stgermain

14798377165_30382c57df_o.png

Header courtesy of Ryukori

Estimated Trophy Difficulty: 2/10

Offline: 11 (6 (B), 4 (S), 1 (G))

Online: 1 (1 (B))

Approximate Time to 100%: 1-2 hours

Minimum Number of Playthroughs: 1

Missable Trophies: 4 (Untouchable, Wolf Hunter, Three in a Row, Points III)

Does Difficulty Affects Trophies: Yes. You must start a game on each difficulty. You can complete it on easy, though.

Do Cheats Disable Trophies: No cheats, except for save states, which do not disable trophies.

Road Map

Introduction:

Altered Beast is an arcade classic by Sega made in 1988. You are a Roman centurion who has died in battle, and you are ordered to be resurrected by Zeus to save his daughter Athena from a Demon God called Neff. This game was later ported to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, though this is based on the arcade version.

Overview:

This game is very easy to get 100%. You have unlimited continues, and even when you continue, the score does not reset. All the trophies can be done in one playthrough, though there are a few missable trophies.

Step 1: Start a game on each of the difficulties.

There are four difficulties in this game: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Hardest. Start a game on each difficulty, and once the game starts, exit the game. Once you do this for all four difficulties, you will unlock Renaissance Man.

Step 2: Beat the game. Do not die until you reach level 3.

For an easier time, I suggest that you put the game's difficulty on Easy, set the lives to 4, and Energy to 5. Defeat the first three white wolves in the first stage to get the trophies Giant Man and Three in a Row. For the first two stages, do not die. Abuse the save state feature, since there is no way to replenish health in this game. Upon starting level 3, if you did not die, you will get the Untouchable trophy. Try to defeat as many two-headed wolves as you can, and try not to collect all 3 Spirit Balls early, so that you can keep the stage going for a while to give you more opportunities to kill wolves. Make sure to get the third Spirit Ball before you meet Neff, otherwise you will have to fight the boss while not in beast form, which make the fights very difficult. Try to aim for about 10 wolves per level, which will be enough. Once you have killed 30 wolves, you get the Wolf Hunter trophy. Upon completing the game, you will get the Complete the Game trophy, and all of the score related trophies.

Step 3: Online

Go online and go to Multiplayer and select "Online Co-op". Wait for someone to join, or if you cannot find someone, check the co-op thread for a partner, located here. Upon starting the game, you will earn the trophy Multiple Beasts.

Step 4: Cleanup

You should have all the trophies by now, but you can start a new game and focus on any trophies that you might have missed.

Edited by stgermain
Replaced Header

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trophy Guide

01.jpg Complete the Game (G)

Finish the Game.

This is story related and cannot be missed. There are five levels in this game, and you have unlimited continues, so this should not pose too much of a problem. Be sure to collect Spirit Balls so that you can transform into a beast, otherwise the boss battles will be very difficult. Here are the videos for all five bosses in the game. Note, there are SPOILERS in the videos.

Videos made by Nururaaka.

First boss:

Second boss:

Third boss:

Fourth boss:

Fifth boss:

02.jpg Renaissance Man (S)

Start the game once with each of the four difficulty settings.

Simple. Start a game on each difficulty, which are Easy, Medium, Hard and Hardest. Once you start a game on a difficulty, exit out of the game and choose a different difficulty. After you have picked all four of them, you get this trophy.

03.jpg Points III (S)

Score 350,000 points.

(missable!)

As the trophy says, you need to get 350,000 points. If you are fully powered up when you first meet Neff in the stage, you will get 100,000 points after defeating the boss. If you are powered up when you meet Neff the second time, you get 50,000 upon defeating the boss. If you meet Neff the third time, even if you are not powered up, you only get 20,000 upon defeating the boss (thanks to jadedxspawn for this information). Aim to get fully powered up when you first meet Neff in at least three different stages so that you can get 300,000. The other 50,000 points should come naturally. Even when you lose all of your lives, when you continue, you keep your score.

04.jpg Untouchable (S)

Reach the third level without losing a life.

(missable!)

This trophy can be tricky. You must reach the third stage without dying. To make this easier, put the game on Easy with 5 Energy Bars, and abuse the save state function. Remember that your life meter does not replenish after completing a stage and that there are no health items in the game. Save after each enemy encounter, and if you get hit, reload. Be sure to get all 3 Spirit Balls in each level. See Complete the Game for videos of the boss fights.

05.jpg Points II (B)

Score 250,000 points.

See Points III.

06.jpg Boss III (S)

Defeat the third level boss.

This is story related and cannot be missed. You encounter this boss at the end of level 3. See Complete the Game for a video of this fight.

07.jpg Boss I (B)

Defeat the first level boss.

This is story related and cannot be missed. You encounter this boss at the end of level 1. See Complete the Game for a video of this fight.

08.jpg Wolf Hunter (B)

Kill 30 two-headed wolves.

(missable!)

