Challenge Mode Help Thread - Q&A

Please note Googlers and other wanderers: This thread is made for INTERMEDIATE PLAYERS ONLY. Please recognize the audience that this thread is catering too, I know that all information here isn't 100% correct or frame-by-frame accurate. It is merely intended to be a guide to get the trophy or to get a higher %

Intro

Hey everyone, and welcome to the Challenge Mode Community Help Thread. As we all know, Challenge mode can be really relentless with its combos, and sometimes there's more to a combo than "Mash Buttons CHALLANGE CLEAR". Timing, strange positions, odd button tips, and sometimes even extending combos or adding in actions are all useful tools that the community can share with each other to make it easier on the rest of us.

This thread is going to be formed in an FaQ, Q+A type format. Basically, you ask a question, and someone answers it for you. If the question seems like it would b asked enough, and the answer is beyond "just practice" I will add it to the OP for easy searching. If you just want to post tips, please do so in the Q+A form. This is to avoid big blocks of paragraphs for each challenge mode combo, and to make things easier for those who lurk the site or are looking for their specific problem on a combo.

Also, please use sense when asking questions. Do not be afraid to ask if it's basic, but please be sensible.

Some examples of a good question:

Q: In Arakune challenge 6, I can't seem to get his D bug to hit after 6C 236C. Is there a very specific timing? The bug always ends up far to the left of Bang.

Q: In Ragna challenge 3 combo 2, for some reason I can't link Gauntlet Hades followup into 5B. Any reason why? Bang never seems to fly up as far as he does in the demonstration.

Some examples of a bad question:

Q: HOW DO CHALLENGE 3/how 2c 6b????????

Q: Hakumen's Challenge 10 is impossible. Why would Arc System works do such a thing? here is why i think that combo is unfair. Back in 2007 when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and we harvested corn from dry soil with our hands we wiped our feces on, arc system works discriminated against Hakumen players by...

Reference

I use the numerical directional system. For those unfamiliar, it's commonly used in Blazblue and the numerical value corresponds to a certain direction. With 5 being the center, these are the directions

6 is :right:, 4 is :left:, 2 is :down:, 3 is Forward-Down, etc. When numbers are put together in a sequence, you input that command as if you would move the stick/numpad. IE: 236D would be quarter circle forward D. IMPORTANT these numbers are assigned relative to the player. If you're on the right of Bang, and you see see 6D, it wants you to move towards the opponent and press D.

A = :square: B = :triangle: C = :circle: D= :cross:

Other references:

j - jump/midair

wiff - when an attack misses the opponent

hitbox - the area in which your hits can connect to the opponent

frames - 1 frame = 1/60th a second

teching/techs - to recover from a combo

Gimmick - obscure inputs or non BnB combos intended to mess up your opponent. They often rely on hoping your opponent messes up or doesn't expect it. In this guide, it's odd inputs that don't follow Ragna's "run around press buttons" playstyle

BnB Bread and Butter. The main combos your character uses to deal damage

blue/black beat - when the combo counter turns blue. When this happens the combo can be teched out of (you'll very rarely see this in challenge mode)

t - Valkenhyn's transform/wolf form

Basic Tips

If you're having trouble performing combos, there are some basic steps you can do to problem solve or make the combo easier.

• Try switching directions. If you're approaching Bang from the left, trying doing it from the right.
  • Use the corner to your advantage! Even if a combo doesn't require it, sometimes putting them in the corner will help. Sometimes, though, the combo requires you do be midfield and this won't apply.
  • If you're having a lot of trouble with a combo you can pause inbetween difficult inputs to give yourself more leeway. Note that this will cause some frame/time loss if you're not dead-on with timing, so only do it when necessary or you may drop the combo.
  • If some commands are difficult to insert, try mixing up the control stick and directional pad. This is especially true for 632146 specials. Note that if you do this, rebind F1 to R3 or you'll regret it.
  • Delay actions by a few frames, especially those that involve the opponent being airborn
  • Try imputing commands faster. This is especially true for Dash Cancels
  • If the combo involves a lot of ground-to-air, try connecting combos when characters are nearing the floor. As a general rule, this will allow you to combo much easier
  • Dash-cancel neutrals pissing you off? Try dashing into 4A/B/C/D. For most characters this is the same input as standing A/B/C/D and will save you a lot of trouble.
  • If using a Fightstick, YouTube - VesperArcade's Channel might help you

General Q+A

Q: When should I start Challenge Mode?

This is a hard question to answer. If you're familiar with fighting games you can jump in at any time. If this is your first, I recommend waiting a bit. While learning BnB combos will make your life simple, you'll find yourself having difficulty even moving around the screen with ease. Go to Arcade mode or Story mode. Fiddle around with the characters and learn what works and what doesn't, then come back to break things up a bit. If you are experiences or even intermediate at the game just jump in at any time to break up the monotony of arcade or story mode. For a lot of people doing Trials are the most fun part of the single player experience.

