Lower your expectations...

andron

I thought I got lucky and bought the game last friday from a shop who clearly had no idea about it's release date, and I have played through the campaign on normal once. And I got bored about halfway through.

The game is buggy, you can walk inside your companions and enemies get stuck. There is a lot of down time waiting for doors to open while your companions chat away. Probably to mask load times, but it's so obvious that it gets old fast.

Ai for both companions and enemies are bad. It just kills the atmosphere when you have your companion and an Alien having a boxing match until you help out. The Aliens aren't very scary since they seem so slow, and if they come to close, as they often will, you'll have to melee them or trow them off with a quick time event. To make matters worse they are badly animated too.

The implementation of the motion tracking sensor doesn't work so well. The screen is too small and the levels dark, so when you finally get yourself orientated the Aliens are on top of you anyway. Just get used to using the shotgun and upgrade all your rifles with one too.

I think the reviews of Aliens: Colonial Marines will probably be about 6-7 on average.

And that is too bad since I had high hopes for this to. But maybe the mp or coop is more fun, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very disappointed at least so I thought I should tell people. The main problem might be that as a sp game this is not very good, or very scary as you'd hope for in a game version of Aliens.

It seems to have been designed around coop and that deflates all tension. Ai companions shout out long before you see Aliens so there isn't really a need for the motion tracker.

I haven't said anything about the story not to spoil anything, but there really isn't much too spoil either as the story is not the main focus at all. You are running from objective to objective in a linear shooting spree that unfortunately reminds me of Cod....

I have a feeling the technical problems the TC is having will be fixed in a Day 1 patch. There's probably game data that needs to be stored on the system for it to run smoother. I doubt there was a patch to install for a game that hasn't been technically released yet.

Still won't stop me from picking this one up. I'll wait to pass judgement when I have the game in hand after the true release date.

I have no way of getting footage except filming off screen, but I could try. I understand people would like to make up their own mind, I just wanted to give a heads up that all isn't all well with this title.

Actually it seems they are using the same engine as Borderlands, you can recognize by the boxy levels and the interface.

I took a picture off the disc and box with my phone now and if anyone have any questions about the game they are free to ask...

Edit: Last part of video:

Here is video, the quality is bad since I only had my phone to film off camera. And I played at night so the sound was low so you can't hear much. (And thanks to converting to youtube now the sound is out of sync too.) But you can see some of the bugs here and there, and also the location off the first Legendary Gun and a Dog Tag. I have found 4 og 6 Legendary Guns and 11/12 of audio logs. Dog tags are more difficult so I didn't look to hard.

This is my second from the beginning of my second play through on hard. I played through the game on a dummy account on normal first last week because I got worried about playing it online so early. But it shouldn't be a problem as I have proof of purchase.

Edited by andron
Adding info..., added last part of video,

Game is pretty easy on normal, but once I saw a companion get on the floor after getting heavily damaged, he recovered by himself. But I think they get incapacitated for a while if they take too much damage.

Yeah you always have 3 challenges to do even in sp. Many can be done there and gives xp for upgrading lvl and guns...

I competed the game on normal in 2 extended play sessions ca 7-8 hours. Haven't tried Ultimate Badass difficulty, but so far hard isn't much harder than normal. And normal was pretty easy.

The ranking system shows as a bar up in the right corner of the screen, it fills up as you play. I haven't paid much attention to it, but it seems collecting audio logs, dog tags, completing sp chapters and so on gives you xp. Also completing any of the 3 active challenges. I was around lvl 20 I think on completing my normal run.

Annoyingly some of the active challenges can be mp ones, so I have had one that says to buy first Xeno upgrade that I couldn't complete since I only played sp. Also you earn xp for Marines and Xenos seperatly.

I'm actually enjoying my run on hard a bit more because the aliens aren't as easy anymore, but it's still easy.

No you'll have to play mp to platinum it as some challenges can only be completed in mp. You have to level up xenos and those can only be played as in mp.

A couple of pictures of challenge screen and active challenges screen. I have also found all 6 Legendary Guns now and all 12 audio logs. They are rather easy to find. The dog tags are small and hard to see so will be worse...

Edited by andron
add picture

I'm actually enjoying my run on hard a bit more because the aliens aren't as easy anymore, but it's still easy.

No you'll have to play mp to platinum it as some challenges can only be completed in mp. You have to level up xenos and those can only be played as in mp.

A couple of pictures of challenge screen and active challenges screen. I have also found all 6 Legendary Guns now and all 12 audio logs. They are rather easy to find. The dog tags are small and hard to see so will be worse...

Alas, I was hoping challenges are SP only, well I hope the MP challenges aren't anything harder than the xeno upgrade one.

Thank you for all the info andron.

...Even after all I read and the gameplay I'm still frothing at the mouth for this game.

But I did the same for lost planet 2 and that had FRUSTRATING frame rate issues, yet I pumped in 300 hours in that without a plat, guess I'm a magnet for sub par games...

I suspect some issues may be fixed in a later patch, but as long as it doesn't play too much like Duke nukem and closer to borderlands in terms of execution (ie not being 2 generations behind in most aspects) I'll be content, I just hope the mp is manageable...

May I request ALL challenges posted up, as I suspect they'll be the hardest thing to do especially the xeno ones...

Don't be offended, but I'm going to take what you say with a pinch of salt. Many of the issues you have pointed out will probably get fixed in a day 1 patch, which given you got the game almost a week early means you will probably see the difference too.

Grats on getting it early though.

Saw videos and other post and I have to say I want the game even more:drool:. Besides Sega is publishing the game Gearbox is the one who built the game not Sega. So we can safely say that Gearbox does like to make there games really well unlike Duke Nukem which was just fixed up and put out without Gearbox Scrapping it and building it from ground level. Thanks for the videos and I'm sure theres going to be day 1 patch so those issues will be resolved.:dance:

Well I got a little negative as I was expecting much, I'm enjoying it a bit more the second time around. And most issues can be patched or are minor annoyances. Just annoying that a game this long in the making is a bit rough around the edges.

And it's better than Duke Nukem Forever by a long shot. I even like it better than AvP.

Story wise it ends on a clear set up for a sequel or maybe DLC?

And I haven't tried it in mp or coop yet so I'm hoping that is fun...