Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

ShadowAFC

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Mass Efect 2. This thread has been created to discuss anything Mass Effect related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune. A little reminder for you all, posting major spoilers without tags outside of this thread is punishable with a three day ban.

Edited by ShadowAFC

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started the Miranda loyalty mission I did not take her along as it did not force it like some of the other missions did. Are the rest of these missions similar, as I don't want to search for the answer on google prior to playing it. I want to play this on my own as much as possible and only refer to guides on internet as a last resort.

Edited by ecto69
Typo

i have 2 ending saves: a save where only legion died, and i decided not to destroy the ship (I thought it would have been a good choice, an advantage for ME3, Mordin said destroying the ship could risk the galaxy, then on the normandy he disagrees with me ¬_¬)

the 2nd ending I have everyone survive, and i destroyed the ship, the crew agree with my actions, but i have a feeling it's gonna make ME3 a lot harder :(

i have 2 ending saves: a save where only legion died, and i decided not to destroy the ship (I thought it would have been a good choice, an advantage for ME3, Mordin said destroying the ship could risk the galaxy, then on the normandy he disagrees with me ¬_¬)

the 2nd ending I have everyone survive, and i destroyed the ship, the crew agree with my actions, but i have a feeling it's gonna make ME3 a lot harder :(

I always that the true renegade path would be harder in the third game. You killed the council so they won't help, Wrex is dead so there are no united Krogan armies to help, you killed the Rachni queen so they can't help, you tell the Quarian's to take back their homeworld so their fleet isn't prepared and can't help, and you side with Cerberus so the Alliance won't help. Basically you are betting on Cerberus being able to adapt Reaper tech to use, even though the third novel shows that is virtually impossible.

I have done Tali's recruitment and loyalty missions 6 times now and I am starting to wonder why that star has dark energy in it and who put it there. They say the Geth don't have the tech or the motivation to do it so that really leaves the Reapers bit I'm wondering why they would be doing it.

I totally see this coming another dragon age origins kind of thing. Traveling far and wide to recruit allies it would be pretty cool. If you finished paragon then you have the friendship of krogans, rachni, quarian and geth, which all them fight each other in the past. Only shepard can rally them under his command.

anyway me3 will be awesome =D

I have done Tali's recruitment and loyalty missions 6 times now and I am starting to wonder why that star has dark energy in it and who put it there. They say the Geth don't have the tech or the motivation to do it so that really leaves the Reapers bit I'm wondering why they would be doing it.

I'm starting to think that might be a big deal later too. I'm doing my insanity run now, and when you talk to Veetor on Freedom's Progress, he talks about how he talk readings on his omni-tool of the Collectors and he mentions something about dark energy there too. Maybe I'm just reading too far into it but I thought that might show some kind of implication that the Reapers are involved with the star too.

It turns out, playing as an asshole actually leads to some pretty funny dialogue from Shepard.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjTuSQNLI4]YouTube - Mass Effect 2: Commander Shepard Is Still A Jerk[/ame]

05:40-05:52 and 07:06-07:18 are some of my favorites :rofl:.

Edited by BreadSkin

I prefer having a Paragon game for everybody like me \o/ I think will be more nice when Mass Effect 3 come...

Same. I'm on my Insanity run now and going with Paragon again for that very reason. I know Renegade has some hilarious lines but there's enough humor in the game to where I don't need to [potentially] jeapordize my playstyles for Mass Effect 3.

I completed my first pass last night (5am). I was playing the game from the get go as Paragon (as that is me personally) however I did do a lot of Renegade so I was not able to max out my Paragon and could not regain Jack's loyalty.

I wanted to keep Miranda as I really liked her from the start.

Really like what she says at the end when I decide to blow up the collector base.

Not sure if it was good to piss of TIM but I slowly grew to hate him and thank goodness Miranda does now as well.

For my final mission I took Miranda and Grunt, I played on Casual as I am not that great at RPG play, I am more interested in the story aspect.

Edited by ecto69
typo edit "he vs she"

Yeah, I just finished playthrough 1 at 1 AM last night. I have to say that the "ending" left me feeling a bit hollow. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, as well as the ending battles, but all in all, I was disappointed in the "suicide mission". It seemed like a paint-by-numbers to save the entire crew and your squad. As I played with no guide whatsoever, I fully expected to fail at a lot of things in the playthrough. As it turned out, I completely, 100% succeeded at...everything. Every loyalty mission. Every necessary precaution. At every point (except for one very minor one, where I had mercy on someone without realizing that she was a killer), I did the right thing. Looking back, it soured the experience.

