Hardcore really wasn't that difficult.

Chairman Meow

The only part of the game that gave me trouble was the big fight at the end of Chapter 7, so I just made my first save right before that. The first seven chapter are pretty easy up to that point, so as long as you're careful and prepared you shouldn't run into any problems.

I don't know how it was for anyone else, but I only had the Plasma Cutter, Contact Beam, and Detonator, but I pretty much only used the PCutter for most of the game except for a few specific situations, so the only thing I was buying from the store was PC ammo. Between the credits I'd pick up and conductors and useless ammo I could sell off, I had more than enough credits pretty much from Chapter 5 or so on. I didn't use any ammo glitches or anything and by the end I had over 150,000 credits that I couldn't spend because my inventory was already full of ammo and health packs.

I have a question abut Hard Mode (because I am currently playing on casual as the guide says).

I have found a ton of check points so everytime I got killed for some mistake (or sometimes I kill myself to repeat a trophy) I am sent back to the last check point.

Why people have to go back 5 or 6 chapters to the last manual save if check points place you really close? Do check points are not active in hard mode? Does the trophy require only 3 manual saves or you have to pass the game without dying?

Thanks !

I have a question abut Hard Mode (because I am currently playing on casual as the guide says).

I have found a ton of check points so everytime I got killed for some mistake (or sometimes I kill myself to repeat a trophy) I am sent back to the last check point.

Why people have to go back 5 or 6 chapters to the last manual save if check points place you really close? Do check points are not active in hard mode? Does the trophy require only 3 manual saves or you have to pass the game without dying?

Thanks !

There are no checkpoints in Hard Core Mode, so dying will return you to your last save. You can only save in three spots throughout the entire game.

Thanks !

Read the guide again. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::mad::mad:

I bet you will never beat hardcore mode. :dance:

Read the guide again. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::mad::mad:

I bet you will never beat hardcore mode. :dance:

LOL, I will show you my Dead Space 2 plat in some weeks. :rolleyes:

In fact, I have another question:

Don't you think is easier to go first for hard core mode and get the foam finger weapon and then clean the zealot mode?

Since you can't take any upgrade to hardcore mode why do you have to beat zealot first?

Wow now you are talking with logic, after the dumbest question ever. You are full of surprises, sir. :D

Just a question after my dumbest question ever :o

Would you show me where does the guide say the check points don't work in hardcore mode? :rolleyes: please quote :whistle:

Don't you think is easier to go first for hard core mode and get the foam finger weapon and then clean the zealot mode?

Since you can't take any upgrade to hardcore mode why do you have to beat zealot first?

It probably doesn't matter either way. I didn't really pay attention to the trophy guide, I'm a big Dead Space fan and I plat'd the last game, so I'm not half bad. I started on Survivalist (think that's it, whatever the highest difficulty before unlocking Zealot is) for a challenge, plus I figured the game would be scarier if there was a real threat of getting killed at any moment. :D

Anyway, after completing my first playthrough, I started both a Zealot and Hardcore game. I played through Zealot a bit first, then if I had 2-3 hours to sit and play I'd switch to Hardcore. It worked out because it acted as a nice refresher course for the chapters, so it was easier to remember enemy spawns and such. I actually jumped ahead a bit and finished Hardcore while I'm still at Chapter 11 in my Zealot game.

To be perfectly honest, though, you really don't need the hand cannon. I mean, it makes the game unbelievably easy, but with three upgraded weapons, the Elite suits, and all of your ammo and cash from your first game it's pretty difficult to get killed unless you're just completely screwing around. :p

It probably doesn't matter either way. I didn't really pay attention to the trophy guide, I'm a big Dead Space fan and I plat'd the last game, so I'm not half bad. I started on Survivalist (think that's it, whatever the highest difficulty before unlocking Zealot is) for a challenge, plus I figured the game would be scarier if there was a real threat of getting killed at any moment. :D

Anyway, after completing my first playthrough, I started both a Zealot and Hardcore game. I played through Zealot a bit first, then if I had 2-3 hours to sit and play I'd switch to Hardcore. It worked out because it acted as a nice refresher course for the chapters, so it was easier to remember enemy spawns and such. I actually jumped ahead a bit and finished Hardcore while I'm still at Chapter 11 in my Zealot game.

