, flesh torn apart, blood spurting out...

Sound (Music) : good orchestral music, it's not Jerry Goldsmith or Michael Giacchino but it fits to the game.

Wow Factor : a surprinsigly rich fighting games with a lot of things to do.

Replay Value : with all the secrets to unlock and all the challenges, you won't finish the game within a week...

Multiplayer Experience : didn't try yet but I hope meeting fair players and, of course, no connection problems...

Rent or Buy this Game? If you're a fan of the old MK on Genesis and SNES, defintely a must buy ! If you're a fan of fighting games, well you should rent it first, especially if you're expecting technical fights.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating : 8/10. THAT'S what I call a reboot, even a ressurection ! NetherRealm Studios wasn't expected so they got all the time to make their game without pressure and there it is : fun, deep, with plenty of things to do, difficult (sometimes a bit too much) and of course gory...

Story: Best Story Mode in any fighting game ever. Fighting games need to take a page from Mortal Kombat and do something similar...The story mode was fantastic. The characters had depth and dimension, Johnny Cage was HILARIOUS!!!

Gameplay:

Controls: I'm not a fan of the block button, but other than that, I find the controls easy to use.

Graphics: I love the return to 2D fighting, i think the graphics are amazing, but i hate HATE HATE Kitana's hair. The girls do sport some horrible man face issues, but other than that, I think everything looked great.

Sound (Gameplay): The sound was great, i thought the voice acting for this game was FLAWLESS.

Sound (Music): They really should've used the character themes they had in the Inspire by the warriors soundtrack...but the use of the stage themes are fair.

Wow Factor: Amazing, the challenge tower was challenging and fun, the story mode was truly one of the best from any fighting game.

Replay Value: I like it enough to still play.

Multiplayer Experience: This is where the game loses it a bit for me, the online play can be frustrating, but mostly due to rage quitters from other players, not really the games fault.

Rent or Buy this Game? Buy Buy Buy!

• 1 year later...