Another annoyance that someone mentioned in another thread was the lack of a central enemy. The entire time, you're waiting to meet this Harbinger who seems to know you well. Not only do you NOT meet him, but in fact, your enemies end up being the incredibly random kind. I didn't play the first game, but it would have been much better to have some single entity in a back-and-forth.

The final story verdict? This game ends up suffering from severe middle-child syndrome. It just doesn't feel very complete. The Collectors were never a particularly compelling enemy (perhaps because I only meet them halfway through the game, and I only meet them over the course of three quests or so). And how about some storyline at the end telling me what became of the characters? For all of Dragon Age's problems, it got this right - you had a compelling bad guy, from beginning to end (no switcheroo, e.g., from Harbinger to random-wannabe-human-reaper), and you had a idea of the purpose and future of each character from your decisions. Instead, I don't really know what my decisions affected. The game seems completely unchanged if I decide to like or hate the Illusive Man, e.g.

Great gameplay, great storytelling (character interactions, e.g., were quite nice), but ultimately lacking in purpose. It has something of a filler feel to it.

I prefer having a Paragon game for everybody like me \o/ I think will be more nice when Mass Effect 3 come...

It honestly feels like sometimes the game tries to push you to Paragon, which I really don't like. For example, the two Illium quests (asari and salarian) only give you Paragon points. What the hell. My first playthrough as a Renegade resulted in full Renegade and almost an entire bar of Paragon. I'm currently up to Horizon in my second playthrough as a Paragon and I have more than a bar of Paragon and almost zero Renegade. I think that it could just be me whining, so whatever.

What I'm most interested in seeing is how your decision on Legion's loyalty mission plays out. There are essentially no more heretics if you blow them all to hell, or they're reprogammed. I blew them all up and can't wait to see how that affects me later on down the road.

What I'm most interested in seeing is how your decision on Legion's loyalty mission plays out. There are essentially no more heretics if you blow them all to hell, or they're reprogammed. I blew them all up and can't wait to see how that affects me later on down the road.

Yup. Add that to decisions to tell the Quarians to go to war (or not) with the Geth, and I'm pretty interested. I'm hoping by the time ME3 finishes, I rule the entire galaxy in perfect harmony.

Yup. Add that to decisions to tell the Quarians to go to war (or not) with the Geth, and I'm pretty interested. I'm hoping by the time ME3 finishes, I rule the entire galaxy in perfect harmony.

Bring legion with you on Tali's loyalty mission, it will be interesting and you can discuss with them about their plans with the geth...

Yeah, I just finished playthrough 1 at 1 AM last night. I have to say that the "ending" left me feeling a bit hollow. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, as well as the ending battles, but all in all, I was disappointed in the "suicide mission". It seemed like a paint-by-numbers to save the entire crew and your squad. As I played with no guide whatsoever, I fully expected to fail at a lot of things in the playthrough. As it turned out, I completely, 100% succeeded at...everything. Every loyalty mission. Every necessary precaution. At every point (except for one very minor one, where I had mercy on someone without realizing that she was a killer), I did the right thing. Looking back, it soured the experience.

Another annoyance that someone mentioned in another thread was the lack of a central enemy. The entire time, you're waiting to meet this Harbinger who seems to know you well. Not only do you NOT meet him, but in fact, your enemies end up being the incredibly random kind. I didn't play the first game, but it would have been much better to have some single entity in a back-and-forth.

The final story verdict? This game ends up suffering from severe middle-child syndrome. It just doesn't feel very complete. The Collectors were never a particularly compelling enemy (perhaps because I only meet them halfway through the game, and I only meet them over the course of three quests or so). And how about some storyline at the end telling me what became of the characters? For all of Dragon Age's problems, it got this right - you had a compelling bad guy, from beginning to end (no switcheroo, e.g., from Harbinger to random-wannabe-human-reaper), and you had a idea of the purpose and future of each character from your decisions. Instead, I don't really know what my decisions affected. The game seems completely unchanged if I decide to like or hate the Illusive Man, e.g.

