Send a PM to new members

parker

Should new members be sent a PM automatically?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should new members be sent a PM automatically?

• Yes, send new members a PM automatically.
    • No, do not send new members a PM automatically.

Just another little idea I have thought of..

How about every time a user signs up they are automatically sent a PM?

The PM can include:

• A welcome message
  • Link to the User CP
  • Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (Example: How do I change my avatar?)
  • Links to the submit forum and a link to how submit a guide

They are just a few ideas. The PM can contain anything, it is the staff's descression what goes into the PM.

It couldn't be easier to implement either, it's a simple vBulletin plugin, and it takes minutes to set up.

What d'ya think?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i agree completely with this idea. Link them to things like the signatures and you thread and like parker said the how to submit threads. That would also be a great time to go over some rules like no taking guides and things of that nature. If i remember correctly though someone said Webb would have to send them all personally or something like that though it can't be automatic or something. I may be wrong though.

Yes i agree completely with this idea. Link them to things like the signatures and you thread and like parker said the how to submit threads. That would also be a great time to go over some rules like no taking guides and things of that nature. If i remember correctly though someone said Webb would have to send them all personally or something like that though it can't be automatic or something. I may be wrong though.

They can definately be sent automatically, I have run vBulletin forums before, and used this plugin.

So far, so good - who will be the first to shoot it down? ;)

@Lucas: The welcome email is just the one to activate your account I think .. This would be a PM and tell the user all the basics.

Yes man but the e-mail they send to you is a welcome message too :) Ok I misunderstood it. You're talking about the PM and I'm talking about the e-mail. New members should receive the PM too. The PM should include the welcome message, the recommended links and the basics.

Edited by lucas77

I can only comment for myself, but i like to explore new sites on my own so I would say no.

I dont think new members(interested in the community) come to the site making new threads about boosting.. thoose people just come to the site look for boosting a never return, So that would not really change much. You can tell them a thousand times and they still do it.

I voted no just to be an arse, but I actually think it is a great idea.

Nice one Parker. Yes this should be used. Especially if they are told to use the boosting threads because the amount of times I have to give them the links.

Side note: I saw you had voted no fifty, and was shocked. :eek: But now I have seen your comment. :D

But Tropikal actually wanted to vote no. He had a reason to vote no. He supplied his reason. So not only did your attempt to be the first and only to vote 'No' fail, you looked stupid doing it.

A perfect time to bust out one of my proposed new smilies. http://www.derekandlana.com/forum/Smileys/default/weep.gif

I feel shame.

I can only comment for myself, but i like to explore new sites on my own so I would say no.

I dont think new members(interested in the community) come to the site making new threads about boosting.. thoose people just come to the site look for boosting a never return, So that would not really change much. You can tell them a thousand times and they still do it.

For boosting some new members would still make additonal threads. That is bound to happen, however I think if this was included in the welcome PM, there will be a lot less additional boosting threads made so I feel it will save a lot of threads having to be shut down.

Voted no. I don't think it's worth the time Routine would have to take to install the plug-in just for the PMs, just for them to be ignored just like all the stickies and announcements do. These people are on a mission. They want to boost NOW and no amount of warnings to use the stickies are going to stop them from going for the game forum and clicking for the new thread button. If they cared to look around in the first place, they would see the announcements and stickies. So I highly doubt they would look at a PM either.

Have you ever installed this before?

It took me about 3 minutes when I did it, and that includes downloading the plugin, uploading the plugin, activating the plugin and writing up the message.

Yes seems to be heavily outvoting no at the moment (Even more so when you take out FiftyQuids fake vote.)

If it really takes 3 minutes to do it is definitely worth it, however wouldn't it take longer than that?