Q: I'm just starting challenge mode, who should I focus on?

Ragna (Easy inputs with forgivable timing)

Jin (A heavy amount of dash cancels, but aside from that easy difficulty

Iron Tager (A couple of tricks, but low amount of inputs with forgivable timing)

Tsubaki (Easy inputs)

Hazama (Don't let the weird playstyle scare you, his combos are easy)

Arakune (very odd inputs, but easy combos once you get the hang of it)

DLC/SECRET

Mu-12 (If you have her unlocked, easy inputs with fairly forgivable timing up to Challenge 7)

Makoto (If you have her unlocked/downloaded, easy inputs with forgivable timing)

Valkenhyn (easy inputs if downloaded. gotta do it for that trophy anyways)

Platinum The Trinity(easy inputs)

Q: What % do I need to get the trophy?

If you've downloaded both DLC characters you need around 59% to get the trophy. If you haven't, however, you need to finish around 67% of the challenges. With Platinum it will be 56%.

Q: Should I download the DLC Characters? Do they count towards the overall challenge count?

Yes, they do count towards the overall challenge count. Whether you need to download them is up to you. Their combos are pathetically easy in comparison to others (beginning players will still struggle) and take about 30 minutes to finish 80% of their Challenges (player skill depending). Whether or not you need to buy these characters is up to the individual player. You'll find a "just one more" mentality works for clearing out the free character's combos.

Q:Should I get a fighstick for these?

Short answer, No.

Most characters combos are as easy with a control pad as they are with a fightstick and to get it just for that is an insane waste of money. Plenty of professional Street Fighter, Marvel Versus Capcom, and Blazblue/Guillty Gear players use fight pads or controllers and they work just as well. However, there are two characters whose combos become much harder without fightsticks, and those are Carl Clovers and Taokaka's. It's still not worth getting for just those 2 characters.

Edited by Elephantgun

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select01.jpg

Ragna The Bloodedge: Easy links and Easy Combos are what Ragna's about. He's a great beginner character whose combos teaches you the fundamentals such as restrictive timing and introduces Dash Canceling to those unfamiliar. Overall, the combos will be relatively easy to perform and only have 1 quirk maximum, and even his later combos are only at the high-intermediate stage. Highly recommended for 70%+

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Q: Why is the 5D missing?

A: You have to dash after the throw

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Q: Why is the j5C missing?

A: Delay the Gauntlet Hades follow up by a decent amount of frames. The later you do the follow-up, the better.

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Q: Why is my jC missing? Why is my Belital Edge being teched (and there is no ground bounce)?

A: It's actually a surprisingly tight link. First, to hit the Belital edge you have to generally do a normal jump, not a high jump. And while mashing isn't recommended, as long as your jump cancels are on time you can mash C and just do the other motions.

Challenge 6

Challenge 7

Q: How do I connect 5B 6A to the Inferno Divider followup?

A: There are two ways to do this, you can tell which you need to do by the initial 623C. If after 623 C Bang gets hit twice, you have to delay each followup by a decent amount. If after 623C Bang is only hit once (AKA you had a lot of distance on him), you can mash the followups. The end goal is to, when you end with the final 236C, Bang is directly in front of Ragna (it'll look like you punch him in the stomach/crotch). Then wait until Bang is just about to hit the ground and 5B 6A should link.

Q: How come I end up behind Bang after j214C?

A: "The reason you go behind him with the j214C is because you're too close. The easy fix is do the super jump forward, but do the second jump straight up. So it would look like 29 jC jD 8 jC j214C 3C." (Thanks Akari)

Challenge 8

Q: Why isn't Ragna's 22C not hitting after the final 5D?

A: Make sure that you're doing 5D as late as possible before Bang recovers. This will keep Bang as low to the ground as possible, allowing you to end with 22C.

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Q: Why is ground 6D wiffing after the j5D 5D j5D?

A: You're not delaying the final j5D enough. After the 2nd 5D jump, wait a good chunk of frames then do air 5D. Basically, in this combo if Bang is teching out the general rule is "delay the action before it more". Learn the latest possible time Bang will recover and hit him during that frame.

Challenge 10 - Advanced

Q: How do I do 22C dash 5B?

A: When his hand is being pulled back is passing in front of Ragna's waste you can input the dash 5B and it should connect.

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select02.jpg

Jin Kisaragi: Plays almost just like Ragna, having easy combos with generic inputs. His combos are slightly more difficult but are still fairly easy, and to boot his Challenge 9-10 combos are actually easy, only having 1 difficult combo in his entire challenge mode. If you attempt to do his challenges expect an easy ride with a lot of dash canceling and not much else. Recommended for 80%+

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Q: SO MANY DASHES HOW DO I DASH?

