Challenge of the Gods walkthrough as per Brady guide

lowerclassbrats

Tips to get gold

Arena One

Enemies Present: Shield Soldiers x's 8

Suggested Attacks: Grab

Kratos has a limited amount of time to defeat 8 shielded soldiers by knocking them off the platform. You lose if Kratos dies, time runs out, or if any of the shielded soldiers are slain during regular combat.

Use the following tactic and you should have no problems. Run up to the shielded soldiers and grab them. They're immune to normal grab attacks as long as they still have their shields. However, grab pushes the enemies backward. You see where this is going? Grab and then push the shield soldiers off the platform.

Arena Two

Enemies Present:Undead Archers, Armored Soldiers, Shield Soldiers, Harpies

Suggested Attacks: Grab + Square, Lance of furies + L1 + Circle (while airborne)

You start in the bottom right portion of the arena and the goal is to eliminate all of the undead archers and armored/shielded soldiers. Kill targets as quickly as possible . Archers are easily dispensed by using the square button.

The platforms on the corners are the ones with soldiers. Run into the middle of these small groups and use area of effect attacks to kill them. Lance of furies is also good due to it's high damage and shield breaking ability.

Kratos has access to magic so use armies of hades once during this run. Pick one of the corner platforms and use it just before you reach it.

Arena Three

Enemies Present: Clay Pots

Suggested Attacks: Lance of Furies L1 + Circle

The pots are divide quite evenly around a circle. Visually picture the circle as four even pieces. Your current position is in between two quadrants at the bottom of the circle. Walk left into the heart of the bottom -left quadrant and use a grounded lance of furies to break everything nearby.

Repeat the process, but for the few that you miss quickly destroy them with a light attack and move on. There is only enough time allowed for a few misses.

Arena Four

Enemies Present: Armored Soldiers (lots), Minotaurs x4

Suggested Attacks: Light Attacks, Medusa's gaze

The goal is to defeat the minotaurs without killing any of the armored soldiers. Long combos are a no-no, instead use light attacks. Hit hit and roll away it the best tactic to win this round. You may also find some success using Medusa's gaze on a minotaur or two.

Arena Five

Enemies Present: Undead Soldiers

Suggested Attacks: Ballista N/A

The Undead Soldiers are on the outside portion of the circle. If you target them properly , it's impossible to hit a human by mistake. Watch the rotation of the undead soldiers on the outer circle. Press R2 to grab the ballista and when the soldiers reach the missing chunk in the platform between the 1 and 2 o' clock position pull back. By the time the enemy reaches the 6 six o'clock position your projectile should be launched and hitting its target. Practice your timing rinse and repeat.

Edited by lowerclassbrats

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arena Six

Enemies Present: Undead Archers x8

Suggested Attacks Hermes Rush (while airborne hold R1)

You have approximately six jumps between moving discs and a dearth of time. If you block arrows for more than a moment you will most likely lose. The key is to be very aggressive and use the Hermes rush attack while leaping toward the undead archers. You wont need to target the enemies exactly, rather land in their general area to get the one hit kill.

At the end there is a platform with four archers but don't bother with them. Jump to their area in between their volleys and roll into the center to complete the challenge. Note: Because the archers are a bit erratic with their aim, luck does play a part in this challenge.

Arena Seven

Enemies Present: Minotaurs x2, Armored Soldiers (lots)

Suggested Attacks: Plume of Prometheus(square, square, triangle), Medusa's Gaze (at the end of the challenge if/when only minotaurs are left), evasion/roll away, and well timed blocks.

This challenge is the hardest in my humble opinion in that you cannot take a hit, that's right not one solitary strike. Avoid extended combos, avoid masses of enemies and try to keep your back to the outer edge of the platform as to keep enemies from attacking you from all sides. Feed your foes a steady diet of square, square, triangle and be sure to hold L1 if you see anyone winding up to hit you with a sword.

Blocking is not fool proof as shockwaves cannot be blocked, try to roll away from the masses. You must keep moving! . If at the end you have only minotaurs left use Medusa's gaze from a distance to freeze them and use square, square, triangle to break them into rubble.

