What is ScorecardResearch and why is it asking me to take surveys?

mjc0961

This just slid down from the top of my screen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/wtfisthisshit.png

I don't know what this crap is or why it's showing up to ask me to take a survey. I'm using the latest version of Chrome with AdBlock running and ScriptNo running blocking the domain "[noparse]b.scorecardresearch.com[/noparse]" because the forums were taking forever to load for me and whenever I looked down at the status bar to see what the hold-up was, it was always that domain causing the slowdown. And despite AdBlock and ScriptNo, this thing still barged in and interrupted my browsing. I clicked it away with the red X as there's no way I'm going to risk clicking a "to stop receiving these click here" link on a random pop-up.

After I click the Submit New Thread button, I'm going to immediately delete all my cookies, clear my cache, and run a virus scan in case this is some malware or virus shit I picked up somewhere. But in case it's not on my end, I wanted this to get some attention and see if it's something that's supposed to be here or something that needs to be removed from the site.

after doing a google search i found this

If a default browser is being frequently redirected to B.scorecardresearch.com or random ad sites, you are faced with a very dangerous malware on your computer. Its main function is to change DNS and Hosts file settings and redirect your internet searches to various unwanted search sites. Within the infiltrated computer, the virus will disable firewall and anti-virus programs, rewrite important files in the registry and replace critical operating system files. This will result that whenever people click on google, yahoo or bing, the search engine results will be directed to B.scorecardresearch.com or random advertising pages. B.scorecardresearch.com related trojan may lower your computer's speed and can be used to trace users internet browsing activities.

Possible symptoms:

Slower computer performance

Inactivated anti-virus

Computer is sending spam

Browser crashes on startup

currently i have not found a way to remove it without going to the scorecardresearch website or downloading any suspicious programs but will reply back once i do

So I delete my cache/history/cookies etc for the first time in about 8 months (had to since things weren't loading elsewhere) and guess what I get as soon as I sign back in, this bleeding ad/survey, I thought I was free from all of them :(.
Well, at least it's not just me. Sad to know that clearing my cookies won't help it keep it at bay though. :( That says it's definitely something on the site and not just something I picked up somewhere (my virus scan came back clean BTW).

Lol you should know how to use the edit button by now:P
There's a difference between making 3 posts in a row within minutes because you don't know how the multi quote button works and updating a thread with new information while also bringing it back up to the top of the thread list so that the people who need to see it have a better chance of seeing it.

Ive only had the popup once and never seen it again. But after a quick google search you can add the following to the HOSTS file on your computer (PC Only?)

By adding the following to your hosts file, it should direct any request to the scorecardresearch site back to your own computer. So it dont connect to anything. This should also work for any other sites that you want to add, but be warned it might impact some other sites if you go blocking every ad network this way.

Also i found suggested to put the following domains without the 127.0.0.1 part into the blocked sites settings under internet options on your browser might work for some.

# scorecardresearch.com

127.0.0.1 scorecardresearch.com

127.0.0.1 Scorecard Research

127.0.0.1 b.scorecardreseach.com

127.0.0.1 http://www.b.scorecardreseach.com

127.0.0.1 beacon.scorecardresearch.com

127.0.0.1 http://www.beacon.scorecardresearch.com

127.0.0.1 sb.scorecardresearch.com.edgekey.net

127.0.0.1 http://www.sb.scorecardresearch.com.edgekey.net

127.0.0.1 b.scorecardresearch.com.edgesuite.net

127.0.0.1 http://www.b.scorecardresearch.com.edgesuite.net

127.0.0.1 sb.scorecardresearch.com

127.0.0.1 http://www.sb.scorecardresearch.com

127.0.0.1 edgesuite.net

127.0.0.1 http://www.edgesuite.net

The hosts file can be found in the following places.

For Windows 9x(98 or older) and ME "C:\Windows\hosts"

For NT, Win2K and XP use "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" or "C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

For Windows 7 and Vista use "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" or "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\"

You may have to use Notepad and "Run as Administrator"

The method of editing the hosts file isnt for everyone, so be sure of what you are doing before doing it. If you continue to try this DO NOT delete anything thats already in the HOSTS file.

Ive only had the popup once and never seen it again. But after a quick google search you can add the following to the HOSTS file on your computer (PC Only?)