You have to kill 30 two-headed wolves in the SAME playthrough. White wolves do count for this trophy. Be aware that when you are fully powered up, and you turn into a beast, two-headed wolves stop appearing and once you encounter Neff, the boss battle begins. To give yourself more wolves to kill, do not get the third Spirit Ball, and the stage will continue for a while longer. Be careful, because once you encounter Neff for the third time, you will fight a boss battle even if you are not fully powered up. You should aim for about 10 wolves per stage, as this will give you more than enough for this trophy, though you should try going for this after getting the Untouchable trophy.

09.jpg Multiple Beasts (B)

Play in an online multiplayer game.

You must play an online co-op game. You will get this trophy once the game starts. If you need a partner, you can check the co-op thread, located here, to find one.

10.jpg Points I (B)

Score 150,000 points.

See Points III.

11.jpg Three in a Row (B)

Collect Spirit Balls from the first three White Wolves in any level - Single Player mode only.

(missable!)

You must defeat three white wolves and collect their Spirit Balls. You cannot miss one to get this trophy, so it is best to use the save state function. It is easiest to do in the first stage, but be aware that the third white wolf in this stage comes from the left of the screen and jumps onto the pillar. Note, you cannot get this trophy in co-op.

12.jpg Giant Man (B)

Collect a Spirit Ball.

Simple. Defeat a white wolf and collect the Spirit Ball that floats towards the top of the screen.

Edited by Viper
Fixed some formatting errors and removed some redundant links.

Ummm, I'm not getting 100,000 points for boss fights, which leads me to believe you it scores you on some basis. I'm playing on normal and just beat the second boss and only got 20,000 points.

Maybe you lost a life & you didn't know, because you can't lose a life during the stage or the boss fights. I got the 350K (S) at end of stage 4 on Easy mode.

Ummm, I'm not getting 100,000 points for boss fights, which leads me to believe you it scores you on some basis. I'm playing on normal and just beat the second boss and only got 20,000 points.

You get 100K pts from the bosses, if you are able to get all 3 power up gems from the white wolves BEFORE you meet the bald sorcerer. If you are not transformed into that level's beast form by then and he walks away, then if you get fully powered up and beat the boss you then get 50K. And the more times you miss the powerups/transformation before the boss, the point values continue to decrease.

I believe it goes:

3 powerups on first try -- 100K

on 2nd try -- 50K

on 3rd try -- 20K

on 4th try -- 10K

on 5th try -- 5K

You get 100K pts from the bosses, if you are able to get all 3 power up gems from the white wolves BEFORE you meet the bald sorcerer. If you are not transformed into that level's beast form by then and he walks away, then if you get fully powered up and beat the boss you then get 50K. And the more times you miss the powerups/transformation before the boss, the point values continue to decrease.

I believe it goes:

on 2nd try -- 50K

on 3rd try -- 20K

on 4th try -- 10K

on 5th try -- 5K

At first, I thought it was based on lives, but this is right.

You can still encounter white wolves when you are already a beast. I came across them all the time. (Wait....that didn't sound right!)

Oh and another thing, you can miss the 350K. I did the very first time I beat the game. I was close but didn't quite get it. It was because I kept missing my opportunity to get the orbs. So yes the 350K is missable as well.

Anyway cool guide!

Edited by Rafie

You can still encounter white wolves when you are already a beast. I came across them all the time. (Wait....that didn't sound right!)

Oh and another thing, you can miss the 350K. I did the very first time I beat the game. I was close but didn't quite get it. It was because I kept missing my opportunity to get the orbs. So yes the 350K is missable as well.

Anyway cool guide!

Yeah your right

Considering you can't battle the boss unless you're in beast form, I really dont think giant man trophy is missable.

Also, 350k trophy is missable.

Good guide though.

Forgot about the save abuse, as I always do w sega vintage games. :o

Actually, it is. You can battle the boss while in human form if you don't collect Spirit Balls. If you don't get the Spirit Balls, the stage will continue for a while, until you meet the sorcerer for a third time. Once that happens, you will fight the boss, even in human form. I don't recommend it because you're going to be in a world of pain.

I believe it goes:

on 2nd try -- 50K

on 3rd try -- 20K

on 4th try -- 10K

on 5th try -- 5K

Thank you for this information. I'm going to make changes to the guide.

Actually, it is. You can battle the boss while in human form if you don't collect Spirit Balls. If you don't get the Spirit Balls, the stage will continue for a while, until you meet the sorcerer for a third time. Once that happens, you will fight the boss, even in human form. I don't recommend it because you're going to be in a world of pain.

Thank you for this information. I'm going to make changes to the guide.

No problem -- I should also thank you cuz I had no idea what the bald dude's name was. 20+ years ago I first played it, and never knew his name. So for that alone, thank you :D

Considering you can't battle the boss unless you're in beast form, I really dont think giant man trophy is missable.

The Giant Man trophy is not missable. You said why yourself, stgermain. Who is actually going to play through the entire game without collecting a single spirit ball? My guess is no one.

That was the very first trophy I got, and I'm sure it was the first for almost everyone.

Anyway, the trophy list on this one vs. the other Sega Vintage games is retarded easy. I wasn't even trying and got 100% easily.