Great gameplay, great storytelling (character interactions, e.g., were quite nice), but ultimately lacking in purpose. It has something of a filler feel to it.

The ending of the game is more important to the third game in the series so I understand your middle child feeling. The first game really makes this game a lot better IMO and it is a shame that PS3 owners won't be able to play it on their console.

It honestly feels like sometimes the game tries to push you to Paragon, which I really don't like. For example, the two Illium quests (asari and salarian) only give you Paragon points. What the hell. My first playthrough as a Renegade resulted in full Renegade and almost an entire bar of Paragon. I'm currently up to Horizon in my second playthrough as a Paragon and I have more than a bar of Paragon and almost zero Renegade. I think that it could just be me whining, so whatever.

By the end of a Paragon playthru you will have some Renegade points without trying to get them, I always manage to at least.

Legion's and Tali's loyalty missions should have an impact on the third game. Assuming that the third game is largely gathering allies to attack the Reapers and defend Earth (ME3 trailer if you haven't seen it) you will be out looking for allies all over the place. Allies that you should be able to have with a Paragon playthru: Geth (rewrite), Quarians (Don't go to war), Krogan (Save Wrex), Council Races (Saved the Council), and Rachni (Saved the Queen). Renegade players should have access to: Cerberus (Save the Collector Base), Collector Tech (From Base), and Geth (Controlled from Project Overlord).

The ending of the game is more important to the third game in the series so I understand your middle child feeling. The first game really makes this game a lot better IMO and it is a shame that PS3 owners won't be able to play it on their console.

My friend and I were talking about this same subject and my only real gripe with the story so far, is that even after the epicness of the first two games, we've really accomplished very little against the Reapers. In the first two games we've killed about 1.75 (1 for Sovereign, I'd give the Human Reaper embryo thing a .5, and another .25 for the already dead one that you sent into the Brown Dwarf) and some how in the ME3 we're gonna find a way to hold off that entire fleet of Reapers that's coming for us. I am actually really looking forward to seeing just how Sheppard is gonna pull that one off. Oh well, it just means ME3 will have to be insanely epic.

My friend and I were talking about this same subject and my only real gripe with the story so far, is that even after the epicness of the first two games, we've really accomplished very little against the Reapers. In the first two games we've killed about 1.75 (1 for Sovereign, I'd give the Human Reaper embryo thing a .5, and another .25 for the already dead one that you sent into the Brown Dwarf) and some how in the ME3 we're gonna find a way to hold off that entire fleet of Reapers that's coming for us. I am actually really looking forward to seeing just how Sheppard is gonna pull that one off. Oh well, it just means ME3 will have to be insanely epic.

I know exactly how you feel. We've worked extremely hard to stop these little fronts and now we have thousands of the damn things coming at us at the same time. I just wonder how in the hell Shepard will be able to pull it off.

Pretty sure it'll be like Dragon Age Origins: if you saved the Rachni Queen and reprogrammed the Geth heretics instead of killing them, you'll have them help you fight the Reapers like having the Golems and others (don't remember who as it was a while ago) help you fight the Darkspawn Demon. Otherwise, I think you'll just have less support.

You know what? I think they'll have you do the same trophy as in Dragon Age Origins: try to keep the majority of the allies alive by the time you reach the final boss. It's kinda like the "No One Left Behind" trophy.

I expect Bioware to try and rip our hearts out with some choices in the third one...maybe like picking between your romance option from ME1 and ME2 and not just a simple choice, I mean, one lives, one dies type choice. Just truely gut-wrenching decisions.

I'm anxious to see how the choices made will play out...appearently some of the smaller choices may have the biggest effect.

And am I the only one who expects the Illusive Man to become an antagonist in the third game? I wouldn't be surprised if we discover his end game is similar to Saren's. Where Saren believed working with the Reaper would save the galaxy, the Illusive Douche may be trying to control the Reapers to ensure humanity (and Cerberus) is the superior race in the galaxy and no one can threaten it. The third game will need a central villain and I think he's the perfect fit.

All I know is that ME3 better allow for a happy ending, something like the Reapers defeated and my Shepard gets to live in peace with Tali for the rest of their days...no Dragon Age shit with time Bioware!

Edited by Steel739