Member of the Month: Multiple Times?

Cauchy

While I don't really expect to ever deserve this, I'd still like to know if the possibility is there? So, are users limited to being honored only once, or is it possible to get the title multiple times? Personally, I think the title should only be given out once. There are so many quality members here, that I'd hate to see them get overlooked. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a Member of the Year chosen from the various member of the months. I wouldn't mind being the member of the year either. :whistle:

I think the whole member of the <xxx> thing is a bunch of overrated crap, so my opinion wouldn't exactly walk in your alley.

Either way, in your shoes, I don't think anyone should be allowed to win it twice. Just because it would be more fair to let others win as well. However, saying all this makes me cringe, because I think any kind of award for that kind of stuff is a bunch of blah, lol.

Just to reiterate part of what Aidan said, anyone that gets MoM won't be in consideration for at least a year after they get the award. That being said, no one was ever named MoM twice on x360a, so it would have to be a VERY unique case if it were to happen. There are plenty of deserving members around and they should get recognition before you or I (not that I'm going to win it again, because I can't anymore) win it a second time.

As Member of the Year, we considered having year end awards for members, but didn't do it because of the problems it would create. There would be too much "How come this person got it and not that person". While MoY is nice in theory, even taking from just the MoM's it could create problems. Would Cauchy be anymore of MoY deserving than platinum, chuck, FARAZ, Yoshi, or Feb.'s MoM? That's a question I don't really want to have to answer.

*Moving to Feedback*

I've always wondered if there was ever going to be any type of Member of the Year award but the answer has been given in that regard, lol. From my perspective, the only way I would ever agree to a current Member of the Month recipient obtaining the title twice would be if there were absolutely no other site members even coming close to be deserving of it for the first time. And that, I'm afraid, would be a long-shot as there are lots and lots of active and deserving good people here who are worthy of the trophy (in my eyes anyway).

And besides, implementing a Member of the Year award would mean the Staff have to come up with yet another site trophy tile, lol.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Staff would have to also add a new site trophy for the existing MoM site award to add distinction to someone attaining the recognition twice. I'm guessing the same design just different color. But I'm speculating way out of bounds here, lol.

Edited by Yoshi_Girl

I was thinking about making a thread about this so I'll post my view on it. I think it's time we allow members to rewin the award. If they truly are the member of the month and who the staff would have chosen they should not just not choose the person because they've already won the award. The argument is it's not fair? I think it would be more unfair to not allow someone to win it just because they've already won it. Yea I know the site wants to recognize other members who deserve it also but if a former MoM has a great month then I think that person should be allowed to get the honor again.

... However, saying all this makes me cringe, because I think any kind of award for that kind of stuff is a bunch of blah, lol.

I don't agree with this part. It felt really nice being recognized as member of the month and I think others should be given that opportunity, especially if their a solid member of the community. I find this odd coming from you though. I always thought you felt that people should get acknowledged for their labors.

I was thinking about making a thread about this so I'll post my view on it. I think it's time we allow members to rewin the award. If they truly are the member of the month and who the staff would have chosen they should not just not choose the person because they've already won the award. The argument is it's not fair? I think it would be more unfair to not allow someone to win it just because they've already won it. Yea I know the site wants to recognize other members who deserve it also but if a former MoM has a great month then I think that person should be allowed to get the honor again.

I agree somewhat if a former MoM gets it again then a new MoM should be annouced along with the reinstated MoM

I was unsure about the rules on this also. I like the fact it can be re-earned after a year has passed, though.

Also, I think it's a shame that we had no end of year awards, I feel we really missed an opportunity with that one. Perhaps awards for PS3T's anniversary this June? They don't have to be too serious, that way we don't have any "But I'm more deserving than X!" - all awards can be in good fun..?

I doubt I'll ever get one but it is good to know that deserving members have the ability to get a second MOM award after a year. I think that is the best way to do it because it creates an environment where more people may be recognized but also allows for those that continuously go above and beyond, the opportunity to win multiple times.

*whispers to Fifty*

We're staff members, we're not eligible.

This was exactly my point. Good luck winning again Cauchy. :p

How about having 2 runner ups per month too. Give the award/interview to one person and name the other two. That way a new person can be given the award each month, and people that didn't quite make it, or have had the award before can get named again.

We have 'runner ups' in the Staff Boards. We don't call them that, but we do keep an unofficial list of nominees that may carry-over from one month to the next. Posting them publicly would just cause problems. "I've been runner up 3 months in a row! When is it my turn to win M.O.M.? This is bull$hit!". To add to that, members can fall off the 'nominee' list due to inactivity, or numerous reasons. How would you feel being awarded runner-up, only to not win M.O.M. and fall off the runners-up list?

I was unsure about the rules on this also. I like the fact it can be re-earned after a year has passed, though.

Also, I think it's a shame that we had no end of year awards, I feel we really missed an opportunity with that one. Perhaps awards for PS3T's anniversary this June? They don't have to be too serious, that way we don't have any "But I'm more deserving than X!" - all awards can be in good fun..?

I like the fact that it can be re-earned after a year as well. Will it be? That is yet to be seen.

Year end awards were brought up by mendel_skimmel in late November. We discuss award categories and even some possible nominees. However, at the time, we were busy prepping for a few things (some of these might jog your memory): December's M.O.M., PS3T's 1st Staff Xmas Card, our 1st TSL, our 1st Staff Challenge (which is still not finished), not to mention the Mystery/News Feed. Year end awards were discussed, but in the end something had to be dropped from the list.