A: This is probably your introduction to dash canceling if you're overwhelmed. Basically, when the move connects, you can press 6 twice on your controller and you'll cancel the move into a forward dash. If you're having trouble dashing chances are you're dashing much too late. You dash
basically
the moment your move connects.

Q: Why isn't 214C connecting?

A: You're doing the dash 5C too early. Dash out of 6C as fast as possible and wait for Bang to fall a bit before connecting the 5C. You want Bang to be slightly below you when you do the 2C 214C otherwise he'll tech out of it.

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Q: I can't connect the 632146D!

A: It's all about the timing of Bang's jump and your relative position. The closer to Bang and the higher he is the more likely it will connect.

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Q: How do I do the C repeating part of the combo?

A: During the combo, after the dash 6B you just mash the hell out of C. When you see the counter reach about 9, stop mashing. Once you recover (this takes practice as to when you do), then you 6C 214C.

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6

Challenge 7

Q: How do I do 623C dash 5B?

A: This is a difficult link. The key is to dash the moment you hear the sword click or when Bang is just past the Apex of his launch/fall, and then 5B. If you're 6Bing, trying doing 664B. It's the same move just with a different input that cancels the dash input.

Challenge 8

Challenge 9

Challenge 10

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select03_on.jpg

Noel Vermillion: On the surface she looks like an easy character. Generic rushdown fighting style. However, once you start her combos you'll get an entirely different picture. Her combos are filled with Revolver Combos, requiring strict input and often difficult dashes. In addition she's plagued with the "every other challenge sucks" problem, wherein the challenge 4 combo 1 is easy, but the challenge 4 combo 2 is difficult. However, it doesn't mean she's unlearnable. Recommended 40%, challenge 3 and 6.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Q: How do I connect the 6B in 6C 5D 6B?

A: After 6C, you don't need to input the 5D right away. If you're having trouble connecting the 5D, then delay the input a little. 6B is the same, you can delay that as well. If there is a followup (such as a 5C), then you can delay that as well if you're missing it! If you mash through the drive, everything will whiff.

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Q: I'm having trouble getting 22C dash 5B 5C to work, I keep inputting 6B. What's up?

A: The dash cancel for this is very difficult. It helps to do 66 to dash, then quickly 4B. This will ensure that you'll use Standing B instead of Froward B.

Challenge 7 - Practical

Q: How do I connect the 6B in 6C 5D 6B?

A: After 6C, you don't need to input the 5D right away. If you're having trouble connecting the 5D, then delay the input a little. 6B is the same, you can delay that as well. If there is a followup (such as a 5C), then you can delay that as well if you're missing it! If you mash through the drive, everything will whiff.

Challenge 8 - Practical

How do I connect the dash 6C after 623D?

It turns out the window to hit this is very early. Instead of waiting to see them fall back on the screen, start the dash input immediately after 623D finishes. 6C's hitbox is actually quite high, so if you're whiffing it, you're doing it too late and going above them.

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select04_on.jpg

Rachael Alucard: Fitting to her piss-poor damage combos, the inputs themselves are not that difficult. Once you figure out how to use the D winds effectively her combos are really quite simple. Even Combo #10 isn't too difficult in comparison to others. Recommended 80%

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Q: I'm having trouble with the wind in this challenge

A: Have Bang just slightly away from the corner and don't bother with the sylphed. Use it right at the start of the grab animation. It will still count but won't have any effect.

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Q: When do I use 3D - before, during, or after I hit with j2C?

A:
This question is unanswered!

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select05_on.jpg

Taokaka: The beginning impression of Taokaka is that she is impossible to learn. With odd inputs, massive amounts of inputs and pretty much a minimum of 13 hit combos, it's easy to be intimidated. However, once you learn her Gimmick the rest of the combos (sans 10) are just variations of the same thing. If you're struggling to finish off your last 10-15 combos and need to learn a character, Taokaka is highly recommended. Having a fightstick makes her combos much more trivial. Recommended 50%+

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Q: Why is my 5B 5C not connecting after the air grab?

A: There are two reasons. One, you're using 5B too early. The air grab stagger lasts until Bang hits the floor, so try to 5b as close to the floor as possible. Another reason is, you're mashing. Stop mashing, Taokaka's combos don't like it aside from 236B MASHMASHMASH. When you mash 5C it might recognize it as you charging 5C and not release it as soon as possible.

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

Edited by Elephantgun

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select06_on.jpg

Iron Tager: Has extremely low input combos with relatively slow timing and not a lot of quick links. In addition, he only has 2 Gimmicks to learn that continue across all combos, which is 236B 22D and 5C wiff 2C. Because of this he is probably the easiest character to 100% in the game, his Challenge 10 being more simple than most characters Challenge 6+. Recommended 100%.