Arena Eight

Enemies Present: Gorgons (four @ a time), Armored Soldiers (lots)

Suggested Attacks: Lance of Furies (L1 + circle while airborne)

The main threat in this stage is being turned to stone. Leap into the air above enemies and use (L1 + circle) liberally/aggressively. The key is to keep hammering the Gorgons so they do not have a chance to use Medusa's gaze. Lure the enemies to the edges of the platform then use lance of furies to bounce them off. Be sure to roll away form gorgon's when emitting Medusa's gaze.

Arena Nine

Enemies Present: Cyclops x's 4, and Satyrs x's 2

Suggested Attacks: Plume of Prometheus (square,square,triangle) and Spirit of Hercules (Triangle x's 3)

You must kill four cyclops but the satyrs are the real problem. Stay at medium range and use triangle x's 3 or square, square, triangle to attack your targets. Try to hit the satyrs with the early blows of your combo then end it on the cyclops. You will gain some health every time a cyclops dies so this will make this challenge a bit easier.

Arena Ten

Enemies Present: Satyrs (lots), Cerberus Pups (lots)

Suggested Attacks: Apollo's Ascension (L1 + X) and Apollo's Offensive (while airborne L1 + X)

There is not much to this challenge as long as you use the attacks above and only the attacks above. Jump from your starting platform to the center of your enemy's, while in the air hold L1 + X. Use a combination of the Apollo's ascension and offensive ad nauseam whilst maintaining the center of the platform. When the platform in the north lowers enough from the mounting body count, simply jump over and land on it to complete the challenge of the gods.

Arena 10 tip from Bleeds

"just this minute found a shit easy way to beat level 10 with no special, trust me i had tried everything.i found out that the best way by far was square, hold or square, square hold BUT the hardest time to pull this off is at the start, it takes a good few goes to not fall off at the start because the combo takes a few seconds before it kicks in and knocks everything off the ledge, anyway lets assume you have pulled it off as soon as you land on the ledge and it has knocked everyone off just start the combo again and by the time the last bit kicks in it can knock them all off again, repeat till you do the challenge, somethings to watch out for if it doesnt knock a dude off because they block just start up the combo again and try and walk away from them(so they cant hit you) and just before end of the combo turn and face them.seriously i tryed all other methods for a good hour then figured out this and done it within about 5 minutes."

Tip from Sui99

"i just solved the challenge (without rage of god...) thx to this guide and want to add something which was crucial at least for me:

while doing your L1 + X Combos they sometimes break and you get dangerously pushed towards the edges (at least that happened to me quite often). When that happened I did a Achilles Flip (Right Stick + X) to get away and continue the combo.

THAT was the last piece of the puzzle for me, the rest was practice and getting a lucky try. I guess the challenge is way easier if Rage of Gods is available.

The square, hold square combo didnt work for me because it was too slow. I got the timing down for a few rounds and could see how easy this method can be but as i said FOR ME it didnt work (i was too stupid to keep it going the whole time)

Long story short:

use (Right Stick + X) in addition to L1 + X if you are having trouble"

Guide complete, hope it helps you as much as it did me. Feel free to add any additional tips below.

Posted now hope it helps, any questions I'll try to assist.

I can't stay on the damn platform, if I dont get knocked off I end up finishing the combo off platform. Most of the time I get off like 5 botton presses b4 getting knocked off, sometimes I get to hit L1+X once then b4 I recover to be able to do anything else im alreayd hit and off the edge, getting ready to give up and just move on to playing GOWII

Edited by Tparsons5150

I can't stay on the damn platform, if I dont get knocked off I end up finishing the combo off platform. getting ready to give up and just move on to playing GOWII
you've come this far, don't quit. Check the trophy guide. It has video's which allow you to see it done. Edited by lowerclassbrats

Yep one platform only. Try taking a 15 min break and coming back to it.

took a 1hr break for food, then another 30mins one lol, This ones gonna be Luck pure and simple if I ever get it.

EDIT: OMFG I Fianlly did it!!!! Been doing the challanges non stop since 10:45am now 8:39 pm (minus about 1hr 30mins worth of Breaks) Now for a few years of therapy.

Not looking forward to the GOWII ones,.

