Thief Challenge: take down a courier

Ballerium

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw maybe 2 during my playthrough. Shot one. Didnt count. Does anyone know how to trigger their spawns. I have been running around cities for hours with no luck. Any tips are appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you are. Assassinated the ones I saw, but now I need one I can't find one. Dudes are hard to catch also

I saw maybe 2 during my playthrough. Shot one. Didnt count. Does anyone know how to trigger their spawns. I have been running around cities for hours with no luck. Any tips are appreciated.

I don't know how to trigger them, but last night i saw 3 running around, i shot the first 1st but that didn't count, so the 2nd i was chasing and i tackled him with O-button when i was close enough. That was the trick. I found 3 of them in new york. District north

Only saw one during my playthrough so far. Looks like it's the tax collector from AC Revelation all over again in terms of how rarely he spawns. :)

It's funny you say that. I've only played about 10 hours and I've seen 4 of them. I also didn't have the issues others had with the tax collector in Revelations. I think part of it is just being aware of your mini map. I think some people miss that there is one close by because they didn't notice the map symbol on the mini map.

I found 2 couriers in about 5 minutes in New York, the first one got away as the guards started chasing me but I caught the second one. I think I've found a good place to look. It's the bottom left of the map in the fenced off area, it's not listed as a restricted area however if the guards see you entering or leaving sometimes they give chase.

Can someone confirm that they've been able to find a courier 1) after completing the main story and/or 2) after liberating all sections of both Boston and New York?

I remember seeing couriers earlier in the game when I had yet to liberate the different sections of both cities, but ever since I fully liberated each (which happened before I even unlocked the Thief Challenges) and then completed the story, I haven't seen a single courier at all.

If anyone has any idea how to find a courier after completing the main story with both cities fully liberated, PLEASE share. I don't want to have to toss out my 90% completion progress because of one speedy little bastard...

Can someone confirm that they've been able to find a courier 1) after completing the main story and/or 2) after liberating all sections of both Boston and New York?

I remember seeing couriers earlier in the game when I had yet to liberate the different sections of both cities, but ever since I fully liberated each (which happened before I even unlocked the Thief Challenges) and then completed the story, I haven't seen a single courier at all.

If anyone has any idea how to find a courier after completing the main story with both cities fully liberated, PLEASE share. I don't want to have to toss out my 90% completion progress because of one speedy little bastard...

I can confirm that. This was the last challenge I had to get for 100% so I had everything else finished. I tended to get more lucky in the southern area of Boston. Stay on the busy streets and try not to just run around. Wait in certain spots for a while to see if one spawns.

I was running around for ages but got one to spawn the 2nd time I was hanging around a crossroad.

Also use the rope dart on him. It's by far the fastest way to slow him down and knock him down. And make sure to juse :circle: and do not kill him.

For the challenge no 2, you will most likely have all the requirements except the one where you have to bait the guard dog. There is one in Monmouth near the shop. Kill the guards in the barn and bait him till you're done.

Once you have challenge 2 completed you have to go to NY in order to get the list for challenge 3. That confused me a little at first so it's noteworthy.

I can confirm that. This was the last challenge I had to get for 100% so I had everything else finished. I tended to get more lucky in the southern area of Boston. Stay on the busy streets and try not to just run around. Wait in certain spots for a while to see if one spawns.

I was running around for ages but got one to spawn the 2nd time I was hanging around a crossroad.

Also use the rope dart on him. It's by far the fastest way to slow him down and knock him down. And make sure to juse :circle: and do not kill him.

For the challenge no 2, you will most likely have all the requirements except the one where you have to bait the guard dog. There is one in Monmouth near the shop. Kill the guards in the barn and bait him till you're done.

Once you have challenge 2 completed you have to go to NY in order to get the list for challenge 3. That confused me a little at first so it's noteworthy.

THANK YOU... I was honestly about to restart the entire campaign. I'm still frustrated by the ridiculous infrequency in which the couriers show up, but at least you've given me some hope.

I'll camp out in Southie and see what I can find.

Does his icon show up on the mini map?

Yes, he shows up once he spawns near you. Just run after him and use rope darts to slow him down.

THANK YOU... I was honestly about to restart the entire campaign. I'm still frustrated by the ridiculous infrequency in which the couriers show up, but at least you've given me some hope.

I'll camp out in Southie and see what I can find.

Same here. At first I mistook them for snitches and I was thinking I can just kill them for the Westpoint missions. Yeah well turns out you don't need Westpoint for 100% and they got snitches and couriers in that one. xD

Anyway I have been running around the harbor area and the big streets in that area but a buddy mentioned camping in one spot for a while makes them more likely to spawn. So I did that and I got lucky within 5-10 minutes. Almost missed him because I was checking mails.