360B/720C

Q: I'm new to Tager, how do I input these commands?

A: 360B can actually be inputted as 270B. You can either input 5123698B or 632148B (making sure you end on 8B on both counts). 720C is a little trickier. It can be buffered by jumping and rotating your thumb along the control stick/directional pad, or it can be buffered with 5B or similar moves. For these challenges, it really doesn't matter which.

Astral Finish

Q: His astral finish is annoying to input, I always end up jumping before I can use the astral. How can I do it easier?

A: The easiest, and most practical way to do it is to buffer the 1020D with 2D. Right after 2D start spinning your thumb like mad and it should activate. You could also buffer it with a jump 1020, and pressing D the moment you land.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Q: I can never get Gadget Finger to land after 236B, any advice?

A: It's simply a timing thing. As soon as you're available to you have to press 22D and hold D. You should pick up Bang the moment it is possible. It's a staple in Tager's combos, so after this it all gets easier.

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Q: My air5C isn't connecting into ground 5C, what's up?

A: You're grabbing too high in the air. Try grabbing when the opponent is lower to the ground, and using air5C with the opponent is lower to the ground. You can mash inbetween air5C and 5C, the timing is all in when you activate the air5C.

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Q: Why isn't air2C connecting? In the demonstration the move takes only a few frames, how come when I do it it has such an extensive wind-up time?

A: It's all in the timing. There are only a few frames before you hit the ground when you can air2C and have it connect after Atomic Collider. It's a commonly used combo move, so I would suggest getting the timing down sooner rather than later. If it's distance you're worried about, you can start holding the directional towards Bang to get a bit of movement before you (wiff) j5C.

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Q: why can't my (wiff) 623C connect with 5B? Bang always recovers before I can.

A: Do it as quickly as possible. There is no special timing, you just aren't doing it quick enough. Practice practice practice, and learn the timing so you can immediately (wiff) 623C after 623C, and immediately 5B after.

Challenge 6 - Practical

Q: Why isn't my 623C connecting after 2C? He's too far away to be grabbed.

A: There are two reasons. First, you might not be holding down 623C long enough and you're not giving enough time for the magnetized Bang to fly into you. Alternatively, you're holding down 623 too long and Bang, while in the range of Atomic Collider's grip, is not being actually grabbed. Remember you don't actually grab your opponent until you let go of C.

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Q: Why does 2C at the beginning of the combo only connect half of the time?

A: This combo is very position dependent. A few frames delay in the RC 6A or being too far back from Bang will wiff 6A. It helps a lot to have Bang magnetized before starting the combo. It helps it connect and relieves a lot of annoyance.

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select07_on.jpg

Litchi Faye Ling: Her combos are unforgivable. With strict timing and are often extremely long in comparison to other characters, don't expect to get too far without putting in a lot of effort. While you can get far with her, and her inputs are relatively typical, she's definitely not recommended for beginners. However, in the hands of an expert she's very top-tier in online mode, and therefore might be worth learning. Plus, who doesn't love 5k BnB combos? Recommended 40%

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Q: How do I land the dash 5C after jC?

A: To be able to hit with the 5C, you must do the jC late. Your input will be 5C jc jB pause for a beat jC. The jB must be INSTANT, but the jC delayed, or else Bang will tech the jB in later loops.

Challenge 6 - Practical

Q: How do I land the dash 5C after jC?

A: To be able to hit with the 5C, you must do the jC late. Your input will be 5C jc jB pause for a beat jC. The jB must be INSTANT, but the jC delayed, or else Bang will tech the jB in later loops.

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select08_on.jpg

Arakune: An odd playstyle, however with extremely easy inputs in Challenge mode. His challenge 3-5 combos are easy BnB combos that build curse, while his 6-10 combos are curse or instant-curse combos. You'll find yourself struggling to finish challenge 6, however once you learn his Gimmick you'll knock out another 40% in about 15 minutes. Highly recommended for people of intermediate skill. 90% Recommended.

Controlling Bugs: Bugs have a different input in that for Arakune they activate when the button is released, not pressed. In addition, you can control where the bugs will come by holding the directional stick - 6 will move them forward, 4 will move them back, 5 will keep them in their default position.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Q: Why am I doing this odd "turn into bite mouth and go backwards" thing when I do j6C?

A: you're imputing j896C instead of j86C (yes, j896C is actually a command). It's hard to differentiate the two, so I recommend doing j76C. It just makes the combo much easier.

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Q: Why isn't the C-release D-release C working? I'm imputing the commands but it gets stuck at a No command line.

A: The combo is strange in that what it really wants you to do is spam C D C right after 2A lands as quick as possible. The C-release should be when the tongue comes out, and then the D and C bugs should come out right after.