To be perfectly honest, though, you really don't need the hand cannon. I mean, it makes the game unbelievably easy, but with three upgraded weapons, the Elite suits, and all of your ammo and cash from your first game it's pretty difficult to get killed unless you're just completely screwing around. :p

Good job, i am almost the same as u, i started on zealot as my first playthrough because i really love this game n yes this mode really kick my A** several times n the ammo drop is insane for my first playthrough, i am always buying medical n bullets.

After i complete Zealot, i tried hardcore, i found it easier a lot on the dmg necromoph does on me. Since itz my second playthrough i just upgrade my 2 fav. guns n i even completed HC without even knowing i have an extra last save left lolx. I save begin of chapter 5 & chapter 12(right after the mine) the last one i forgot to save ;)

Any advise will be welcome, my plan as I told you is to go for HC mode and get the foam figer.

Depends on your skill level with the game and, more importantly, your familiarity with the game:

• Do you know where the enemies spawn in 80-90% of the rooms at least?
  • Do you know that you can get past the one-hit kill areas without a scratch?
  • Do you have a plan on using your 3 saves and where?
  • Are you comfortable enough with fighting while using only the bare minimum of weapon ammo and armor in Survivalist difficulty?
  • Are you comfortable with Kinesis kills and using Stasis effectively?

If you can answer these questions with a "yes" then you should go ahead and knock out Hard Core mode. If not, then I would play through Zealot on New Game+. It's almost just as easy rolling through Zealot on New Game+.

I just don't understand the craze with going through Hard Core mode first, dying 857 times, getting frustrated over and over again and having to play for 30 hours repeating chapters (real time) to just have a mild stroke and then breeze through Zealot in 2 hours. What's the point? Maybe if you rented the game only or you are an uber gamer with time on his/her hands, then fine. But if you enjoy the game, you'll play through it again with the Hand Cannon -- trust me: you'll want to vent some anger with the "Foam Finger of DOOM". If you hate Dead Space and only played through for the trophies, then you're going to have to replay chapters again and again ad nauseua because you are trying to fly through it and it'll make your gameplay last ten times as long as it would normally than if you played through twice (Normal then Zealot), got familiar with the game on the higher difficulty - and where your personal trouble spots are - and THEN played through Hard Core in about 7 hours or so. All in all, it would take about the same amount of time, all things considered.

EDIT: Before I get lynched on the forums, I'm not begrudging anyone who chooses to follow this route. I mean, hey, if you are a good enough gamer and can deal with everything the game throws at you no problem, then that's cool. More power to you. But for "Joe-Average" like me, I just think it's not the best strategy to follow.

Edited by Old_Snoova

Depends on your skill level with the game and, more importantly, your familiarity with the game:

• Are you comfortable enough with fighting while using only the bare minimum of weapon ammo and armor in Survivalist difficulty?

If you can answer these questions with a "yes" then you should go ahead and knock out Hard Core mode. If not, then I would play through Zealot on New Game+. It's almost just as easy rolling through Zealot on New Game+.

This is actually a really good checklist, Hardcore is definitely about having a plan - knowing where you have to save, what weapons to pick up, how to use your power nodes, etc...

Like I said in my previous post, I love the Dead Space franchise so I was just playing everything for fun. I consider myself a pretty competent player and Hardcore interested me more than a New Game+, so I went with that. I know for me, I struggled at the fight at the end of Chapter 7 in the transport hub, so I made sure to use my first save right before that. I died two or three times, but since I had already planned it out I didn't waste a lot of time replaying sections. That was actually the only point where I died, so it worked out pretty well.

For me, it was an easy jump to Hardcore because I had played both Dead Space games on the harder difficulties, so I knew what I was getting into. I see the guide here suggests playing on Casual first, where you have a much bigger margin for error. If that's all you know, it's probably a good idea to get an idea of how Survivalist/Zealot plays, even if you have an advantage by starting a New Game+.

I think for the most part you should have a pretty good idea if you're up for Hardcore. Assume that getting hit more than two or three times by the average enemy in a given battle will kill you - can you survive? If you have that perfectionist mentality and can more or less live up to it, Hardcore really isn't that difficult.

When I went into hardcore I could say no to ALL of these.