I was already wondering if there are any missions with a 100% snitch spawn I could use to get this one done. Oh and I had the daytime hack on but I have no idea if the daytime has any influence on their spawnrate. Just a FYI. GL. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Got 100% yesterday so my memory is pretty fresh. Only have to get from lvl 17 to 20 and I'm done with this game.

Okay... so thanks to a helpful tip by Auguscht28, I may have figured out a way to track down a courier fairly easily. He said he found one at an intersection in South Boston (after beating the story and at 99% completion) so I wandered around that part of town and a courier spawned here:

http://i.imgur.com/XKHe9.jpg

I was standing at the exact spot where my player icon is (not the "set marker" thing) and the courier spawned right by where he's marked on the map there (by the little red icon). I was just moving around slowly (walking... not running), and I took that photo immediately after he appeared. For what it's worth, it happened during daytime in the game. I ran after him for a while and used a rope dart on him, but unfortunately I did that by a bunch of other guards... All hell broke loose after that and the courier got away.

The reason I think this might be a solution? I went right back to that spot, slowly walked around again at that intersection (and by this time the sun had gone down in the game), and within a few minutes another courier spawned at the EXACT same spot. I ran after him, waited until we weren't around any other guards (after what happened to me the first time), got close enough for a tackle, pressed circle, laid him out... and it registered for a completed portion of the challenge. VICTORY.

If anyone else needs this part of the challenge, please head to this same spot in Boston and see if you can confirm if this is a definite spawn point or if I'm just a lucky SOB.

Good luck!

Edited by Hitman3315

Okay... so thanks to a helpful tip by Auguscht28, I may have figured out a way to track down a courier fairly easily. He said he found one at an intersection in South Boston (after beating the story and at 99% completion) so I wandered around that part of town and a courier spawned here:

http://i.imgur.com/XKHe9.jpg

I was standing at the exact spot where my player icon is (not the "set marker" thing) and the courier spawned right by where he's marked on the map there (by the little red icon). I was just moving around slowly (walking... not running), and I took that photo immediately after he appeared. For what it's worth, it happened during daytime in the game. I ran after him for a while and used a rope dart on him, but unfortunately I did that by a bunch of other guards... All hell broke loose after that and the courier got away.

The reason I think this might be a solution? I went right back to that spot, slowly walked around again at that intersection (and by this time the sun had gone down in the game), and within a few minutes another courier spawned at the EXACT same spot. I ran after him, waited until we weren't around any other guards (after what happened to me the first time), got close enough for a tackle, pressed circle, laid him out... and it registered for a completed portion of the challenge. VICTORY.

If anyone else needs this part of the challenge, please head to this same spot in Boston and see if you can confirm if this is a definite spawn point or if I'm just a lucky SOB.

Good luck!

I'm also at that point, in the game. I have 99% and I've completed the storyline. I started running around at that intersection for 10 minutes but no luck. Then I re-read your bit about walking around the intersection slowly and amazingly enough: barely one minute into walking around, a courier spawned! I got him without any trouble and the challenge was completed.

Someone should take notice of this and post this spawn point in official challenges guides. Thanks for the hint, dude. It totally worked!

I'm also at that point, in the game. I have 99% and I've completed the storyline. I started running around at that intersection for 10 minutes but no luck. Then I re-read your bit about walking around the intersection slowly and amazingly enough: barely one minute into walking around, a courier spawned! I got him without any trouble and the challenge was completed.

Someone should take notice of this and post this spawn point in official challenges guides. Thanks for the hint, dude. It totally worked!

Awesome! So it seems to be confirmed... go to that spot, slowly WALK around the intersection for a bit, and the courier will spawn. Thanks for the props.

The courier will have a red icon above his head and the same icon will be on the minimap, I have seen 3, just make sure that when you do see one, you tackle him, shooting or assassinating the courier will not complete the challenge, you must tackle by using the :circle: button

I saw this on GameFAQs:

Originally Posted by meshp1318

Basically get to Notorius level 3, and keep killing until Jagers appear, when you start taking out about 4-6 of them a courier will then appear seems to work every time.

I tried that. I was killing Jagers for like 20 minutes and not a single courier appeared. This worked much better for me.

I found on another forum that somebody said if you wait right up north of the lowest harbor master spot in New York, one will appear within at least 10 minutes. So that's what I did, and it worked (post-game).

Seems like the trick is just standing still long enough for one to spawn.

Have to be careful though, since there's no audio alert for when they appear. Also, would recommend throwing a poison dart at them if you're having trouble catching up. Just make sure you'll be able to tackle them before they die.

Edited by Pokii