Edited by Tparsons5150

just this minute found a shit easy way to beat level 10 with no special, trust me i had tried everything.i found out that the best way by far was square, hold or square, square hold BUT the hardest time to pull this off is at the start, it takes a good few goes to not fall off at the start because the combo takes a few seconds before it kicks in and knocks everything off the ledge, anyway lets assume you have pulled it off as soon as you land on the ledge and it has knocked everyone off just start the combo again and by the time the last bit kicks in it can knock them all off again, repeat till you do the challenge, somethings to watch out for if it doesnt knock a dude off because they block just start up the combo again and try and walk away from them(so they cant hit you) and just before end of the combo turn and face them.seriously i tryed all other methods for a good hour then figured out this and done it within about 5 minutes.

good luck.

thanks for the hints they have helped me alot.

i just solved the challenge (without rage of god...) thx to this guide and want to add something which was crucial at least for me:

while doing your L1 + X Combos they sometimes break and you get dangerously pushed towards the edges (at least that happened to me quite often). When that happened I did a Achilles Flip (Right Stick + X) to get away and continue the combo.

THAT was the last piece of the puzzle for me, the rest was practice and getting a lucky try. I guess the challenge is way easier if Rage of Gods is available.

The square, hold square combo didnt work for me because it was too slow. I got the timing down for a few rounds and could see how easy this method can be but as i said FOR ME it didnt work (i was too stupid to keep it going the whole time)

Long story short:

use (Right Stick + X) in addition to L1 + X if you are having trouble

Yes these have to be done in one playthrough... if you get through 9 and quit before completing 10, you have to start over at 1. The early ones aren't too difficult, but it does suck that it doesn't remember how far you got.

I have to agree with "bleeds" on challenge 10. I was totally stuck until I used the square + hold square attack. It is a little tricky getting it started, but once you get the rythym, the platform rises incredibly fast. Both satyrs never seemed to go off the platform together for me, so I then tried going after one at a time. After one flew off the platform, I'd target the other while the next one was popping out of the ground. As soon as it was fully out, the other satyr was flying off the platform so I just kept going back and forth between the satyrs. The cerberus pups don't even come into play with this method.

Glad I'm not the only one having issues with Challenge 10 :mad: With the exception of 6 which can be tricky and 8 which is quite long and therefore frustrating if you die a silly death towards the end, the rest of the challenges are really easy. What's more annoying is that every video on youtube makes it look really easy ARRRGGHH.

Will follow your tips tonight and hope for the best.

I just finished Challenge of the Gods...and OH MY GOD; Challenge 10 was pissing me off too. :rant:

Anyway, after countless failed attempts with the L1+X (launch) and then L1+X (air) repeat; or use roll+X then L1+X (air) in danger situations strategy -- I switched to bleeds' method (Square, HOLD Square) and got it after a few tries.

When I was trying the L1+X method, like many of you I died over and over due to stupid stuff. (i.e. landing from the air attack and during my recovery animation, being tossed off the side by the satyr's annoying throw move or just getting hit in the air and knocked off the platform over and over again)

Here's what I did:

When beginning the challenge I jumped to the far right side of the enemy platform to create as much distance as possible between me and the enemies. Then I began my combo immediately upon landing trying to stun as many dogs in the process -- they WILL interrupt you if you're not careful. I always tried to go for a Square, Square, Square, HOLD Square combo as it seemed to work best; probably because there are more quick hits at the beginning to stun enemies allowing you more time to start up the final SWOOP attack that knocks everyone off. However, sometimes you get in a pinch and just want to go for it so mixing in Square, HOLD or Square, Square, HOLD works too. Just use your judgment.

If I knocked off BOTH satyrs:

I would pause for a 2 count and then start the combo again (Square, Square, Square, HOLD Square). That usually gave the NEW satyrs time to spawn AND Become vulnerable; they are invincible until after they spawn and enter an idle state. (if you "miss" them with your swoop attack while they're invincible you'll be extremely vulnerable)

If I only knocked off ONE satyr:

I would aim for the other satyr and do a quicker Square, Square, HOLD combo to try and get that one off in enough time to react to the next spawning satyr.

If I got in a situation where my rhythm was broken and both satyrs were back on the platform and I was NOT already mid-combo, I would spam L1 looking for a parry and counter attack with Square which will ALSO knock enemies away from you. (make sure to release L1 before you press Square though, the L1+Square helicopter attack will leave you vulnerable as well)

Anyway, after a few practice attempts I was able to get a pretty good rhythm going and using the counter attack strategically when I was in trouble did the trick.

I found the method to be best because it keeps your feet planted and lessens the chances of you being bounced around or knocked off the platform.

Sorry for the long post; I hope it was helpful! :bow:

I only have the time-attack trophy left until platinum. Good luck everyone!