Q: I can't seem to get his D bug to hit after 6C 236C. Is there a very specific timing? The bug always ends up far to the left of Bang.

A: You can control where the bugs will come from by holding 4, 6, or neutral (none) on the directional pad. In order for these bugs to hit Bang, you have to be holding 6 when you release D. (thanks Fancyfox!)

Challenge 7 - Practical

Q:Why is the D bug after 6C 236C not hitting?

A: Same answer as before, same concept as before. You can control where the bugs come from using 4 6 or neutral. In order for these to hit Bang, you have to hold 6.

Challenge 8 - Practical

Q: The combo says release A 2A, does this mean I have to keep A held down for the combo, release it, then quickly tap 2A?

A: Simply pressing 2A will register both inputs and will work fine for the combo.

Q: Why aren't the bugs after 2A hitting Bang?

A: You have to be holding 6 on the directional stick when you release C/D in order for them to connect. It's a little more difficult this time, because you have a 2 input before and directly after, but the combo should look like:
2A 6C 6D 2C
. Note that you can input 2C relatively late in the combo.

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Q: How do I get 5D to connect? Bang always recovers!

A: You either aren't hitting 5D fast enough or not hitting 6B fast enough. The timing is strict, but once you learn the motions it's doable. The timing is as strict as the harder dash-cancels.

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select09_on.jpg

Bang Shisigami: Considering how online Bang players only seem to know 3 combos, his combos are actually fairly difficult. The first 4 challenges are all about BnB combos and you'll have no trouble. Afterward, you get difficult 4-seal combos and gimmicks. While his later combos won't necessarily rattle your brain, it's only recommended for intermediate to advanced players. Recommended 50%.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Q: How come my last D never hits the target?

A: For Bang's 7, you don't need to dash to hit that last D. As long as your j236C is off a forward jump, you should land close enough to be able to hit it.

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

Edited by Elephantgun

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select10_on.jpg

Carl Clover: The most obscure playstyle in the game. Two characters with one controller? How do I do that? That seems impossible. Well, not really. To be honest he's not easy to learn, but once you get the hang of controlling both him and the doll at the same time his combos become much much easier. Another character where the Gimmick is harder than he is. Still, only recommended for advanced players, however, beginners can do the first 4 challenges no problem. Recommended to learn for players looking to finish off 10-15 combos for their trophy. Having a Fightstick makes his combos much easier. Beginners Recommended 40%. Advanced Recommended 70%+

NOTE ABOUT CARL: If using a ps3 controller it is highly suggested that you rebind D to an R1/R2 button for his combos. It makes holding down D to keep bang in-between you two much easier and also requires less finger-mashing during the more complicated combos.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Q: The game isn't clear on when you should activate 6D, when should I activate it?

A: Right after 2B. The combo should be 2A B 2B 6D C 2A B 2B 6D C.

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Q: How do I do 22D/La Campanella after the throw? Ada's position is always wrong.

A: "The trick is to Hold D first. Then grab and press 22 and release D, if it goes correctly, Nirvana should be teleported in the position where you grab Bang. If you Vivace and teleport sister, the position will be messed up and Nirvana will be completely out of position." (thanks Zoel)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select11_on.jpg

Hakumen: There doesn't seem to be a consensus on Hakumen's combos. Some can easily clear his entire Challenge Mode except for 10, while some can't even get past 30%. His combos involve a lot of swooping directional like 236A and are somewhat revolver, and despite having a rather average rushdown playstyle he just has strange inputs and timing in comparison to similar characters like Jin (teehee) and Ragna. Most people get stuck on Challenge 5 Combo 2, but the combo ender is in nearly every challenge afterwards. If you can master that combo, expect another easy 30-40%. Overall, Recommended 50%+

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Q: How does the beginning of this combo work, exactly?

A: It's very difficult on the timing, but you're actually considered mid-air during Hakumen's foward dash. Long enough to use 214C. You want to do the input 663214C instead of 66 then 214C, as mentally it makes a lot more sense and it will make the combo much easier on you. You have to be quick with it.

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Q: After each time Bang hits me, he just stands there and does nothing, why?

A: You have to initiate a combo before he'll start hitting you again. Hit him with a 5C and he'll do his 5D the moment the combo list on the left-hand side turns red. Alternatively, you could just restart the combo using Select.

Q: Bang hits me 4 out of 5 times with his 5D, I can't seem to get the timing down.

A: The timing is difficult, there is only 7frames of shielding active, so you simply have to practice. If it helps, think of it as an Instablock.

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Q: How do I connect the J2C ground 2C? It always seems to not connect!

A: The timing is difficult. You have to use Jump, and the 2C so that it ends right when you're about to land (the animation is about 10 frames long), and then mash 2C. Practice practice practice.

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Q: Why cant I combo after 623A?

