We Can Fend For Ourselves!!!

olsen77

I can't believe I actually have to make a post like this. :facepalm: This comes straight from the Guide Team though.

We are not allowing you guys to copy guides from x360a anymore. If it needs to be done, a Guide Team member will do it. Copying a guide is plain lazy, especially if a game has just come out. If you want a guide up right away, then write one!!! We have a large enough community and enough members that this shouldn't even be an issue anymore.

If we see that a guide you've submitted is copied from x360a, even with permission, it will be rejected straight away. It won't be stuck and it won't be loaded to the site.

We've let it slide in the past, but no more though. We're almost two years old. It's time we start fending for ourselves.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you still allowed to quote or take advice from guides written on the sister site or do they have to be 100% original? For instance if you saw a tip on x360a that would also apply to PS3 that you hadn't known about

You're allowed to quote, provide links to external sources and the like (with proper credit) but the majority of the work needs to be original and that of the writer. Copy 'n pasting isn't acceptable anymore, even with slight tweaks or modifications.

We feel this is in the best interests of the site as a whole. There are plenty of talented Guide writers here and our community is large enough that newcomers can become part of the submission process as well. Those who have been submitting site-swaps will simply have to gain a fresh perspective on their own original creativity.

I understand.The Blur Guide in the Blur thread was copied to help the users on this site cause, im use to someone just making a new guide and then i go to ask a mod to close mine, this time it didn't happen, so i continued to work with one of the other members(Sidedish120) from the sister site to work on the one on this site.

We have reached the age that we should stand and walk by ourselves, so why not now.

TBH: I dont claim it as my own.

Edited by GODCHILD1020

Well out of my 12 guides I have done I can say that I have only used descriptions for 3 trophies I believe.

So I can say that the rest is all my own work. I feel that I have accomplished something if I write it by myself.

But the descriptions I have used is for one simple reason: The info I would of wrote for that trophy would of been almost word for word if I done it myself. So it just saved a little time for me to ask permission and use the info for that 1 trophy.

:)

In fact, that's not enough! We should tear down all the copied guides we already have loaded and go from scratch! I vote starting with GTA IV. ;)

TBH I don't think this is a bad idea. I think we should keep them up there until someone makes one. Although the GTA guide that you have posted has been used alot of times and contain alot of information so I think that would be hard to replace it.

I remember Platinum contacted me a while ago about trying to replace the Mirrors Edge guide on here. It was a great idea but I thought the guide we have is sufficient.

TBH I don't think this is a bad idea. I think we should keep them up there until someone makes one. Although the GTA guide that you have posted has been used alot of times and contain alot of information so I think that would be hard to replace it.
It should definitely be replaced, preferably by someone who owns a copy of GTA IV for the PS3. Having one for the 360 doesn't help much when people ask me questions about the PS3 version (and there are differences). I feel it's like a big black mark against me to have my name on something copied like that, because all my other guides are written by myself with game in hand, and I do my best to keep them up to date as people bring new information to light. Just ask the Guide Team how many times I've pestered them for updates to my Prototype guide.

Can't do it for GTA IV, though. Really a disgrace to myself and the site as a whole.

Can't do it for GTA IV, though. Really a disgrace to myself and the site as a whole.

You copied a game that you didn't play or platinum. ( Correct me if im wrong.) So why should every Guide be done over. I Got the info for the Blur guide from a member of the sister site, but i can give info for all trophies, asked at any give time (With a description of the trophy) now that i have played it and soon to platinum when i get my system back.

I know it's up to the Guide Team and The Admin, so im not trying to start anything.

Edited by GODCHILD1020

You copied a game that you didn't play or platinum. ( Correct me if im wrong.) So why should every Guide be done over. I Got the info for the Blur guide from a member of the sister site, but i can give info for all trophies, asked at any give time (With a description of the trophy) not that i have played it and soon to platinum when i get my system back.

I know it's up to the Guide Team and The Admin, so im not trying to start anything.

When the GTA guide was written, the site was still less than a year old. It's not like it was posted recently. It's the same thing with the Mirror's Edge guide.

You copied a game that you didn't play or platinum. ( Correct me if im wrong.) So why should every Guide be done over. I Got the info for the Blur guide from a member of the sister site, but i can give info for all trophies, asked at any give time (With a description of the trophy) now that i have played it and soon to platinum when i get my system back.
Why should it be done over? Because if you got (or are going to get) the platinum and can give info yourself, there's no need for you to copy in the first place. That's pretty much what the entire OP says here man.

Also I clearly said I did play GTA IV, but on a different system. Not that I didn't play it at all. Please pay a little more attention to the conversation.

Edited by mjc0961

Okay, if you insist. There goes some Voodoo Dice Youtube videos then.:whistle: Well yeah, I guess you guys are right. It's good to be original. Besides, if anyone ever needs extra help, they can just look at X360A anyway.

We're growing up.:pout: <-- Tears of happiness.

I don't think they are saying that you can't link vids and stuff. They are just saying if you are going to make a guide, actually make it yourself. They can correct me if I am wrong however.

When the GTA guide was written, the site was still less than a year old. It's not like it was posted recently. It's the same thing with the Mirror's Edge guide.

Yeah I remember a post by Vyrastas. He said the site was still very young and that was when there were few members. Therefore a few guides were brought over to give us a bit of content & get the ball rolling.

I understand. I understand that the copied Guides should be done over to reflect what this site has accomplished so far, that is why we shouldnt copy anything from the sister site, cause we can walk and talk for ourselves now.

Why should it be done over? Because if you got (or are going to get) the platinum and can give info yourself, there's no need for you to copy in the first place. That's pretty much what the entire OP says here man.

Also I clearly said I did play GTA IV, but on a different system. Not that I didn't play it at all. Please pay a little more attention to the conversation.

Sorry MJC when I read through your post the first time i didn't read correctly and now i see that you stated you had it for 360, i just looked at you trophy card and it didn't state that you played it.. So Sorry. That is true but when i did get the info i didn't know much about Blur that is why i asked for the info to be used over here and know that i think about it, it should be written over to reflect that i have accomplished something in blur.

I understand why GTA should be done over cause one of the youtube videos are strictly for the the xbox version-- Like the Deal Breaker video

If you want to redo an old X360-copied guide, you are more than welcome, as long as it is quality.

Hopefully we can have our own collectible guides and whatnot as well, but if it's absolutely necessary you can still link to those. We'll just be keeping a closer eye on those things going forward.