PS3 PS+ Trial Trophies - how to avoid them?

Deusfaux

So there are some trials of games I'd like to play (that don't have demos on 360 or PC), however I don't want permanent trophy entries on my profile - which apparently ARE created by these trials.

So an idea I found in another thread was to simply not sync trophy data (by not viewing trophies) after playing the trials.

Then to delete the profile locally from the PS3, and redownload it afterwards. The locally stored trophy data will be deleted before ever having been synced.

Clean trophy list stays clean.

However - what I'm trying to determine is what exactly is lost / what are the costs to deleting a profile and redownloading it?

Save data, I understand, will be gone. Can that be backed up and restored with a USB stick?

And PSN store content? Will it be deleted or stay and merely be unusable until the profile is redownloaded?

Would only content that costs money be affected?

I'm thinking the pain of redownloading 10,000 pieces of DLC would be worse than finding alternative ways of trialing these games...

Edited by Deusfaux

So there are some trials of games I'd like to play (that don't have demos on 360 or PC), however I don't want permanent trophy entries on my profile - which apparently ARE created by these trials.

So an idea I found in another thread was to simply not sync trophy data (by not viewing trophies) after playing the trials.

Then to delete the profile locally from the PS3, and redownload it afterwards. The locally stored trophy data will be deleted before ever having been synced.

Clean trophy list stays clean.

However - what I'm trying to determine is what exactly is lost / what are the costs to deleting a profile and redownloading it?

Save data, I understand, will be gone. Can that be backed up and restored with a USB stick?

And PSN store content? Will it be deleted or stay and merely be unusable until the profile is redownloaded?

Would only content that costs money be affected?

I'm thinking the pain of redownloading 10,000 pieces of DLC would be worse than finding alternative ways of trialing these games...

Best way to avoid those trial trophies on your main profile/keep all your data (some of your games might be copy protected, so you'll lose those), is to create a sub-account and play those trial games on your sub-account.

If I am not mistaken the trial versions, just like PSN games install straight onto your XMB to be played on any account on your PS3? Just download the trial and play it on a sub-account. No messing around with deleting/re-installing your account and losing any copy protected saves.

As for your other question, your bought PSN account content will stay on the XMB. However if you have PS Plus on the account you're talking about and have downloaded free games then I think those games do get deleted until you re-create your account/download those games again.

Edited by JHChiBulls

Thought of that and it's not true. Can only play 1 hour trials with the account that had the PS+ and downloaded it.

The game won't even show in the list for other accounts.

And of course I can't obtain those trials for alt accounts without spending money to sign up for PS+

edit: also I'm not a PS+ subscriber and there's nothing associated with that I'm concerned about losing.

merely whether or not I have to download purchased PSN games, dlc, etc all over again

Edited by Deusfaux

Thought of that and it's not true. Can only play 1 hour trials with the account that had the PS+ and downloaded it.

The game won't even show in the list for other accounts.

And of course I can't obtain those trials for alt accounts without spending money to sign up for PS+

Oh, I see. Then yes, I believe your best option is to delete the account. Hopefully someone has a better solution.

Good luck. :)

right. well I'm not terribly concerned with what others see, but what I see. And so I'd be stuck with them permanently there, right?

As in, they still get synced permanently to the account, just I'm the only one that would be able to see them?

Apparently I could use a large enough external HDD with the System Settings Backup Utility to make faster work of reacquiring downloaded PSN content in the event any of it is deleted?

NEW question - Where would the new user profile appear in the list at the leftmost of the XMB? It appears to me they are in chronologically created order. Would it appear forever at the bottom of the list? Can the list be re-ordered?

Edited by Johnny Bananas
merge; please use the edit button instead of double posting

There is (or at least was) a way to get rid of them and any yet unsync'ed trophies. You could get a filebrowser for the PS3 and with some hassle locate the game's trophy-folder and delete it. I'm not sure if it is still possible or if it even required a jailbreak.

NEW question - Where would the new user profile appear in the list at the leftmost of the XMB? It appears to me they are in chronologically created order. Would it appear forever at the bottom of the list? Can the list be re-ordered?

Delete the accounts in between and recreate them :p

Best way to avoid those trial trophies on your main profile/keep all your data (some of your games might be copy protected, so you'll lose those), is to create a sub-account and play those trial games on your sub-account.

It's way easier.I'll start doing it when I get a ps+ freebie. I have too many 0% already.

right. well I'm not terribly concerned with what others see, but what I see. And so I'd be stuck with them permanently there, right?

As in, they still get synced permanently to the account, just I'm the only one that would be able to see them?

No, they never will sync, you can perform the synchronization how many times you want, if you ever delete your PS3 user, those trophies are gone forever.

I don't think the list can be re-ordered, unless you delete the other users so this new account would move up

Edited by DarkMaizena

I know :psn+: trials can be used on alternate accounts. However you have to "activate" it with the main account first. You can quit the game before the list installs, and then use it on the alternate. However the clock starts ticking as soon as its activated. I know this works because I did it for a multi-player boost with a party :D

The trophies won't sync to your profile until you buy the full version. You'll notice the they will have a bubble around each trophy designating they will not sync until you purchase the full game. If you want it off your list, obviously it would require removing the account.

There is (or at least was) a way to get rid of them and any yet unsync'ed trophies. You could get a filebrowser for the PS3 and with some hassle locate the game's trophy-folder and delete it. I'm not sure if it is still possible or if it even required a jailbreak.

Delete the accounts in between and recreate them :p

Unfortunately not an option as 1 of the users is currently no longer living here and I wouldn't be able to recover the account and the (small) amount of content it permits on my console.

What's a PS+ freebie? What the cheapest / shortest way of getting PS+?

I know :psn+: trials can be used on alternate accounts. However you have to "activate" it with the main account first. You can quit the game before the list installs, and then use it on the alternate. However the clock starts ticking as soon as its activated. I know this works because I did it for a multi-player boost with a party :D

I can confirm quitting the game before the list installs worked - as I saw the message about it doing that for one trial, then I quit and nothing was ever on my trophy list...

But I didn't try that trial again with an alt account, so I'll give this a shot.

Sounds a bit risky, but it's the easiest sounding solution so far.

What's a PS+ freebie? What the cheapest / shortest way of getting PS+?

Check the 3rd(?) to last page of the PS Plus thread, there was a offer for an one-month plus trial posted.

If you look a bit around the net, you will find some of these.

But I didn't try that trial again with an alt account, so I'll give this a shot.

The Trials are 1h real time from the activation. Not game time.

Just FYI

Check the 3rd(?) to last page of the PS Plus thread, there was a offer for an one-month plus trial posted.

If you look a bit around the net, you will find some of these.

The Trials are 1h real time from the activation. Not game time.

Just FYI

Aye. A full hour is typically more than most traditional demos last anyways, so that's plenty. I just want to get a feel for these games, and see the basic mechanics in action.