A: You're hitting 623A too early. You have to hit Bang as low as possible. The timing is tricky. Don't bother walking forward at all, just start the motion as Bang is about at Hakumen's head level, or slightly above. (Thanks Akari!)

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

Q: What the hell.

A: Yeah, I know.

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select12_on.jpg

Lambda 11: Relatively easy character to learn. There's nothing especially difficult about her combos, having somewhat odd inputs but mostly it's just learning as you go. Not to mention her BnB (jDDDDDD) is in every combo. There's nothing much to say about her, despite her playstyle her combos are just... simple. Recommended 60%+

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Q: Why isn't my j5D connecting after my 2D D?

A: you're hitting j5D too quickly. Bang will be suspended in air for a while after 2D D, so you have some time to let him fall closer to you. It is also suggested that instead of jumping straight up, you jump backwards with D (7 on the directional pad) to give yourself a good enough angle to hit him.

Challenge 7 - Practical

Q: In 7/8, why can't I ever combo after the j214D?

A: The j214D needs to be as close to the ground as possible. If you're too high up (maybe more than 1/4th of Bang's height off the ground), they will tech before you can hit them. In 8 it seems to be a little looser if they are against the wall, but it's impossible to force them there at the perfect distance at that stage of the combo.

for 7, I found the best input to be 6A (hold 8) 8214D (Thanks, Akari!)

Challenge 8 - Practical

Q:In 7/8, why can't I ever combo after the j214D?

A:The j214D needs to be as close to the ground as possible. If you're too high up (maybe more than 1/4th of Bang's height off the ground), they will tech before you can hit them. In 8 it seems to be a little looser if they are against the wall, but it's impossible to force them there at the perfect distance at that stage of the combo.

In 8, the best input was (hold 2) 2DD 21478D, because 2DD is not actually a jump cancelable move. (Thanks, Akari!)

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select13_on.jpg

Tsubaki Yayoi: I view her as a mix between Noel and Ragna in her inputs, and the amount of easy combos lies somewhere in the middle. You'll get a lot of mid-air revolver combos coupled with really easy to perform ground combos. There's not much to say about Tsubaki, try her and see if you like her. Recommended 60-80%

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Q: I can't get 22A to land at the end of the combo, what am I doing wrong?

A: 22A after 214A is strange. You can do a charge 22A immediately after 214 A lands, or you can do one immediately when Bang recovers. There is hardly any in-between time. When 214A is inputted immediately start doing 22A charge A, and release at the normal time.

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Q: Why is my j214D knocking them behind me?

A: You're doing it too early. You have to do j236D, wait 2 beats, and then do j214D for the full connect. (thanks Akari!)

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select14_on.jpg

Hazama: The trend seems to be "odd playstyle, hard as hell combos", but Hazamas are refreshingly easy. Once you learn how to control Ouroboros you'll have no trouble breezing through them. The only downside is that some of his combos have fairly odd timing, but the ones that do have almost no inputs until Challenge 10. Recommended 90%.

Astral Finish

Q: This is annoying to input, but doable. How do I do it easier for future reference?

A: Try buffering 720 D (147896321478963D) with 5D. It must start with 1 directional and end with 3directional. It makes the Astral Finish must easier.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Q: This should be a simple command, why is it so annoying to land?

A: Honestly, nobody does the combo like this. As soon as the first Ouroboros lands press A and then do 623D. The timing is much easier, and it will prepare you for Combo 7.

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Q: I can never get the second Ouroboros to land after the first, Bang always recovers.

A: You have to press A pretty much immediately after the first Ouroboros lands, and then press 6D again as soon as you can. This is a staple in Hazama's combos so after this it will make the next few combos much easier.

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Q: Why does my 2D always hit after my air Grab?

A: You have to press D again immediately after Ouroboros leaves Hazama.The timing is strict, however you can make it much easier on yourself by high-jumping into Bang and grabbing him with enough momentum that you push both of you up.

Challenge 10 - Advanced

Edited by Elephantgun

DLC/HIDDEN CHARACTERS

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select15_on.jpg

Mu-12: She starts the trend of "if you are a secret/DLC character your combos are piss easy". Her combos have little quirks here and there, but for such an awkward playstyle her combos are really rushdown and flow just like you would expect any other character's too. Feels more like Ragna or Jin than /\-11. Even her last combos feel like a normal character's 7-8. Recommended 80%.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Q: Why can't I do the dash into 2B?

A: Chances are you're doing 5C 6C too high up in the air. The trick of the combo is to 2C, forward jump immediately, and right before hitting the ground doing airdash 5C 6C. This should have both of you barely above the ground, giving you the most leeway for doing the combo. It's still difficult, though.

Q: Why is Bang recovering between the final 5C and 6C?