Year End Awards (YEA) are still a possibility, just not right now. Lets finish up a year of M.O.M. awards first. Oh, and on a personal note, I'd prefer YEA to happen in June or July not in December. I'm normally not around much at Christmas time.

Edited by FiftyQuid

I like the fact that it can be re-earned after a year as well. Will it be? That is yet to be seen.

Yeah, I think it will give past winners the motivation to aim for the award again, if that makes sense..

Year end awards were brought up by mendel_skimmel in late November. We discuss award categories and even some possible nominees. However, at the time, we were busy prepping for a few things (some of these might jog your memory): December's M.O.M., PS3T's 1st Staff Xmas Card, our 1st TSL, our 1st Staff Challenge (which is still not finished), not to mention the Mystery/News Feed. Year end awards were discussed, but in the end something had to be dropped from the list.

Year End Awards (YEA) are still a possibility, just not right now. Lets finish up a year of M.O.M. awards first. Oh, and on a personal note, I'd prefer YEA to happen in June or July not in December. I'm normally not around much at Christmas time.

I don't remember when I asked about it, but I was told it was happening. This was before all the Mystery stuff started though, and I understand a lot of other stuff was happening in December, too.

I still think we should have the awards, just on the sites birthday (June 29th, If I remember correctly) - just for a bit of fun.

If you're more likely to be around in June/July too, then that seems like a better time to have them, especially since many people become inactive in the last half of December.

I doubt I'll ever get one but it is good to know that deserving members have the ability to get a second MOM award after a year. I think that is the best way to do it because it creates an environment where more people may be recognized but also allows for those that continuously go above and beyond, the opportunity to win multiple times.

Everyone has a fair shot at being nominated for Member of the Month. The most unexpected things can happen that you never saw coming (this was the case with me). As long as you are not only an active member but a dedicated and contributing one, you have a good chance I would think.

I'm not exactly familiar on the detailed criteria in which MoM contenders are selected but making a difference on this site can put the spotlight on you.

This may not make any sense but it seems you're more likely to gain consideration for the award if you don't actually try to earn it. Just being yourself and genuinely plugging into the way of things would produce more authentic results than if one were to superficially overdo it just to try and get selected.

I hope I didn't confuse you, lol. :p

I don't remember when I asked about it, but I was told it was happening. This was before all the Mystery stuff started though, and I understand a lot of other stuff was happening in December, too.

I still think we should have the awards, just on the sites birthday (June 29th, If I remember correctly) - just for a bit of fun.

If you're more likely to be around in June/July too, then that seems like a better time to have them, especially since many people become inactive in the last half of December.

There hasn't been any chatter in the Staff Boards about it since last year. The TSL has kind of taken up a lot of our time. There are games to play! :dance:

I'm sure the discussion will start up again soon. I know when things are happening about a week before you guys do. Actually, sometimes I know a week after you guys. :pout:

I don't agree with this part. It felt really nice being recognized as member of the month and I think others should be given that opportunity, especially if their a solid member of the community. I find this odd coming from you though. I always thought you felt that people should get acknowledged for their labors.

Yeah, I just think awards are silly and somewhat childish. I don't know. Like my A+ award. It's nice, and I appreciate the effort. However, like I said, seeing a reply that someone actually fixed their YLOD using my methods means a lot more to me than some weirdo award. It's not as tangible.

I've never liked Employee of the Month, Member of the Month, Tool of the Month, etc. I always roll my eyes at it, and find it rather silly. I can't help but think of Gold Stars that my 6 year old cousin earns in school every week.

Edited by Aidan

Just on Parker's point, although a little off-topic...

The Year End Awards in terms of forum members won't be occuring. As Fifty says it was discussed as staff following on from a open forum discussion, Webb along with the rest of the staff eventually decided against it.

Now that's cleared up, let's keep this on-topic from this point.

Those are the Trophy Awards and they are coming in a few months. That has nothing to do with member awards.

Yeah, I just think awards are silly and somewhat childish. I don't know. Like my A+ award. It's nice, and I appreciate the effort. However, like I said, seeing a reply that someone actually fixed their YLOD using my methods means a lot more to me than some weirdo award. It's not as tangible.

I've never liked Employee of the Month, Member of the Month, Tool of the Month, etc. I always roll my eyes at it, and find it rather silly. I can't help but think of Gold Stars that my 6 year old cousin earns in school every week.

What's wrong with prolonging the glory days? Shit I play video games and collect trophies like it's my job, I may as well get these Gold Stars, of which you speak, too. :p

Like my A+ award. It's nice, and I appreciate the effort. However, like I said, seeing a reply that someone actually fixed their YLOD using my methods means a lot more to me than some weirdo award. It's not as tangible.
Aidan, that A+ award looks good on you. It's just a token of our gratitude, and a symbol of our appreciation. Like you said, it means more to you when someone is able to fix their YLOD using your methods. Everyone likes to see that their hard work has paid off. This is our way of showing you that recognition. M.O.M. is another way.

Aidan, that A+ award looks good on you. It's just a token of our gratitude, and a symbol of our appreciation. Like you said, it means more to you when someone is able to fix their YLOD using your methods. Everyone likes to see that their hard work has paid off. This is our way of showing you that recognition. M.O.M. is another way.

Which is why I said I appreciate it, and I fully understand its purpose and concept. However, I wouldn't have felt any less appreciated/worthy/accomplished had I never received any award.