By adding the following to your hosts file, it should direct any request to the scorecardresearch site back to your own computer. So it dont connect to anything. This should also work for any other sites that you want to add, but be warned it might impact some other sites if you go blocking every ad network this way.

Also i found suggested to put the following domains without the 127.0.0.1 part into the blocked sites settings under internet options on your browser might work for some.

The hosts file can be found in the following places.

For Windows 9x(98 or older) and ME "C:\Windows\hosts"

For NT, Win2K and XP use "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" or "C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

For Windows 7 and Vista use "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" or "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\"

You may have to use Notepad and "Run as Administrator"

The method of editing the hosts file isnt for everyone, so be sure of what you are doing before doing it. If you continue to try this DO NOT delete anything thats already in the HOSTS file.

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

I think I'd rather just see if they can remove it from the site instead. That way I don't accidentally mess up my computer and then nobody has to deal with it anymore.

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

I think I'd rather just see if they can remove it from the site instead. That way I don't accidentally mess up my computer and then nobody has to deal with it anymore.

The thing is it might not be from this site itself. The beacon and cookies can be placed from another site, and the cookies that are placed are tracking cookies. If you visit a site for the first time, or after clearing cookies, the scorecard cookie might see it as a new site and trigger the java file stored on your computer.

Even using the opt out on the scorecard site itself sets a new cookie on your computer that can be erased and you will have to do the whole thing again.

My warning about the hosts file is just so people dont change anything that was already set by other software such as antivirus software. In most cases its just a sample file placed there by microsoft to show how you can use it.

Take a screenshot and we can remove it.

I'll echo what Minty said. As much information that can be provided will get this removed as quickly as possible. Screenshots are good, but they are just the start. What's the site URL? What is the ad for? What country are members from that see the ad? That kind of stuff. The more details that we have, the quicker we can remove the ad. Please PM it to me so that I don't miss it and can quickly pass it on to Webb.

I'll echo what Minty said. As much information that can be provided will get this removed as quickly as possible. Screenshots are good, but they are just the start. What's the site URL? What is the ad for? What country are members from that see the ad? That kind of stuff. The more details that we have, the quicker we can remove the ad. Please PM it to me so that I don't miss it and can quickly pass it on to Webb.
Alright, thanks. I don't have anything more to add about this thing than I have already posted here, though. As I said, I have Adblock and ScriptNo running to block the scorecardresearch domain and that thing still popped up.

after modifying my google search i found a bit more on this.

search your computer for beacon.js if its found delete it.

A little more info i found is its embeded in alot of wordpress sites, heres a quote i found from wordpress support..

it's just used for some stats tracking by a company we work with called ComScore

So i would assume if you are using "ComScore" for analytics or any type of traffic tracking they might be the culprit

I don't have that file.

There was another cookie from those bastards in my cookies today though. What more do I need to do to stop them? Shouldn't an ad blocker and a script blocker be enough?! :wall:

I have tried a few times since reading this thread to get the popup but cant get it, so i cant tell you if this will work or not.

In Firefox

under Options, pick options

click the privacy tab then click the exceptions button

add scorecardresearch.com to the box and click block

That should block the cookies from being planted on your computer again. Again i cant say for sure since i cant get the ad to show up, but by the meaning of the cookie exceptions it should be blocked. Just a temp work around hopefully to stop the annoyance till its figured out where its comming from.

Edit: Ive never used that noscript plugin/addon but if you can put a url in the blacklist, this is the url for the js file thats said to trigger the cookies and popup

http://b.scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js

Edited by DoSe

I have a Mac so I'm not virus worried. It is pretty darn annoying though. Happened to me on my first two posts (I'm new on the forums). I like in the UK. I'm sure someone can source it next time it comes up to them, I'll try to if it comes up for me. I assume its coming up for every member who posts or who are on for a while, would like to know if its purposely there as an ad for site funding or just an infection onto the servers.

click the privacy tab then click the exceptions button

add scorecardresearch.com to the box and click block

That should block the cookies from being planted on your computer again.

Alright, done (and I've deleted the existing cookie again). I'll browse around and see if it comes back again. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Nope, it came back again already. :|

Edited by mjc0961

• 3 weeks later...