A: Your 2D is hitting too early and he's recovering. Do the 2D as late as possible before going into the jB and it should work.

Challenge 8 - Practical

Q: I can't land the Distortion 632146C quickly enough after 2b.

A: This command is actually kind of tricky, which is unlike Blazblue. You can mash out 632146C after 2B ends, or alternatively you can do the 2B during the 632146C motion. Essentially, move your thumb/stick in the Distorstion motion and then press B when it's on 2, and continue the distorsion as normal. It should look like 632B146C.

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select16.jpg

Makoto Nanaya: Furry up. Her combos are really simple, playing like any rush down character except that she relies on a small input quirk that takes about 3 minutes to learn and 5 to master.If you download her, you need to do 70% of her combos anyways for the achievement, however you could easy get away with doing more. Recommended 80%

A note on D (delayable)

Q: How do I do Makoto's D delayables? I can never get the knockback/pushback/power I need for the combos!

A: You have to hold D until her meter at the bottom of the screen charges up to 3, and then release it. Once you get the hang of the timing it becomes very easy.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Q: Why can't I hit J5C C after the 214B?

A: You have to wait to use the 214B as much as possible. Otherwise, you won't be able to connect j5C C. (Thanks Akari!)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Note about this combo: The very end has a 5CC 236236D string. It doesn't show that you need to dash to hit it, but they dash in the demo. Most important is that you need to dash really deep when you do the 5CC or else the 236236D will whiff. (Thanks Akari!)

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select17.jpg

Valkenhayn R Hellsing: Slightly more difficult than the other DLC character Makoto, but still easy. Combos 1-6 you'll fly through, and you'll be left with 2 relatively easy combos and 2 relatively hard combos. His transformation links will sometimes be tricky, but it's nothing too big to worry about. Recommended 70-80%.

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Q: Why is 236B or CB (air) wiffing?

A: Fairly simple, wolf air combos require some timing with air dashes and they cant be mashed out. Chances are you're doing 236A too quickly. Let Bang fall a bit.

Challenge 7 - Practical

Q: Why is tAAA wiffing?

A: you need to let bang fall a bit more, or you're imputing 9D too late.

Challenge 8 - Practical

Q: Why can't I get the BjBC after 9D?

A: For the sake of simplicity, it's just getting the timing down. Hit Bang with the 5B either in the mid or low, if you clip the top of his hitbox it won't connect. Just untransform after 9D as fast as possible.

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Special note: RC C D 2C 5B 2C is a very difficult link where a lot of things can go wrong. If you see any of these, here are the corrections:

-Bang hits the wall

A: You are doing RC C much too late. You need to dash before you even see Valkenhyn jump backwards.

- I can't connect 2C! Bang keeps recovering!

A: You are either dashing too late, or doing 2C too late. You can dash much earlier than you think, as well as 2C. If you press it before you hit the ground by a couple frames it should execute anyways.

-The second hit of the 5B doesn't connect

A: You're too far away from Bang, wait a little longer before D 2C

-I can't connect 2C after the 5B!

A: It's a tight frame connection, you can just mash it out if you're having trouble with the timing. The rest of the combo is relatively simple anyways.

-Do I need to be behind Bang like in the demo with the 2C?

A: Yes.

Challenge 10 - Advanced

http://blazblue.jp/cs/images/chara/select/select18.jpg

Platinum The Trinity: While I haven't played her myself, as she's not available on PSN quite yet, all evidence and videos points to her combos as "easy" just like the other DLC characters. You can view her combos here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLH7YtDlkSc]YouTube - Platinum the Trinity Challenge Mode[/ame]

Challenge 3 (Combo 1)

Challenge 3 (Combo 2)

Challenge 4 (Combo 1)

Challenge 4 (Combo 2)

Challenge 5 (Combo 1)

Challenge 5 (Combo 2)

Challenge 6 - Practical

Challenge 7 - Practical

Challenge 8 - Practical

Challenge 9 - Advanced

Challenge 10 - Advanced

Edited by Elephantgun

Mu combo 6 I am having tons of trouble with the dash into the 2B

Challenge 7 :p but yes, it is tricky. The best advice I can give you is to 5C 6C as close to the ground as possible. Right after the 2C do a forward jump and get the timing down so you can airdash 5C as close to the ground as possible. Even then, I can only seem to dash 2B like maybe 1/20th the time. It's a really annoying combo.

Also, worked :) Thanks Setsuna.

Edited by Elephantgun

Got a problem with Hazama #6 and oddly enough it is not the dash. I am dashing as soon as I see him go to standing animation from serpents benediction. But right after the dash I will always get the 6C move not the 5C, I am thinking its from that second 6 from the dash but I got no idea how to fix it if it is picking up the dash movement and reading it as 6C.