Yet I still found Hard Core to be pretty easy

*I only played once or twice before hardcore (on survivalist), but used the general strategy of "hide in a corner and let enemies come to me" so I didn't need to know where they spawned. If I hear enemies coming, I run to a corner

*The one hit kill areas are some of the few times I died in Hard Core

*Wanted to save at 8, saved at 7 instead. The other 2 saves were spurr of the moment

*I always go straight for max damage plasma cutter and max hp, feels safer

*The only time I didn't use stasis in a blind craze was against Brutes. Only way I see to kill them... And I got some practice in Hard Core using kinesis, but ended up wasting more ammo than needed because my aim with Kinesis was terrible

Hard trophy? Hell no

The hardest thing is finding time with work/studying/social stuff going on. For myself it's meant spacing hardcore play out to mainly weekends. It is not terribly difficult but it is nerve-racking. The main recommendation I can give is don't try to save ammo. Use what you have to survive.

When I went into hardcore I could say no to ALL of these.

Yet I still found Hard Core to be pretty easy

*I only played once or twice before hardcore (on survivalist), but used the general strategy of "hide in a corner and let enemies come to me" so I didn't need to know where they spawned. If I hear enemies coming, I run to a corner

*The one hit kill areas are some of the few times I died in Hard Core

*Wanted to save at 8, saved at 7 instead. The other 2 saves were spurr of the moment

*I always go straight for max damage plasma cutter and max hp, feels safer

*The only time I didn't use stasis in a blind craze was against Brutes. Only way I see to kill them... And I got some practice in Hard Core using kinesis, but ended up wasting more ammo than needed because my aim with Kinesis was terrible

Hard trophy? Hell no

Which is why the first eight words I said in my post were, "Depends on your skill level with the game." You obviously sound like a skilled gamer, so my advice wouldn't really apply to you. Several people are pimping the idea of launching straight into Hard Core after playing the game once on Easy... that just doesn't work for the AVERAGE Dead Space player and certainly not for people who are searching/asking other members for advice about Hard Core. That's the reason why the forum gets flooded with "OMG! HardCore SUX & ITS SOOOOO HARD!!" threads because people are trying just that and it doesn't work for them, either.

Hard Core isn't all that difficult for difficulty's sake, but it is tough on your nerves the first time through. No one can deny that honestly... unless you are a masochist. Then it would be fun. :D

The hardest thing is finding time with work/studying/social stuff going on. For myself it's meant spacing hardcore play out to mainly weekends. It is not terribly difficult but it is nerve-racking. The main recommendation I can give is don't try to save ammo. Use what you have to survive.

That was my main problem, too, was stating that I was having trouble finding the time to sit and play for a chunk of a few hours (due to my work) ... and I got BLASTED on this forum for saying as such by some guy who said he was part astronaut, part rock star, part skateboarder, part world class chef, a father of 16 kids and he does missionary work in Indonesia on the weekends. LOL!

That's good advice about the ammo conservation: 6 Plasma rounds are not worth replaying 3 hours of the game over again.

Edited by Old_Snoova

Which is why the first eight words I said in my post were, "Depends on your skill level with the game." You obviously sound like a skilled gamer, so my advice wouldn't really apply to you.

you said skill level "with the game," nothing about just being a skilled gamer.

Me saying no to all of those bullet points, I obviously wasn't THAT skilled at the game.

but I digress

It's not that hard, the most difficult thing is that it needs 3 hours of play without interruptions! xD I've managed to get the plat tonight with a 7 hours run and saves at chapter 7, 11 and 13.

I agree with OldSnoova: it's easier to complete hardcore only after 2 playthroughs on survivalist and zealot. Knowing which weapons are the best, who where and when the necros come and how they attack you it's the only hope to survive this crazy mode. :p

Not to mention the tension that this mode puts in your gameplay. Knowing that a single mistake could fuck you up and you have to restart from the beginning is a nightmare...

And of course affects your way of playing the game! :D

And of course affects your way of playing the game! :D

Actually, it just annoyed me.

Finished Dead Space 1 around 20 times (10 of those on Impossible).

But after dying twice in hardcore (once a power outtage fucked my playtime in chapter 7 and 2nd time was my own fault as i used Detonator instead of Force gun in close combat in chapter 7 again) i put the game away.

So, got my "did not die" 1st save now after the tripod nest fight, before entering the ishimura.

Good start, for when i pick it up again.

If you have problems with the big fight at the end of chapter 7 there 's a very easy solution: just keep runnig around the room in a big circle while waiting for Ellie to open the door.

You don't need to fire one shot. If you don't kill the first ennemy the others won't spawn.

Awesome tip. Thanks!