Increased Character Limit for Social Group Posts

mjc0961

Yeah, just a quick suggestion here. Any chance we could bump up the character limit in social groups? 1,000 characters is actually pretty easy to fill up. Even a tiny bump, to something like 1,500, would be much appreciated as many times I see "You have 1,132 characters, please reduce it to 1,000".

And that is extremely annoying, as you either have to cut out part of your message, or try to post in it two, which would be alright except that you have to wait 30 seconds in between social group posts. So, post the first part, paste the second part into the post box, wait wait wait wait wait, and finally get the second half of the message. Again, even the smallest increase to the limit would be most helpful in alleviating this. (thanks to Sammy for reminding me of the annoying 30 second post limit)

Edited by mjc0961
I blame spell check for that stupid error, it usually picks the wrong word >_>

I think that with visitor messages and social groups they were intended for small talk and quick chatting between members whilst the actual forums is for the real posting. I have never actually exceeded the amount on social groups but I can see why some people want the amount to be increased, even by a small amount.

Did all you colored-name people die off or something?

Nah we're still alive mate. :p

These sort of topics can only be answered by an admin/programmer rather than any other staff member. We cannot speak for them on the feasibility or possiblity of implementing these kind of improvements/features.

Yeah...but something like increasing the character limit shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes (if you know where to go in the ACP that is). Hope an admin sees this asap. =O

But yeah I want the character limit to increase too. I keep going over the limit there and there therefore forcing me to double post (and I had to wait another 30 seconds before I can double post...)

Edited by StarlightSammy

Yeah...but something like increasing the character limit shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes (if you know where to go in the ACP that is). Hope an admin sees this asap. =O

But yeah I want the character limit to increase too. I keep going over the limit there and there therefore forcing me to double post (and I had to wait another 30 seconds before I can double post...)

Urgh, I forgot about that part when I made this thread, but yeah. That's super annoying. You either cut your message short, or wait 30 seconds before you can post the rest of it.

I'll add that to my opening so when someone important comes by, they see that part right away as well. Thanks Sammy. :)

*shrugs* No idea. I have to ask. Since the time I can get a hold of RX is limited, I have to prioritize what I can ask about. I didn't get a chance to last time because of other more pressing matters *cough* trophy cards *cough*.
Certainly understandable. If the answer isn't a flat-out no, the most I'll ask for is a status update now and then just to make sure it hasn't been forgotten, and as that's what this is, I for one am satisfied. :)

• 1 year later...

Any chance to get a boost on character limits in the social group threads? It's been about a year since this was mentioned. It doesn't have to be 10k, like the main forum, but boosting it to 5k like we have for PM's would be appreciated.

The community is growing and more and more groups are being created.

The community is growing and more and more groups are being created.
Groups are becoming more and more specialized too. It's really hard to share tips about things like video editing with people when you only have 1,000 characters to work with.

It's been a while too, surely by now trophy cards aren't as pressing as we all know that Sony broke them on us last year. :p

P.S. If anyone has an objection to bumping, please feel free to read this quote from the forum rules and do what it says instead of derailing the thread. Thanks.

4.0 Playing Mod

• Do not play Moderator. For example, please do not reply to a post with "This thread will be locked".
  • Use the REPORT button to report offensive posts and threads. The REPORT button/link has multiple uses. It can also be used to report Boosting, Visitor Messages, Private Messages, or to request a thread lock.
  • See: Proper Use of the Report Button
  • If you are in doubt about whether to report an incident or not, please report it. You won't get into trouble.
  • Please avoid using the :locked: smiley. This smiley is meant for staff use.
Edited by mjc0961

Groups are becoming more and more specialized too. It's really hard to share tips about things like video editing with people when you only have 1,000 characters to work with.

This is exactly the reason why I support this, we got plenty of active activity going on in our Trophy Guide Video Creators group. But having to use two posts back-to-back to convey advice is surely not the most optimal way to communicate things.

I support this. Even though i don't use Social Groups that often, the limitations suck. It would be pretty simple to implement this as well.
We can only hope, anyway. As long as it's just a simple admin CP setting and not some old add-on that's no longer supported because the vB people forgot to include the feature when they were making the forum. :whistle:

This is definitely something worth asking for. I never understood why social group areas have such limitations even with some normal code features and length. Even with posting pictures they are very limited compared. Would be nice to get at least a little more length to a post. ;)

Or if not to get a quote or boost to the limit, at least a notifcation of how many remaining characters you have left to be known prior to trying to post it, would be nice if there was some sort of indicator so you can track how many characters you have left before having to retype your whole paragraph.

This would be a fantastic idea too! Especially in the forum so that when a person is making a guide they know where they are at with a limit. I have had so many juggling acts with the limits while making guides that this alone can become one of the biggest time consumers. You allow for space then you change something but you don't know how much space you have left. You want to move or improve but have to worry about space.

This would be a fantastic idea too! Especially in the forum so that when a person is making a guide they know where they are at with a limit. I have had so many juggling acts with the limits while making guides that this alone can become one of the biggest time consumers. You allow for space then you change something but you don't know how much space you have left. You want to move or improve but have to worry about space.
I mentioned that ages ago, actually. I'd still like to see it, too.