Got a problem with Hazama #6 and oddly enough it is not the dash. I am dashing as soon as I see him go to standing animation from serpents benediction. But right after the dash I will always get the 6C move not the 5C, I am thinking its from that second 6 from the dash but I got no idea how to fix it if it is picking up the dash movement and reading it as 6C.

You need to doubletap right, let go of all directional inputs, and then press C. The timing is strict, but once you get the hang of it it's not difficult. If you're still having trouble landing it, try dash canceling a bit earlier if you can.

These challenges are completed with enough practice, as with most fighters.... although I think 2D fighter experience helps to an extent. This isn't really a game where you can mash and come out with a few victories like Tekken (not knocking the series as I used to play it a lot).

If it helps, timing is very strict in this game (to a point), so you can't mash through a lot of combos because of this. For example, if you mash C too much w/ Jin he just performs sekkaijin (I did this a lot early on) so you really have to train yourself to hit that button at exactly the right time, without getting impatient. I kind of like this aspect though as it teaches you to be a bit more disciplined, which will only further my experience in more fighters. :D

I'm not really close to 50% yet unfortunately (playing another game for a bit) but I'm stuck on Makoto's 7th challenge, which is doable but I will return to it soon.

Just practice. I've got about 75 done so far and It's pretty tough to find anymore to do, but im getting there. Just practice until you have in down to the point to where you can pull it off at the speed they want. Some things are timing specific but everything else is just white hot blinding speed

I don't have the finger dexterity for it, I just don't. Else I would of learned to play the guitar by now. Somethings are easier to some than others. I'd have to spend a really really really really long time to get these combos down, and I don't have the patience for it at this point. If this was like the only game I had to play for awhile, you'd bet your butt I'd go crazy and train, but unfortunately I do not have the time for it.

I tried my hardest, I spent like 3 hours trying to do Mission 3's first combo with Tsubaki, and I got it down pretty darn well, but I just couldn't get the last hit to connect at all, no matter how good my timing was, so yeah, that's about my limit right there.

Anyway as for the rest of you guys, and the future posters who will be posting here, good luck, you'll need it.

Just practice. I've got about 75 done so far and It's pretty tough to find anymore to do, but im getting there. Just practice until you have in down to the point to where you can pull it off at the speed they want. Some things are timing specific but everything else is just white hot blinding speed

I'm at about the same place. I have around 90 done, but I can't get 10 more for the life of me. Then again, I also don't have Makoto yet.... Silly Playstation Store not accepting my credit card.

It's all about practice. Getting to level 40 in Blazblue CT and reading some stuff on Dustloop helped a lot.

These trials make my head hurt. I finally managed to get 70 done (it said 50%, I'm assuming that's 70 since I don't have Mu unlocked and haven't bought Makoto), but the rest are proving super hard.

For Noel's trials, how do you do 5D jD(drive)? I can't figure out how to jump during drive, she ignores my jump input and continues on the ground. I never really learned how to play Noel in CT. Or really anyone, for that matter.

Another question, for Ragna, how do you do 5D - no command - 22C? I tried mashing, and I tried at various intervals during the second D hit, but I have never gotten it to work. If I could do that, I bet I could do almost all of his combos, but I think I have only 6 or 7 done right now.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out Carl's combos or Arakune's bug combos. Argh. I also can't seem to connect Hakumen's bounce combo at all, I'm stuck at 5 or so.

These trials make my head hurt. I finally managed to get 70 done (it said 50%, I'm assuming that's 70 since I don't have Mu unlocked and haven't bought Makoto), but the rest are proving super hard.

For Noel's trials, how do you do 5D jD(drive)? I can't figure out how to jump during drive, she ignores my jump input and continues on the ground. I never really learned how to play Noel in CT. Or really anyone, for that matter.

Another question, for Ragna, how do you do 5D - no command - 22C? I tried mashing, and I tried at various intervals during the second D hit, but I have never gotten it to work. If I could do that, I bet I could do almost all of his combos, but I think I have only 6 or 7 done right now.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out Carl's combos or Arakune's bug combos. Argh. I also can't seem to connect Hakumen's bounce combo at all, I'm stuck at 5 or so.

For Noel honestly just hit jD at the end of 5D ... i really cant explain it since i main Noel, its something thats natural for me now n.n;

5D no command is letting the full Drive command go through if im not mistaken

For Noel honestly just hit jD at the end of 5D ... i really cant explain it since i main Noel, its something thats natural for me now n.n;

5D no command is letting the full Drive command go through if im not mistaken

For Noel, I'm guessing it's something like doing 5D, and then doing 236A/B/C for Optic Barrel instead of a follow up? I assume it's the same timing, but I was never able to get a jD to connect. Or even come out for that reason.

For Ragna, if you watch the demo, they somehow cancel the second D hit into the 22C move. I've even had it done to me online, but damned if I can get it to work when I try...